Broken Wheel Stud Our Newell That Hurt - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
Twins

Default Broken Wheel Stud Our Newell That Hurt

This kind of goes hand in hand with what I was told about changing studs with aluminum wheels. I switched to aluminum wheels, but didn't change the studs because there was a couple of treads showing with the nuts tight. I can't understand how an extra 1/4" of thead sticking out is going add strength to the stud. That said, I broke a front stud this morning. I did get stuck in a lane with raised manholes, and hit a couple hard. Can someone enlighten me as to why the studs are weakend if not enough treads are showing?What is the difference if two threads are showing or a 1/4" of them? The threads go all the way to the hub, there is no shoulder. Do the longer studs have one? I learned a valuable lesson and it will never happen again.

Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
The Newell

When I changed to aluminum wheels on the 76 Newell, the mechanic kept the front studs as is, which made them flush with the nuts. I believe there is some sort of DOT rule with commercial vehicles that require x amount of stud beyond the nut, but it eludes me at the moment. Since we are not driving commercial vehicles, those rules don't apply. Also, since I always checked my tires and wheels at least every 3-4 hours when driving, it didn't bother me.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:14 AM   #3
Twins

I wanted to let everyone our coach is fixed and we spent the day cruising the interstate.

Twins