NOAA Weather Radio Advice - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
Bluestraveler

Default NOAA Weather Radio Advice

Happy New Year to all of you!

Hubby and I would like to buy a weather radio. We had my husband's Black and Decker Storm Station, which was better than nothing. However, after using it, we found that we need something better. We would like to find a NOAA weather radio that will alert us to storms that blow in at night, so that it will wake us. We found with the B&D that we had to HEAR the bad weather, wake up, and turn on the radio to listen for warnings. Sometimes, we'd sleep pretty heavily and not hear anything until it was a full blown storm. It would be nice to hear an alert before the storm actually hit us! It would probably also be a good idea to have an AM/FM radio band so that we can listen to local broadcasts, in the event of an emergency. We have looked at several models, and we're just not sure.

So far, we think the following features would be good to have:

SAME coding-would limit alerts to county we're in and surrounding counties
Alert mode-so that it would wake us up at night
AM/FM radio
Lit display for nighttime viewing
Base unit that plugs into wall and charges it
Battery powered -for when power is out
Hopefully small enough or handheld to be portable to go into truck or storm shelter, if necessary

Are there any other features that we should be considering? We've seen models with cranks, lights, charging outlets, TV bands, etc. We just don't know what's great to have and what's unnecessary. We saw a handheld model from LL Bean that looked like it might be a good one to get. We also saw a small base unit on a website that looked like it had good features. Do any of you have a NOAA weather radio that you'd highly recommend, or can you suggest "must have" features that you've found useful through experience? We know a good one probably won't be cheap but we are willing to pay the price for a DEPENDABLE unit.
Thanks for any advice/help you can give us!

Bluestraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
MiracleJ

My recommendation would be Radio Shack. Go to this website for a wx radio guide and a further link to their selection: Radio Shack Wx Radio Guide

They have a bunch of selections. Just pick the one with the features you need. Get one where the alerts you receive are selectable and the source (counties) are selectable

Jerry

Old 01-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
David Carrol

I consider my radio the perfect RV addition, Runs on battery, 120 VAC, is very sensitive and has exceptional audio for voice. WX mode has all you want...all channels.

The only thing is you can't put it into your pocket.

CCRadioPlus (Black Mica) - C. Crane Company (800) 522-8863
Old 01-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
Retired63

Try LL Bean, 40$, very small and compact with all the goodies....... No AC feature, and NO BATTERIES to go bad.......Hand crank to charge it...... Looked so good that we ordered a couple
Old 01-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
jWolfe

Kaito Voyager KA500IP

Kaito
What is NOAA Alert?

Connected to the Emergency Alert System (EAS) through NWR (National Weather Radio) network provided by NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association), this feature will automatically activate the radio to inform you of any hazardous weather conditions or warnings including natural, environmental and public safety while the radio is set at the "Alert" mode.

From the manufacturer:

Specially designed and engineered for emergency situations, the KA500IP offers different methods to power itself. Those methods include AC/DC adapter (not included), three AA batteries (not included), solar panel, the built-in rechargeable Ni-MH battery which can be recharged from the AC adapter, by hand crank or by a PC. and the high efficiency solar panel not only can trickle charge the built-in battery but also provides power even with no battery installed.

At the heart of the KA500IP, there is an internal generator that charges the internal replaceable Ni-MH battery pack and powers the radio, flashlight and reading lamp. Also, by plugging your cell phone including all generations of Phones into the standard USB female jack on the back of the radio, you can use the crank to power and charge your phone.

The KA500IP picks up a wide range of broadcasting including AM, FM, shortwave and NOAA weather stations. The 7-weather channels are pre-set and numbered from 1-7, you can easily and conveniently tune into the stations by turning the switch, no more guess work involved.

Specifications:

FM: 88 - 108 MHz
AM (MW): 530 -1710 KHz
NOAA Weather: 1 - 7
SW1: 3.20- 8.00 MHz
SW2: 9.00- 22.00 MHz
Sensitivity:
FM < 20uV
MW < 2.5mV
SW < 30uV
Size: 8 x 5 x 2.5 inches
Weight: 1.8 Lbs

What's in the box:

KA500IP emergency radio
Earphones
User manual
Cell phone charging tips
Old 01-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
jWolfe

For those with an iphone, ipod or ipad. They have a few different NOAA weather apps.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/noaa...410148139?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/noaa...486059426?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/noaa...415411639?mt=8
Old 01-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
GringoPhil

You can also find weather radios at the local Walmart.