AC Power Distribution - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
RussWhite

Default AC Power Distribution

Just got my Newell home to Tennessee and ready to start on my long list of fixes. One of the most annoying things was a buzz from the speakers over the driver's position. The buzz would remain when the main distribution breaker was open, but would go away when the breaker at the power post was opened. At that point I suspected the AC wiring that powers the "idot" neon lights located on the panel infront of the driver and above eye level (near the offending speakers). I found, as I suspected, they were connected to the input side of the panel and were fused near that connection and brought to the front of the coach. I removed the fuses, the lights went out, but the buzz continued. Hmmmm - There is not much powered at this point with the main open and the fuses cleared for the voltage monitoring. I next suspected the automatic transfer switch as it would still have power at that point. There are two fuses on the face of that switch and for kicks ( with the power off and I turn the power off at all the appropriate times ) I removed them. I did not know exactly what I expected to happen when I turned the power on but the transfer switch is mechanically interlocked I'm sure so on went the power post breaker. Guess what - no buzz. It is so loud I can hear it from the outside of the coach so I went inside half way expecting no AC to be passed to the distribution panel. Wow - I had power and no buzz. Back outside and did it again listening carefully to hear if the transfer switch operated when I turned on the power post, and it did. I now have power and it's quiet. I figure at this point there is porbably a good chance the transfer might not occur if I went on generator so I will continue the investigation and see if I can find manufactuer and model information on the transfer swtich and determine what the fuses I removed do beside make a very annoying noise. If anyone has plowed this ground before me, please jump in and save me the trouble.
Another interesting observation was the way the distribution panel is wired. At home the source of power normally comes into the top of the bus bars through a main breaker. That's not how Newell did it on my coach. The power arrives on the top right 2 pole breaker. When that breaker is closed power passes through to the bus bars and all the other breakers. This is clearly labeled on the panel as the main breaker. But, when I opened the panel there were big wires, like the ones entering the upper right breaker on the main bus bars at the top going out of the panel. Those as you probably know feed the "buddy receptacle" located in the power compartment. It works but it's different.
Russ '99 with boo boo

RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
RussWhite

Default Follow up

The transfer switch is by Todd Engineering and is model PS-275. Inside are two relays that are electrically and mechanically interlocked. One energizes for shore power, the other for the generator. There is a small printed circuit board and a small control relay. The cover includes a wiring diagram and a schematic that does not include what is going on with the ciruit board. There is metion of a timing delay. Even with the two fuses removed the device seems to function normally. When I started the generator there was about a 45 second delay and the generator relay energized and I had power. So I can live with the mystery of the fuses as long as the transfer switch works and the buzz is gone. I think Todd is out of business but there are probably others who would make a transfer switch if I need to replace the Todd one some day.
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote