EPROM Upgrade to the DDEC on 92 Newell - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
RSI Coach

Default EPROM Upgrade to the DDEC on 92 Newell

Hello all,

I am a newer owner of a 92 Newell and I'm currently running the Silverleaf VMSpc software with my coach. I noticed that I was not receiving the odometer information on the software and contacted Silverleaf for assistance. It appears there was an EPROM upgrade that was available from Detroit Diesel which had the code changes to include odometer data in the output to the software. I have recently purchased and received the upgrade kit but I now realize that I have no idea where this EPROM is located in the coach. Has anyone accessed the PROM to know where it is?

1992 Newell #284 "Big Casa"
8V92 DDEC-2 / HT740
2010 Roadtrek 210 Versatile "Lil Casa"
RSI Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
NewellCrazy

DDEC II Information

1) On a DDEC II engine, you will need to look at PID 244 for the odometer reading.

2) On some early DDEC II there is no odometer data. It appears that DDEC II versions prior to about 1992-93 have this issue.

3) Detroit Diesel has a PROM upgrade that will upgrade to the final version of the DDEC II software version (154). The previous version was 141, which might work as well. The upgrade contains a new PROM that goes inside the ECM and a kit to hold it down. The part number for this is R6171618 and costs about $100 with a $50 core charge. It comes up as a PROM stabilizer kit, but it actually contains the new PROM as well.

4) Report from poster on BCM: “I bought and installed the R6171618 part, which is a PROM and a triangular shaped holder that bolts the PROM down to the circuit board in the ECM. This PROM updates the software to the last release of the DDEC II software which is 154. This software version makes the odometer part work properly with the VMS.”

5) Detroit Diesel dealer should have the PROM . If not, it can be ordered from: Diesel Parts Direct. Search for part number: R6171618. As noted above, it shows up as a “Stabilizer Kit”

DDEC II and SilverLeaf Information | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc.

Also see the following discussion on Silverleaf Electronics

http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...ell-coach.html

Hope this helps,

Sean

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
RSI Coach

Thanks Sean,

I have this exact excerpt from Silverleaf, that's where I got the information on the PID settings and where to order the device. The question remains, does anyone know the physical location of the EPROM in the coach?
1992 Newell #284 "Big Casa"
8V92 DDEC-2 / HT740
2010 Roadtrek 210 Versatile "Lil Casa"
RSI Coach is offline   Reply With Quote