96 Update Project almost done!! - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #21
Cheri Smith

Wow. Speechless. Fantastic job! Thanks for sharing guys!

1979 Newell Classic
Cheri Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #22
Dave-n-Marjorie

Thanks so much Charlotte Rosita. The contemporary dining room table is "SEI ANGELO HOME SPHERES". If you google that, you will find lots of people who carry it. We bought it new from amazon under $500. It is around 30" high and 30" diameter. The suede dining chairs are from world market $200 each, and color match our living room leather barrell chairs.
Thanks,
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Rosita View Post
I'm in awe like everyone else. The interior updates are outstanding! We are getting ready to do some major interior updates to our coach this year. You have given your coach a design that is fresh, clean, inviting and modern. Can you share with us where you purchased the table and chairs?

1996 Newell #423
47' Bath and a Half
Hilton Head Island, SC
Dave-n-Marjorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #23
Dave-n-Marjorie

Thanks Clint and Fran. When we looked at the potential of this coach plus the cost of updating, it was still less money than a 5 year old gas coach with a couple slides or a 10 year old fiberglass diesel with a couple slides. It was a no brainer!!! The trick was finding the EXACT floorplan we wanted, bath and a half, passenger side dinette, raised roof, ect....The low miles, one owner, and other things were just a bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjohnson View Post
We both love what you have done with your coach. It's beautiful! Glad to see someone that realizes the value of customizing an older no slide coach to just the way you want it!
1996 Newell #423
47' Bath and a Half
Hilton Head Island, SC
Old 04-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #24
Dave-n-Marjorie

Thanks Ken! I know you and some others saw this coach about the same time as I did and it motivated me to drive up that night and pay for it on the spot first thing the next morning even though we already had a 40' 03 newmar mountain aire diesel pusher with two slides. The coach really didnt need any updating as the carpet was in great shape and most things were working fine. We just basically said, how much would we pay for a newell that is exactly what we want, neutral colors, raised roof, one owner, bath and a half, low miles, and then update everything to make it current and our own. I would suggest this to anyone, if you can find a well kept newell with a floorplan you like, think of it as a blank canvas as everything else can be redone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neweller View Post
Again, what a great job you two pulled off. The family and I had been wondering how you were coming along with this coach since you purchased it last year. Very refreshing to see these types of updates going on around here. Between you guys, ccjohnson, rellick and all the dialog we have had going on around here with others continues to give many of us great inspiration as what can really be done to our beloved coaches and without breaking the bank.

Thank you for sharing.
1996 Newell #423
47' Bath and a Half
Hilton Head Island, SC
Old 04-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #25
Dave-n-Marjorie

Yes, it was totally neutral with off white carpet, the standard newell light wallpaper, and the alum mini blinds with off white curtains. This coach just needed some color!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUNNING COACH View Post
Well done folks! From what I remember this coaches interior was mostly all white and the color arrangement has really brought this beauty to life.
1996 Newell #423
47' Bath and a Half
Hilton Head Island, SC
Old 04-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #26
Dave-n-Marjorie

Thanks Sean! You called it right on the spot. Newells like this have a ton of potential!! Heck, I would have bought this one if it would have had 165k miles, 10k hours on gen, and 5 owners. All that matters is the core of the coach and everything else can be fixed and updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewellCrazy View Post
I agree with Ken, You guys both have done outstanding jobs with your recent interior updates and I hope others will follow in your footsteps once they see the potential these coaches have when they are treated right with a little TLC.

Looks Fantastic Dave-n-Marjorie,

Sean
1996 Newell #423
47' Bath and a Half
Hilton Head Island, SC
Old 04-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #27
Dave-n-Marjorie

Thanks Cheri!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheri Smith View Post
Wow. Speechless. Fantastic job! Thanks for sharing guys!
1996 Newell #423
47' Bath and a Half
Hilton Head Island, SC
Old 04-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #28
JustDustin

Wow! What a stunner!

Do you have before and during photos to share as well? I know many folks myself included would love to see more if you have more to share.

It's nice when all appliances are like new/hardly used. That saves a bit of cash so you could use the money it would have cost to replace or upgrade towards something else. Just shows you Newell pretty much puts the BEST appliances in them that you can get and they are brands that last!

Again Congrats on the new to you coach and for making it "BRAND NEW" to you with this stunning renovation.
JustDustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #29
folivier

Just goes to show you that advertising works. Or rather NOT advertising doesn't work!
I saw this one a while back, emailed a few times, tried calling. Finally after a few months got an email and was able to talk to someone who was helping the owner sell it. It belonged to a Honda dealership owner if I remember correctly.
Glad it worked out for you. We hadn't sold the house yet so I wasn't quite ready to buy. Worked out ok for us though, we really love the '98.
But why the heck doesn't a car dealer know how to market a coach? If it was in the condition you say it was, for a 1 owner, it probably could have sold for more.
Your coach looks great with the updates. Hope we can cross paths somewhere.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #30
Dave-n-Marjorie

Hi Dustin, I do have before pics somewhere but not on this computer. I will make sure to post some. The appliances never scared me at all, as they still make parts for all the high end stuff. I know people who got rid of their amanas and spent $2k on a new fridge, and all they needed was a $300 compressor. I also wanted to keep the same "built in look" that the amanas have. The thing that got me is the microwave, it looked brand new but was dated 96. Sure enough, was hardly used. I mean who doesnt use a microwave these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDustin View Post
Wow! What a stunner!

Do you have before and during photos to share as well? I know many folks myself included would love to see more if you have more to share.

It's nice when all appliances are like new/hardly used. That saves a bit of cash so you could use the money it would have cost to replace or upgrade towards something else. Just shows you Newell pretty much puts the BEST appliances in them that you can get and they are brands that last!

Again Congrats on the new to you coach and for making it "BRAND NEW" to you with this stunning renovation.
1996 Newell #423
47' Bath and a Half
Hilton Head Island, SC
Old 04-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #31
Neweller

Hey Dave, is our friend Robert still looking for a Newell or did he find one yet? I haven't been in touch with him for a couple of months and thought maybe you had spoken with him since.

Your most recent post above, reminded me about commenting on the Amana, that was a great way to go getting to keep the fridge, not hassling with removing and replacing the thing like many others have had to contend with. I have learned the same lesson the hard way and will go this route next time the chance arises. Those are nice fridges just the way they are.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #32
jWolfe

Dave the coach looks awesome. When you step inside you probably can't stop smiling. Any plans for a future exterior makeover too (paint)?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #33
Dave-n-Marjorie

Hi Forest and Cindy. Its a funny story about this coach and how it was sold. The owner is famous nascar driver Dick Brooks and owned about 16 car dealerships like honda, acura, ect...in the southeast along with 8 hilton garden inns. He was very wealthy, had a private plane and the coach was serviced at Newell annually along with DD and other places. I believe he passed away about 5 years ago and his daughter and son in law kept the coach to use with their kids. They used it three or four times a year and kept it in the hangar. Last year, they decided to sell the hangar and stored it as his honda dealership. The son in law was really pushing the daughter to sell it and she finally said yes. They listed it for $149k on manheim OVE for car and rv dealers and one other website. No ebay, no rv trader, just trying to sell it like dealers wholesale their cars.

The phone didnt ring much so they lowered it under 100k. The phone rang off the hook but they really couldnt answer many technical questions and no one walked in the door. Then they kept using it in between with the kids. Before I called him, he said a few people were "serious buyers" but never showed up. They were at the point to just run it through the manheim rv auction in south carolina and as they told me on the phone, no tirekickers, only check writers. We agreed to be there at 8am with our checkbook and if it was as described make an offer. I ended up offering 30% less than asking price as we wanted to update it, and fix fridge and aquahot and some other little things. I felt comfortable as I was on the phone with Newell going through it and they basically said I could part it out and make a profit. It was also contingent on the fluids being tested. Since I am in the RV business, I know what to look for and am very familiar with Newells front to back.

Its funny how things work out, I could have flipped it two weeks later for $40k+ profit, but decided against as when I went through the coach front to back realizing what I had and besides, when will another one of these come across for me in this condition and floorplan. If they would have just marketed like a RV and not a car, they would have made $50k more and I would have never had a chance to have this wonderful coach.

RVs are depreciating assets, this was my lucky chance to buy what I wanted, fully update it, and hopefully in a few years if we decide to quit rving, sell it for what we have into it. Thats a rare thing in this market for sure. Guess it was just meant to be LOL.
Thanks,
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Just goes to show you that advertising works. Or rather NOT advertising doesn't work!
I saw this one a while back, emailed a few times, tried calling. Finally after a few months got an email and was able to talk to someone who was helping the owner sell it. It belonged to a Honda dealership owner if I remember correctly.
Glad it worked out for you. We hadn't sold the house yet so I wasn't quite ready to buy. Worked out ok for us though, we really love the '98.
But why the heck doesn't a car dealer know how to market a coach? If it was in the condition you say it was, for a 1 owner, it probably could have sold for more.
Your coach looks great with the updates. Hope we can cross paths somewhere.
1996 Newell #423
47' Bath and a Half
Hilton Head Island, SC
Old 04-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #34
Dave-n-Marjorie

Robert ended up buying a 08 signature 45' quad for $175k. Couldnt find a newell that he liked. Yes, all the appliances can be fixed, if someone says no, I get someone else LOL. I like the consistency of how the kitchen is, always like that built in look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neweller View Post
Hey Dave, is our friend Robert still looking for a Newell or did he find one yet? I haven't been in touch with him for a couple of months and thought maybe you had spoken with him since.

Your most recent post above, reminded me about commenting on the Amana, that was a great way to go getting to keep the fridge, not hassling with removing and replacing the thing like many others have had to contend with. I have learned the same lesson the hard way and will go this route next time the chance arises. Those are nice fridges just the way they are.
1996 Newell #423
47' Bath and a Half
Hilton Head Island, SC
Old 04-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #35
Dave-n-Marjorie

Hi Jay, the outside has one dent on the crown where he hit the hangar door but I probably wont fix that as it is so minor. Since the coach was kept indoors almost all its life and only has 65k miles, it really doesnt need anything done on outside. I would love to repaint the black stripe, blue to match our towcar but wife says no!!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jWolfe View Post
Dave the coach looks awesome. When you step inside you probably can't stop smiling. Any plans for a future exterior makeover too (paint)?
1996 Newell #423
47' Bath and a Half
Hilton Head Island, SC
Old 04-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #36
Dave-n-Marjorie

Default More requested pics.

Here are some pics of the fiat tow car, golf cart and lift and how I redid the outside entertainment. I chopped the jenn-air grill box as alot of it was wasted space, and put a 32" led tv on a swing arm. The soundbar is at the bottom and also has a fm radio and plays dvds and cds.
Name:  0430131305.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  15.5 KBName:  0430131306.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  18.6 KBClick image for larger version

Name:	0430131304.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	4047Click image for larger version

Name:	0430131500.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	4048Click image for larger version

Name:	0430131500a.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	4049Click image for larger version

Name:	0430131501.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	4050
1996 Newell #423
47' Bath and a Half
Hilton Head Island, SC
Old 04-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #37
stewart33

I love everything about your makeover. Everything!!! Beautiful Newell coach! You hooked it up and looks like you are taking great advantage of the storage bay. The wife likes the zebra print and teal. Pops of color and print. Looks like the cats are cozy and modeling the new bedding.
stewart33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #38
folivier

Wow, what a great story Dave! And you've taken a great find and made it even better by customizing the interior.
Their loss and your gain.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:05 AM   #39
brwint

We were one of the tire kickers at twice the price. If it would have been available for under a $100k at that time I would have cut the check. I agree with all the others and their positive comments, it looks great. It is exactly what we are looking for as new as we can fined with 60 series and NO slides. Love the passenger side dinette.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:08 AM   #40
rellick

Great Job, and great taste, I really appreciate when people build or rebuild something to personalize it for themselves. The best things in my opinion are how built custom and they are not bought off of a production line. You have a one of a kind coach and I'm sure you will enjoy it for years to come

22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote