Air leak help - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
cdat

Default Air leak help

I am guessing that this is a control box for the leveling system? I have a rather serious air leak between the right and pair and the center pair. Does the entire box need to be replaced or is this repairable?
The pic of the little plug, I'm getting a leak thru this in the Gen slide air box, I have never seen anything like this before, can it be replaced with just a standard plug, or is there a reason for this type of plug/filter?
Thanks for any help

John

cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
GORDON HUMMEL

John,

I am unable to load your pictures for a better view.

I know my 91 pretty well, but I do not recognize what is in that picture. Some exhaust ports have a muffler type fitting that looks like the fuel filter element from the 50's.

My control valve for the generator slide was leaking so I just added a 3/8" ball valve as I don't open the gen very often

The leveling valve assembly is commonly called a six pack. The solenoids are replaceable @ +/- $125 ea from Newell. There is 3 O-rings, 2 to seal the brass base to the alum block, 1 internal O-ring and a seat that wears out & it not available separately. Sometimes the solenoid come loose from the block & leak. Try loosening the solenoid, by hand. If you can, that's your leak. If so, you can remove that nut on the end & remove the coil. You then can remove the valve assembly from the alum block. Clean the alum block & replace & see it the leaks persist. I have new O-rings; Just send me your address & I'll send you enough for all the valves. They're cheap, but you have to buy 100 ea.

This is probably the #1 issue of Newells of this vintage.

About 4 years ago, Richard did an excellent study of repairing these. It is somewhere on this forum, & is the bible on valve 6-packs

1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
NewellCrazy

Here is the information Gordon is referring to.

It bugs me that the leveling valves seem to be a chronic problem, and there is not a good way to diagnose which one is giving you the problem.

So, I made a little jig to test the valves with. It was pretty simple, although the threads on the valves are 1/2-20 that is really close to 1/4 NPT, so I cheated and used a 1/4 NPT pipe coupling. On the side that mates to the valve, I used a brass washer robbed from an old valve, and used epoxy to seal the 1/4 NPT coupling to the washer. I drilled a hole in the washer to simulate the setup on the manifold distribution block in the coach. so to use the jig I applied air through a regulator, and put a soap bubble over the hole in the washer. I increased the air pressure using the regulator until I saw a bubble form. I called that the leak pressure.

I conducted a little experiment with the help of another. I was sent two old KIP valves that he had, I had two old AV brand valves, and two brand new HWH valves I just bought. My goal was to determine the cause of the chronic failures.

I disassembled all three sets and took some measurements of the springs and valve seats. I also used the jig to determine the pressure at which the valves started to leak by. To be more accurate, I should have used a 12 VDC source and cycled the valves a few times. Maybe next time.

Here are the data:
New/Used Brand Spring Ht Durometer Leak Pressure
New HWH (AV) 0.52 47 100+
New HWH (AV) 0.54 50 100+
Used AV 0.47 49 55
Used Kipp 0.54 35 10
Used Kipp 0.56 34 10

AV Urethane seat 100+
Reworked seat, lapped 70
New valve old seat 70
Old valve, new seat 100+

The experiment seems to indicate that significant deterioration in performance. No wonder we can't keep air in the bus. You can also see that the hardness of the seat, and spring height does not explain the change in leakage. I concluded it had to be degradation of the contact between the valve seat and the valve body.

I had made a new seat for one of the old valves out of same cast-able urethane I had in the office. First indication is that something like that may work to refurbish the valves, since that reworked valve did achieve near new leak rates. I do not know how long that material would hold up under use

I also tried lapping the valve and valve seat together using finger pressure and a light lapping compound (toot-paste). The lapping raised the leak pressure 15 pounds but did not fix the leak.

I also swapped an used seat into a new body, and a new seat into an old body to determine if the leak was seat or body related. One single data point indicates it's the seat.

It makes sense that the seat would be degraded by air blowing past it. The valve body is brass and the seat seems to be some moderately hard polymer. That was my initial thoughts anyway, but I had to prove it to myself before going to the next step.

I had two goals. One to make a device to be able to test the valves easily. Mission accomplished. Total cost about two dollars. The second was to ultimately be able to recondition the valves to seal in an easy and inexpensive manner. I will have to get some different urethane's to try now. I'll report back later on what I find.

Of course if the valve is not opening, that's a different problem, and requires a new coil. But generally people complain about them leaking.

Guys, don't throw the old ones away, there may be help on the horizon.

Just wanted to update you on the little jig I made. I used it today to test all 12 leveling valves on the coach. Four would not hold 100 lbs pressure without leaking.

It took about 1.5 hours to test them all. I marked the solenoid coils on all with the correct position, and then I unscrewed the nut that holds the coil on. I did that instead of unhooking the wiring. After that it's a quick job to unscrew the valve body and screw them onto the jig. Since I knew the new ones will hold at 100 lbs, I set the regulator on my air compressor at a 100 and just popped the jig on and off with a quick disconnect.

