Refrigerator Lock - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Flydrifter

Default Refrigerator Lock

We have the Amana side by side. It has a locking mechanism above the doors which has an actuated lock to lock to keep them closed in case of a unexpected sharp turn.
This actuated lock will not work, and in trying to remove it, it appears to have to come out from the top and back, necessitating removing the refrigerator.
Any insight on removing it to replace it would be helpful. I don’t want to have to pull the refer if it’s not necessary. You know the old adage , ”If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” really applies here. It seems that if you have to pull something unnecessarily you end up with something else broken, like maybe a waterline to the ice maker or something.
Looking for information as to how to change out the locking mechanisim.
Thanks
Ray
1996 Newell, #420

Flydrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
encantotom

ray, i just went out and looked at mine. mine is accessible without moving the fridge, so as in most cases things are different between coaches. the fridge should be easily moved and you could measure as to how much you could push it back to gain access. to move the fridge you lower the leveling adjusters on the bottom front of the fridge and it will lower it from being jammed against the top.

some of the others here have done this more than i so hopefully they will pipe in.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
Jvanloan

How do you know the lock mechanism is bad? The one on my 2009 doesn't work either, but when
i bypassed the lock relay in the Spider bay it works ok manually. Now I need to troubleshoot the lock control circuits.
Jvanloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
lbrachfe

Mine can be removed without moving the frig. I had mine out though for a cracked waste pipe from the washer. Gives you a chance to clean out the dust and.......The switch over your micro could be bad as I have replaced a few myself. You might want to test the wiring to the switch before you do anything else.
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Flydrifter

I talked to Mike at Newell, he says that it only works with the key on, and should automaticly unlock when you turn the key off. So, I need to go back and recheck mine, as I had the key off, heard no click, no hum, no nothing, and assumed it was bad when I threw the swich. He said they have had virtually no trouble with the solenoids, and that it is usually the plates are just loose or misaligned and keeping the bolt from coming down to lock the doors. I will have to check it out with the key on tonight or tomorrow when I go to the storage barn.

He did reaffirm, that on mine the fridge would have to come out to replace it however. It is across the isle from the Microwave and W/D Combo.

Ray
1996 Newell, #420
Flydrifter is offline   Reply With Quote