Engine Preference??? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2002, 03:13 AM   #1
Terry Sparks

Default Engine Preference???

Would you choose the the 8V92 or the series 60 in a 95 model 45'coach matched with a HT741 4 speed tranny. What are the pro's & con's of these two engine's? How about the tranny? Any other input is welcome. This will be my First newell.

Terry Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 04:04 PM   #2
Gary Carter

ransmission may make more difference than engine. Even though the 92 series is no longer produced for highway use, it is still in production and probably will be for years to come. Parts and service should be available for longer than I live. In fact with a 400K TBO I hope I live long enought to reach it.

We have the 92 and 4 speed. Would love to have a 6 speed or even better a 10 speed Eaton auto-shifter.

The series 60 will give you slightly better mpg. Much of this is attributed to the transmission. More gears allows better crusing at a lower RPM.

My preference would be 6 speed allison first. 60 Series second, but neither very important overall.

Gary Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:14 AM   #3
TechTalk

My vote is for the DD Series 60 hands down. The 8V92 is no longer available for highway use (circa early 90's) and parts and service are fast becoming an issue. The Series 60 is a much cleaner engine, provides better mileage, and developes higher torque at lower RPM's. Average TBO (time before overhaul) is 750,000 to 1 million miles for a series 60 versus 350,000 for an 8v92. I own an 8V92, and thoroughly enjoy it, but plan to upgrade when TBO is reached. FWIW, I think the ultimate combination is the Series 60 or Cat C12, teamed with an Allison six speed World transmission.
TechTalk is offline   Reply With Quote