Newell Classic Wood Rot Replaced - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
Twins

Cool Newell Classic Wood Rot Replaced

Well found another rain leak on my Classic Newell. Front Left Window Drivers Side, I had to cut out about 2FT x 2FT of wet wood under the window and replaced with 7 layer Marine Grade Ply Wood. Not a super difficult job and I would not be afraid to tackle it again if need be down the road if/when I find more rot.

Twins

Old 12-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Neweller

Twins, your right. It is not all that hard to do. Cut around the damage, be careful on the aluminum verticals not to go deeper than the wood, drill the rivets and pull off the damaged wood. Now cut a replacement size, I used some liquid nails and re-riveted the piece back in place. Then repair or replace the wall covering. When I did this on my first coach, I ended up being probably too picky and replaced a whole sheet instead of splicing it. I was worried about structural integrity. One of my old nicknames was Overkill. lol

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:10 AM   #3
prairieschooner

Next time look at this product;
Epoxy by the Leading Epoxy Manufacturer | WEST SYSTEM Epoxy

Follow some of the projects and you will find that it can repair minor rot issues.
Good Luck
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:34 AM   #4
Neweller

Steve, that West Systems epoxy looks like some really good stuff. I may have to use this on another project. Thanks for the tip.

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
prairieschooner

I have been using it on boats for decades, it is the standard of the industry. If you thin it out with say denatured alcohol the wood will absorb it and when cured become rock hard. When used with the correct filler you can do many jobs like fairing, laminating or filleting etc.
This stuff is waterproof even when submerged.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
Neweller

Sounds like the stuff when thinned with denatured alcohol, it performs something similar to the stuff by MinWax that uses two parts to strengthen dry-rotted wood. Basically the denatured alcohol allows it to adsorb and penetrate, then evaporates, leaving the epoxy to harden. Nice! I'll have to obtain some and play with it on a project.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
prairieschooner

yes, were using a product called Get Rot and also Smith's Penetrating Epoxy. Smith's has a real strong odor so it was less desirable and since we all had West Systems it made it much easier to use. You buy the Pumps so you use 1 Pump of Hardener to 1 Pump of Resin and then off you go.
Even though I am not working on boats anymore I still use it for repairs.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

If you go with the West System, which I use exclusively, I would buy their thinner. You should also know that regular household vinegar will cut the epoxy which makes it easy to clean your brushes and tools as well as safe on your hands. Many users of the West System are not aware of this and wind up throwing their brushes and tools away. Good luck.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
prairieschooner

yes and denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner also works very well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-08-2012, 03:10 AM   #10
Neweller

Chester, thanks for that info. My goodness, it's amazing what natural things like vinegar will substitute for and a do a great job. I have worked with painting chemicals for years and I'm still learning stuff. Darn amazing.

Steve, what kind of projects have you found great results with non-marine related?

-Bob Marley