Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Anybody Kayak for fun?

New Reply
Subscription Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
03-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Default Anybody Kayak for fun?

Anybody got any experience with buying one of these. Looks fun, some good exercise but I don't know squat about what to look for. Any advice? Only thing for sure is my wife wants a red one...

Jon Ghiles

03-09-2013, 05:41 PM

Hi Jon, the only thing I know is that they tip upside down. Looks like a good way to stay cool in the summer time.
03-09-2013, 05:52 PM

Two types ... white water (tight fit, pull on like a pair of jeans and no room for gear or beer and a real drudge to try and cross flat water with) and touring or sea kayaks ( usually longer with more leg room inside and water "tight" or resistant hatches for gear storage).

Both types could tip easily but you soon get used to the balance and can maintain on the dry side.
03-09-2013, 06:30 PM

Lots of different types of kayaks, depends where you are planning on using them. Most places that sell them will also offer safety classes on the best way to enter, exit, or get yourself upright should you experience the joy of "turning turtle. These are also a nice way too see some scenery.

Inflatable Boats 4 Less
03-09-2013, 06:43 PM

I'd suggest to try renting out a kayak first to have a go at it and see how you enjoy it. Kayak rental companies have a lot of different models and brands, depending on where you'll be kayaking. That way, you can find which brand, type and length you're most comfortable with. As for the color, don't worry about it. Red is a pretty common color to find among kayaks.
03-10-2013, 12:12 AM

Nice way to relax and see some great sights!
03-10-2013, 05:04 PM

We don't but maybe we should think about starting a new hobby?
03-21-2013, 09:43 PM

I agree with others who suggested renting one and trying it first. My first time was in Alaska, and I was hooked. I only do 'flat' water - lakes, and rivers with rapids under level 3. I've never tipped over. My first one was a cheapie - spent almost as much on the life vest and paddles (good paddles are key) as I did for the kayak, but I'm still using it today (10 years later).
My boyfriend, who claims 'I can walk a lot further than I can swim, so being on the water has never been one of the highlights of my life', tried it for me since I loved it so much. We were visiting some friends in the keys, and they had a hobie tandem mirage. He was hooked, and we've got one of those now too. This is great for getting around on flat (though, has to be deeper than 3' to keep the flippers safe) water with very little effort. We've carried ours from VA to FL to CA and back.Hope this helped.
Lynn & Don Watts
03-23-2013, 09:22 PM

Jon I agree rent one and try it. I know many who love it and are hooked like Lynn and Don say above. But it's not a hobby for everyone. If you give it a try with some friends or rent first you will know if it's something you will enjoy.
05-10-2013, 06:22 PM

Are looking for a sea kayak or whitwater ?
Really different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon ghiles View Post
Anybody got any experience with buying one of these. Looks fun, some good exercise but I don't know squat about what to look for. Any advice? Only thing for sure is my wife wants a red one...

Jon Ghiles
New Reply