I had two new ones, so I had to try something on the other two that were leaking. I stole the idea of putting in a piece of material from HoosierDaddy. I used a pick to dig out the old seal material and used a piece of hard rubber to replace what I dug out. Actually I cut up a squeegee that I had in the shop. It was the right thickness, and seemed about the right hardness. I used a little silicone adhesive to seal it in the cavity. I tested the "fixed" valves and they held 100 psi, so I put them in. We'll see how they hold up with time. I know which ones they are so they'll be easy to check.

I have been looking at the old valves with a microscope to see what was going on. All of the failed ones have microscopic cracks around the sealing area. The new ones are perfectly smooth.

If the fix holds up over time, then it will be an incredibly inexpensive solution compared to replacing valves at 80 per shot and hoping you got the right one.

On yeah, one more thing the valves that were bad must have been the ones that came with the coach, there was a 04 93 code on the valve body.

After several attempts with so so results, I am pretty confident that I have found a way to repair the leaking valves. If the valve isn't opening, that's another issue.

The repair involves removing the solenoid, then removing the center piece that is inside the solenoid. When you open that up, you will find a spring and a steel core. In the bottom of that core you will see the valve seal. Mine have been black, green, and blue depending on who made the valve.

I take a steel pick and remove the first 1/4 inch of the old seal. I have two solutions that work equally well. One is more time consuming than the other. The first is I have used Permatex High Torque RTV sealant to make a squirt into the cavity where I just removed the seal. I leave it quite proud (sticking up above the surface) and after it cures I put it on the belt sander and ground it flat. It seals like a charm. The Permatex High Torque is available at most auto parts places. Other RTV's do not cure as hard as this one. Remember I tested the durometer on the original valves and this particular brand and grade replicates the original seal. A tube of it will probably fix three or four hundred valves. HOWEVER, there is one HUGE problem with this approach. It takes about two weeks for the RTV to completely cure. If you try to put it back in before then, the seal will deform and fail. I tested this, take my word.

The second solution was to use a two part cast-able urethane. I obtained such a material from McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/#urethane-ca...mpounds/=gm3q3 in 60D durometer. The closest they had to the original hardness. You have to be very precise on your mixing ratios, because the ratio determines the final hardness, but other than the measuring this technique is much easier. Dig out 1/4 inch of the old seal, mix urethane, drizzle just enough into the cavity that the surface forms a little bulge above flat. Let cure for 24 hours. No post sanding or flattening required.

Cost of the urethane is about $35.00. It would probably do a 1000 or more valves in the smallest quantity they sell.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH][ATTACH][/ATTACH][ATTACH][/ATTACH]

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #4
cdat

Appreciate all the info, Gordon, I have sent you my address, really appreciate you taking the time to help me. Sean, you continue to amaze me, this looks like a great fix, will try this later this week.
I do have one solenoid that has NO nut on the back, but this does not appear to be the one that is leaking, although can't be sure yet. Listening with an air detector, it appears the leak or leaks are coming from the center or right solenoids, will see.
Gordon, you are right on with the "fuel filter" description that is exactly what it looks like in a good pic.

John
cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
77newell

Sean: your tests and proposed solutions are great information. Wow. Since heat and moisture will hasten the cure rate of Permatex sealant I stuck my valve part with the sealant into a veggie steamer and cooked it for a hour or so that seemed to produce a cure. When installed back in the rear 6-pack there were no leaks until I tried raising the rear of the coach well above normal ride height. Then there was air venting from the ride height valves by the wheels. Question: when you said the Permatex took 2 weeks to cure what symptoms did you see if you tested them earlier than that. Maybe mine just feel fully cured and aren't.

One thing I learned today is that if the sealant is thicker than the top recess of the seat then my steaming technique is insufficient and the inside of the sealant remains squishy enough that sealing would be a problem
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:39 PM   #6
chockwald

What happened to the rest of this thread?
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:03 AM   #7
MrE

We really don't want to go there again, do we?
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:51 AM   #8
chockwald

Probably not Jon, but just interesting that it was all removed, and still no attribution, but whatever. A lot going on at the other site......you ought to check it out.....nothing ever gets deleted.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 04-16-2014, 02:09 AM   #9
MrE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chockwald View Post
Probably not Jon, but just interesting that it was all removed, and still no attribution, but whatever. A lot going on at the other site......you ought to check it out.....nothing ever gets deleted.
I've looked at the other site, even tried to register. Apparently they don't want me, I'm blocked.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:38 PM   #10
chockwald

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post
I've looked at the other site, even tried to register. Apparently they don't want me, I'm blocked.
I see you did get registered after all Jon.....glad to have you. For the record, Ken joined our forum over 6 months ago and was welcomed just as you were.

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles