Tire Life & Age replace after 5, 7 or 10 years ? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Ramblin Ron

Default Tire Life & Age replace after 5, 7 or 10 years ?

I have read the Michelin guide in great detail. They seem to really know their stuff and was interested in their assessment that RV tires should be changed after 10 years max regardless of mileage. So, depending on how long it took to get from the molds to the MH, the life would be somewhat longer than the date stamp.

OK, this makes sense but I keep hearing reference to 7 year service life, 7 years from date stamp, and even 5 years from date stamp. This seem to contradict Michelin and I guess I'm wondering who's right and what is the source of the other life expectancies. Is the info from companies/researchers as reputable as Michelin or merely Internet opinions.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
tuga

Newell recommends changing the front tires every 3 years and the rear tires every 5 years. They also recommend Michelin tires only!

Personally, I follow their recommendation about changing the tires, but I will buy any GOOD tire brand according to price. I have used Michelin, Toyo, Goodyear all with good results. If I had Russo's money I'd buy Michelin!

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
The Newell

Here is a great article by Mark Polk.

Joseph

Tire failure on RV’s can be extremely dangerous and can cause extensive damage to your RV. There are lots of reasons for tire failure on RV’s, like under inflation, over inflation, overloading and the age of the tires. Today I want to discuss how the age of your RV tires, and exposure to the elements, can lead to tire failure.

Tires are designed and built to be used. The rubber used in tires ages faster when they are not used, so more use results in longer tire life. The problem is lots of RV’s don’t get used that much.
When tires are manufactured compounds are added to help protect the rubber from weather cracking and ozone damage. The problem is the tire needs to be rolling down the road, heating up and flexing for these compounds to work their way to the surface of the tire and protect the rubber from damage. So, when tires sit still, like in storage they start to dry out causing them to age faster.

Weather cracking or checking occurs on all tires when they are exposed to heat and sunlight. This is especially true of the tires sidewall. Ozone in the air and UV rays from the sun shorten the life of your tires. It’s not uncommon to see RV tires with low mileage and plenty of tread that are ruined by the damaging effects of ozone and UV rays. Ozone in the air causes tires to dry rot and deteriorate. UV rays from the sun , and not using the RV make it happen quicker.
You need to inspect your tires for weather checking or cracks in the sidewalls before each trip. Cracks less than 1/32 of an inch deep are ok, but if the cracks are more than 2/32 of an inch deep the tire should be replaced immediately. If you notice damage to the tires and you’re not sure what to do have them inspected by a professional.

This faster aging and weather cracking are why tire manufacturers recommend replacing the tires on RV’s when they are 5 to 7 years old, especially if the RV isn’t used that much.

So how can you tell how old the tires are? All tires manufactured in the United States have a DOT number. The DOT number may be on the inside or outside sidewall. At the end of the DOT number the last three or four digits in identify how old the tire is. Older tires used three digits. The first two identify the week of the year the tire was built and the third identifies the year. Newer tires use four digits. For example 3208 is the 32nd week of the year and 08 is the year 2008. If you question the age of your tires, especially on a used RV, and you can’t find the DOT number have them inspected by a qualified tire center.

Now that we know how age and the elements can affect the life of your RV tires what can we do to help extend the life of tires when they’re not being used?
Considering where and how your RV is being stored can add life to your tires. Of course a covered, dry garage is the best scenario, but we know this isn’t always possible.
The first step is to clean the tires. Clean the tires with a mild soap and water. Avoid using tire dressings. Sidewall rubber contains antioxidants and anti-ozones that are designed to work their way to the surface of the rubber to help protect it. Washing tires excessively removes these protective compounds and can age tires prematurely. The same is true of most tire dressing designed to make your tires shine.
Inflate the tires to the recommended inflation pressure on the tire sidewall when in storage.

Avoid storing tires on petroleum based products like asphalt and other heat absorbing surfaces, and avoid storing tires on frozen ground.
If stored outside you should place some type of barrier between the tire and the ground surface. Make sure the blocking is wider than the tires tread and longer than the tires footprint. If tires are not blocked properly and the load distributed evenly the tire sidewalls can be damaged.

Avoid any exposure to heat and sunlight. If the RV is stored outside cover the tires with covers that block out the sun.
The RV should be stored with the least amount of weight on the tires as possible. That means it should be unloaded prior to storage.
You should move the RV every few months help prevent sidewall cracking from the tire sitting in one position for too long.
Following these simple tire storage tips can add life to your RV tires, but keep in mind that tire age and exposure to the elements are leading causes for tire failure. Make sure you know the age of your RV and automobile tires and always inspect your tires for signs of weather cracking before each trip.

Mark Polk

RV Education 101

RV University

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
bigcatwally

Some good information over at Goodyear Tire Wear Replacements - Goodyear RV

1979 Classic Newell Coach
1967 Ford Mustang
1969 Chevrolet El Camino SS
bigcatwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
NewellCrazy

No one can tell you exactly how long a tire will last because there are so many variables that affect aging of the casing,statistics show that the average service life expectancy of a tire in RV service is 5 to 7 years. In fact, it is important to note that tires age more quickly when not used! Tires are designed to roll, heat up, and release anti-weathering chemicals that help to keep the tire supple and resist aging. In the RV world, we frequently subject tires to the absolute worse case scenario; We sit for a season in the sun and ozone, then pull onto the interstate and dash down the highway at speeds in excess of 65 miles per hour, then park it for a few months, etc., creating an extreme duty cycle. Every RV owner should know the age of the tires on his/her coach and be alert for signs of aging.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
Newell Attack

Michelin recommends that the tires be professionally inspected starting with the 5th year with, as you say, mandatory replacement at 10 years.

Actual longevity is very dependent on their "care and feeding".

Exposure to UV light vs covered or indoors, sitting for long periods of time vs weekly or monthly driving, full recommended PSI all the time vs running at lower than recommended PSI all contribute to materially affect useful life of any tire.

Sadly, lots of coaches sit outside with tires uncovered for months at a time and then are driven with little concern for tire pressure. Do NOT expect 10 years of service from any tire treated this way.

Jeff & Leann Shackly
Newell Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:50 AM   #7
David Carrol

DOT code on every tire gives date of manufacture (week week year). Personally I do not buy tires over 6 months old per DOT code.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
86loco

Don't do like I did and buy new tires that sounded like a great deal to find out these supposed "new tires" were already 3 years after the manufacturing date. I'm realizing this can be all to common. And by all right my tires were not new when installed 1 1/2 years ago and are now already 4 1/2 years old. Now its after the fact, right?
Old 09-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
prairieschooner

All great advice so far and a great article by Mark Polk.
Another thing to consider is that Newell's current recommendations on tires may not be appropriate for our older coaches. There was another discussion on tires and their suggestion to upgrade the tire size. As I remember that also has to do with the 3 year suggestion. I do plan on on replacing our steer tires after 5-7 years just because it sounds like a good idea.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
Twins

IMHO the rule to change tires at 3,4,5, years or whatever, regardless of their condition, is contradictory to all tire manufacturer's advice, I think its a simple gimmick started by tire dealers to sell more tires. The people who design and make the tires know best, and recommending shorter life would mean they sell more, but the better tire manufacturers do not suggest that short life many are hung up on.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #11
Neweller

There is a lot of great information on this thread already. I know this subject comes up periodically and that is probably a good thing. And Steve I believe you made a

valid point regarding the age of a Newell. I think with the older, smaller, lighter Newell's there is less chance of tire issues due to age vs. the newer almost twice as

heavy newer larger Newell's. Most of the tire issues we read about are on on the heavier fronts and because of the superior handling characteristics of these state of

art newer Newell's in sorts get driven somewhat in comparison to a European full-size driving machine but on a much larger size scale. I know at 80 mph a 30 year old

Newell doesn't even feel like its going at those higher speeds, you have to look down at the speedo and maybe let your lead foot off the pedal some.

These baby's move down the road and when hauling the weights possible with a newer Newell you will create some heat on those tires and if they are not in optimum

condition a blow-out could happen. I truly believe you keep the behemoth at a lower more reasonable speed you will in turn reduce tire failure risk any tire.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote