solar panel roof space - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2013, 06:01 AM   #1
Mountain Man

Default solar panel roof space

Some of the coaches I am looking at have very busy roofs. One of the things I would want to do is add around 400 watts of Solar, to which ever newell I buy. Are there certain models/years that have a "less busy" roof than others? Anyone who has added solar, what issues did you have with it?

Thank you for your time,

Mountain Man

Mountain Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
folivier

I put 4- 60watt panels on my 39' 1993. Had plenty of space with the basement airs. No problems mounting them or running the wires. I used a pvc square waterproof box to combine the wires on the roof then ran 2 heavy gauge wires through the air scoop on the end of the the rear cap down into the engine compartment where I mounted the controller on the forward firewall.
Haven't decided yet if I want panels on my '98. Running the wires might be a bit more difficult but I haven't looked at it yet.
So a coach with basement air conditioners would give you a larger space for mounting.

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
rellick

Here is a video of flex solar panels I found interesting [video=youtube;M00EcZ1a7Lg]
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Neweller

Great share Keith. This really give folks an idea of how to install flexible solar. There are a few manufacturers making this sort of product and I like the Flex Power Mat by Uni-Solar probably the best. Higher efficiency and no junction boxes to worry about.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
Randy J

That flex solar panels are pretty neat.

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
folivier

Since one of the enemies of solar panel power output is heat I wonder how these flex panels are affected by heat buildup on the roof?
Standard panels usually are mounted with a couple inches of air space which helps keep the panels from overheating.
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

Old 04-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
Neweller

Forest that is is an interesting question. Back in Colorado we installed thousands of panels on various kinds of roofs and we had entertained the idea of going with Uni-Solar flexible panels but decided not to do to 1) it being the newer technology and 2) everything we were doing was with PPL's making it too risky for investors..

There were a couple of companies pushing the product down in Arizona where it gets much hotter and I think that would give us a pretty good answer dependent on their results. I will have to dig up some information from my old constituents and see how things turned out.

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 04-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
rellick

That is a good point Forrest, I just stumbled across them a couple of years ago when I was researching some wind and solar options, there was a company making these solar panels on a large scale printing press which made them alot cheaper to make plus making them flexible ill see if I can find what company that was. I think it was a German company then they were making them somewhere in the US also.
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #9
folivier

I'm not trying to downgrade these flexible panels. I think it's a great idea and hope they are as or more efficient as other panels.
Right now I'm trying to decide what would be the better upgrade: solar panels (which would have to be 1000 watts or more to be effective); or lithium ion batteries which would save a lot of weight and space. The major benefit with lithiums are the much shorter recharge time. They can be fast charged to 100% where lead acids can be fast charged to 80% then have to be slow charged to finish to 100%. That would be a major savings in generator run times.
Ain't technology great?
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

Old 04-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #10
Neweller

another great point. Now the combo would be even sweeter, but we know $$$$. I would think the biggest negative more than the heat factor with the flexible panels is that most are Amorphous and not Crystalline so efficiency is not going to be there. But the technology is advancing everyday.

-Bob Marley
Old 04-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #11
prairieschooner

Forest, did you win a lottery?
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
folivier

Selling the house was like winning a small lottery.
With the money the house was costing us each year that'll pay for our living expenses so it will be a bit cheaper. Plus where the heck can you invest the money and have as much fun as in a Newell?

2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE