Coffee maker upgrade - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
Bikestuff

Default Coffee maker upgrade

Gang,

One of the things that I admire in the newer coaches is the built-in coffee pot. They are made by Brew Express and are plumbed into the water supply. You never have to spill water all over the counter filling it up....just press one button and it makes the coffee. I am at Newell and asked them if they could add one to my coach...and they said "YES!". So I now have a new coffee maker!

Normally, it would be built into a wall...but as we know the vertical spaces are usually taken up wiht AC vents, plumbing vents and a variety of other stuff. So to keep from getting into the wall, they built a simple box and mounted it to the wall. The box was covered with shiny black formica. Water was run from below the sink and power was grabbed from an inverted circuit. All in all a super addition to the coach.

The coffee maker is a little unusual in the way that it works. Instead of running hot water through the grounds and into a heated carafe...it runs the hot water through the grounds into an super-duper insulated carafe. No heater element to use up power. It only draws power when it is actually brewing the coffee. The time between pressing the brew button and the beep saying it is done is surprisingly fast.

One downside is that it does not make a whole bunch of coffee at one time. If you regularly drink four or five cups of coffee in the morning...you might want to go another direction...but if are like me and want one or two great cups to start the day...this might be the ticket.

Don't ask me how much it costs though. I don't think you can put a price on a super-yummy, super-easy cup of coffee first thing in the morning!

Cheers,bill

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  9.3 KB

Coach #653 2003 powered by C12 Cat, BMW R1100GS, FJ Cruiser
Bikestuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:36 AM   #2
tuga

Bill,

There are 2 words you need to always use when you are at Newell: HOW MUCH?

My guess is the coffee maker will be around $2,000!

Just kidding! Enjoy, you only go around once in life - grab for the gusto!

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:59 AM   #3
Newell Tank

Very nice indeed! It sure looks like a space saving idea. I'm sure the factory normally puts them in a place that doesn't use up any valuable space. I too would love to accommodate my guest who drink coffee from a built-in Brew Express coffee or hot drink maker. Besides, I just think I need the latest gadget. When I'm back down in the lower 48, I may have to mosey on down to the factory and check it out.

Bill does the pot stay in place while going down the road and can it be used as well while rolling?

Thanks,
Gene and Darla

When I'm not flying high, I like to be down low in my Tank. Newell Tank that is!
Newell Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
Bikestuff

The new models of the coffee maker have a little latch that you press down to release the carafe...so, yes, it will stay in place. If you attach to an inverted circuit (mine was)...you will be able to have your coffee and drive it too!
http://brewexpress.com/models/

Tuga, you are right that it was not cheap....but hopefully the picture will inspire someone like Tom to come up with a standard way of installing. Newell essentially built box and covered it with black formica and screwed it to the wall. The only two reasons that I did not do it myself were 1) I lack the skill and 2) I lack the talent....other that those reasons I would have been all about it!
Old 07-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
tuga

Nice installatin Bill, you were wise to let Newell do it. If you are like me, it would have "looked like I did it".
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 07-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
chockwald

Having an older coach, and a lot less room for a permanent installation (we are only 36'), but also liking several cups of coffee in the morning, and, finally, not wanting the electrical draw to continue after the pot is made I bought a Starbucks Barista 10 cup coffee maker that has the heavily insulated carafe that literally keeps the coffee hot for hours. There is also a smaller 8 cup version. Starbucks no longer makes this model so you have to buy either used on Ebay, or NOS if you can find it. They are bullet proof. Just in case this one bites the dust we have a second 8 cup one in reserve (kept at my office in California)!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STARBUCKS.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	2475  
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:42 AM   #7
GORDON HUMMEL

This was my solution to "Where to put the coffee maker" some years ago
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	2476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	2477  
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:53 AM   #8
Bikestuff

Gordon,

At home I also have a Saeco super automatic coffee machine and it is a favorite toy....but did not think I could fit it into my coach. (I have a huge galley area...but always feel that I do not have enough storage). Great solution and that machine makes a mean latte in the morning I guess!

Cheers,
bill
Old 07-21-2012, 02:22 AM   #9
tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by chockwald View Post
Having an older coach, and a lot less room for a permanent installation (we are only 36'), but also liking several cups of coffee in the morning, and, finally, not wanting the electrical draw to continue after the pot is made I bought a Starbucks Barista 10 cup coffee maker that has the heavily insulated carafe that literally keeps the coffee hot for hours. There is also a smaller 8 cup version. Starbucks no longer makes this model so you have to buy either used on Ebay, or NOS if you can find it. They are bullet proof. Just in case this one bites the dust we have a second 8 cup one in reserve (kept at my office in California)!
Clarke,

That's a long way to drive just to get your coffee pot!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 09-04-2012, 05:32 AM   #10
speedingsport

When ordering a Newell new from the factory its a $900.00 upgrade. If you paid anywhere near $2,000 you best be getting an espresso machine and a fancy one at that!

Gordan I like your idea of high octane brew!
speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
fulltiming

It is not unusual to pay more to add on a feature after a coach (or car for that matter) than the cost to order it during the initial build. Plumbing and wiring after construction is complete is a much more labor intensive process.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #12
Jack Fouts

I was wondering if the glass cleaner brand was a way to recoup money from the set back from Newells pricing? Or if it was Newells? I'm actually only kidding, just couldn't resist.

When there is a need, lend a helping hand!
Jack Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote