Still tripping - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2009, 02:53 AM   #1
express1

Default Still tripping

Connie and I are still traveling after leaving Creede. We are now at Lake Powell. Today we had a strange (to us) sand storm. Winds about 45-50 mph.
We are anchored at the Wahweap campground... Great spot to view lake from
we are in slip C25. It was funny watching other people not preparing for storm chasing stuff when it hit. We had no damage. Good reason to wash after it passed. SAND EVERYWHERE!!!! In a few days we will move to towards Zion.
We spent a week in Ouray with Ron Skeen (great guy) we rented a Razor and drove from Ouray to Telluride via 13000ft
Having good times.
Still no talk of returning home!!
However this area is HOT!!
Anyone else on the Road?

if you think my spellin is bad, you should sea my handwritten. #437 w/flex toad (STAY AWAY FROM LARRY BELL aka larrynjeri) he is a lier and a lock picker.
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:20 AM   #2
folivier

Glad yall are enjoying the time over there. It's been raining quite a bit here ( no hurricanes yet!)
How does it ride and handle?
If you haven't already check out the Antelope Canyon tours, really neat. Also Horseshoe Bend just out of Page is pretty nice. There is a neat little steak house somewhere around Page (can't remember the name) it is past Lee's Ferry Landing ( think that's the name, it's a popular place for launching raft trips)

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:23 AM   #3
zcasa

Hey Matt and Connie: Sounds like you are having a wonderful adventure in your Newell. Awesome. We did that same trip in April/May of this year. Stayed at Wahweap and rented a speed boat and toured many of the canyons of Lake Powell. Very nice indeed. Zion was fun too and Bryce Canyon over the top. Both very beautiful and very different from one another. Yes, very warm and dry. Sand storm sounded quite crazy. Continue to enjoy your home on the road. Just a great way to begin your retirement with a Newell and all the Gumbo you can eat. lol. We don't take off for Maine and down the eastern seaboard until 9/20. May catch ya on the road.

David and Denise
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:26 AM   #4
tuga

Matt,

I just looked on the map and it only seems like about 2 inches from Ouray to Telluride! It couldn't have taken more than about 3 minutes! Just kidding!

It seems to be about 10 miles on the map. Did you go thru any little towns? Sneffels?

We had a little cool front come thru today; it was only 90! Actually, we have been getting rain everyday which keeps things cooled off. It was 76 this morning about 7 AM.

Wish I was in Utah with you!

How was Monument Valley?
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:06 AM   #5
express1

Default the ride over

Tuga, our ride over was only trails. We did pass a few old mines but this trip was all dirt......and fun.
if you think my spellin is bad, you should sea my handwritten. #437 w/flex toad (STAY AWAY FROM LARRY BELL aka larrynjeri) he is a lier and a lock picker.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:32 AM   #6
chockwald

Matt and Connie......glad you guys are still livin' it up in your Newell.....how is the ride now that the air ride is fixed? Keep us updated on your adventures!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
express1

The ride has been very smoooooth. It rides like it did when Tuga and I picked it up in Madison, Ws. However the fuel economy has gone from 9.5 to 7.8 since Connie loaded things and we added the Flex tow. Doesn't matter thats a non-issue at this point anyway.
The friendship of Newell owners is amazing. We were in Ouray when 2 newer models 06-08 came to the same grounds. One coach had a blow-out @ 68mph on the left front.
After talking with them, the tires were 4 years old and not many miles. He did have some sort of monitor system and all was well until moment of blow-out.
Ron Skeen show me pictures of his right front blow-out. The tire and wheel GONE!
Anyway, enough bad news stories.
I had a spare A/c elec. board to replace on Ron's rear air. It worked just fine after we replaced it. NO INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED

With No return trip home planned,(yet)
Matt & Connie
Old 08-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #8
express1

Tuga, Monument Valley was strange. I have never seen so many people in one place and there was very little noise. Conversations were quiet, no music, just the view. It was like being in Church..... probably because they don't sell alcoholic drinks. Or maybe it was Church, but don't some churches serve drinks?
JUST JOKING!!!!
Old 08-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #9
chockwald

Matt.....Elaine and I went through the "too much stuff" mode when we first got ours. After a couple of trips we pulled the coach up in front the house and unloaded everything, inside and out, and then made 3 piles.....pile #1 was stuff we knew we didn't need, and would probably never use. Pile #2 was stuff we knew we needed, and had been using. Pile #3 was stuff we weren't sure about. After reloading pile #2 we went over each item in pile #3 and if we didn't both agree it should go back in we set it aside in the garage. After another few months of not needing, or wanting any of the stuff from pile #3 we got rid of it.

It takes a few trips, and the extended one you are on will go a long way toward those decisions becoming easier. You may find as time goes by that you don't need nearly as much as you thought, and you will see the mileage edge back up....
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 08-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
express1

Default More Stuff

funny thing, we daily bring things into our coach. Things only leave (2) ways.
Toilet or garbage! not sure which is greater.
Of course Connie collects ROCKS!!!! (no rocks in louisiana)
Old 08-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #11
prairieschooner

We took the Slumgullion Pass out of Creede another 11,500 foot elevation with grades up to 9%. When we got to Lake City I pulled over to hook up the CRV that was disconnected as a safety measure. I saw Connie come out of a Tourist shop with her arms full of "stuff" and that wasn't even a stop. Connie would need more than three piles, Matt keep her in the desert and hopefully the fuel mileage will stay where it is.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:02 PM   #12
folivier

Hey Matt, bet you a dollar you can't hike to the top of Angel's Landing!
Here are some pictures we took of Zion & Bryce
http://forest.djoinc.com/utah/
Have fun!!
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:47 PM   #13
fulltiming

Quote:
Originally Posted by express1 View Post
We were in Ouray when 2 newer models 06-08 came to the same grounds. One coach had a blow-out @ 68mph on the left front.
After talking with them, the tires were 4 years old and not many miles. He did have some sort of monitor system and all was well until moment of blow-out.
Matt & Connie
The newer the Newell and the more and larger the slides, the more important it is to pay attention to front tire selection and maintenance. On the multi-slide coaches, Newell has specific recommendations regarding front tires and maximum cruising speeds. If you have one of the slide coaches with 315 front tires, Newell recommends a max cruising speed of 65 mph. If you upgrade to 365 front tires the max cruising speed is 75 mph. The 365 front tire upgrade is available for virtually all slide Newells. I believe that coach 1230 was the first coach that was built with the 365's.

Newell recommends changing out the front tires every 3 years.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:46 PM   #14
tuga

Michael is right on the money! If you have a slide coach; it is imperative that you follow the guidelines that Newell recommends. Installing new front tires every 3 years and rear tires every 5 years.

Think about it this way: one slide in the front adds about 1100#-1400# depending on the length of the slide. If you have 2 slides in the front you're looking at double that weight.

I only have one slide in front and I observe the guidelines with regard to speed and tire pressure. I check my tire pressure everyday when I am traveling. I used to check it every other day but I now check it every day. I also have the SmartTire system on my front tires. It will give an audio alarm when the tire loses around 16psi. The big advantage here is that if you pick up a nail 2 hours after you have checked your tires you will be notified by a loud beeping sound.

Slow down and check those tire pressures every morning.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:40 PM   #15
express1

Default Still trippin

Hey all, Connie and I are still rolling! We have been in Breckenridge for 2 weeks. Our son came out to visit from La. He surely enjoys the weather.
We went on a 15 mile bike ride from Vail to Frisco. (all down hill) We also went to Leadville ( the highest city in the US) so I was told. The highest recored temp. was 86 degrees! It was 34 this morning. We took a atv tour.
Still having fun and our Coach has been great for a full time home away from home. We are headed to the Black Hills on tuesday or Wednesday. My buddy Ron Skeen fell and hurt his foot a few days ago. He and his wife Jean are headed home today. They also have been traveling since Creede.
Everywhere we go, people are interested in our Newell......
No one can believe it is 14 years old.....Even prevost owners....
I always ask them (prevost owners) what did you do with the seats?
Some don't think its funny.

Oh well!!!
until later Matt & Connie.
thanks again richard for all you did in Creede.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:33 AM   #16
prairieschooner

I envy you guys that you are still on the road! sure glad to hear that all is well.
I took the Coach for Fuel this afternoon, it sure was good to get behind the wheel! I am headed to Yuma in the AM (Mom has health issues) for a few days. We have reservations at Doheney State Beach (CA) for the 20th-23rd of this month so the Coach will only sit a coupe of days before we roll again.
Glad to hear that all is well with you both.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:23 AM   #17
chockwald

Matt...I love the Prevost joke...LOL!!! I'll have to remember that one! So glad you guys are having a great time, and seeing your Newell as "Home"....that's the highest compliment for a Newell.

Give Ron and Jean our best....hope his foot injury is not serious! God Bless, and be safe!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 09-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #18
Richard and Rhonda

The Black Hills are absolutely gorgeous. I wish we were going with you.

On Thursday, some of my cycling buds from Texas load up and we head to North Carolina to do a little bike ride innocuosly named Bridge to Bridge. 102 miles and 11000 feet of climbing. Oh joy. Anyway, we are meeting a guy I biked with for 20 years in Georgia, and a gal I biked with for a couple of years in Virginia. So three decades of my cycling friends are all converging for a little fun. We'll all cram in into the coach for one night in NC. With both couches down, and the dinette made out I can sleep up to 8.

As you can figure some good food and libation is planned. We don't have to watch what we eat with the upcoming ride the next day addressing any weight gain concerns.

I post more as the trip develops.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:14 AM   #19
encantotom

it is cool that you are able to be gone so long matt. the 2 months darlene and i did in the summer of 2008 was a ball too.

richard, you should do a helmet cam, with a wimax connection to a netbook strapped to your back and broadcast live your trip?

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:47 PM   #20
chockwald

Richard, I like Tom's suggestion for a web cam...LOL! Enjoy the ride...looking forward to a ride description and some pix!

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles