HWH Leveling System Repairs Needed Advice - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
Barry Rooker

Default HWH Leveling System Repairs Needed Advice

After nearly seven years, I've few complaints about our coach's HWH leveling. I contacted HWH recently in regard to their newly advertised suspension upgrade, one featured by Foretravel. When their tech replied, he didn't list any features our Newells don't already have. The upgrade is about one week & $6-7,000 at HWH in Moscow, Iowa. Anyone else reached a different conclusion about benefits?

Now for my "problem". Seems that my coach won't stop leveling. I pull into storage & turn off the key. It's at ride height. But over time the coach levels by dropping the front of the coach. Yes, it's level. The bubble level confirms that. I'd rather it stay at ride height.

I've tried hitting the "off" button on the HWH panel to no avail. It still levels by dumping air.

Barry Rooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
HoosierDaddy

I'd start by checking the front travel solenoid. It may be leaking slightly. Also check the ride height control valve. Are there any lights "on" on the control panel when it's shut down?

1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
rheavn

Barry,
If you can get the system to where there is no air leakage the system will stop leveling and stay at ride height if that is level. My system's leveling priority is to drop the high side until it reaches level. If the HWH system is dropping the front, then I would suspect the leakage is in the rear.

If when you park at ride height and shut off the leveling system then the system should not adjust to level. The position that is leaking will start to droop. If your coach continues to level just like when the HWH system was on then your touch pad is not shutting the system off even though it says so on the pad. It is not designed to level when shut off. All of this is based on my last two HWH systems. My Newell levels differently than my Country Coach. If yours is a newer system it could be designed differently. Therefore I'd be reading the owners manual to establish how it is supposed to function under the circumstances you are concerned about.

Hope this helps......................
Old 09-27-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
Barry Rooker

That last line helps, "It is not designed to level when shut off". Sounds like I'm not getting the system shut off even though I'm hitting the Emergency Shut Off button repeatedly.

Also, I wouldn't say I've got an air leak as my 110 volt pump seldom runs and the coach stays level. Not the worst thing I guess.
Barry Rooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
HoosierDaddy

If there is no light on on the panel I'd be assured it is shut off. If there is a seal leaking on the shaft of the ride height control valve it could leak where it is worn the most (ie at ride height and seal once it has dropped to an area where it is not worn. This would not cause your compresser to run.
I usually try to check the simple stuff first....Get some soapy water and a squirt bottle and start looking for where the air is escaping on shut-down. Is it the RHCV or the solenoid, maybe an air fitting in the front. On my '93 both front bags are filled with a single RHCV...If there's a pinhole in a bag then I believe they both would deflate.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
Old 09-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #6
rheavn

Barry,
In reading over the HWH material my system is a 680 series. Do you know what system number you have? It would help in trying to figure out how your system SHOULD work. From what I have read all systems are designed not to perform a leveling function after they have been turned off and on your system the "emergency stop" button is the proper way to shut it off. If yours is continuing to level after being shut off either your touch pad "emergency stop" button is not working or something within the control panel is not accepting the off command from the touch pad.

This is some info from the HWH manual: The "OFF" Button: On some touch panels this button is referred to as the "EMERGENCY STOP" button. The "OFF" button simply turns the leveling system off if the panel is on. If the "OFF" button is pushed and the ignition is on, the system will go into the travel mode and the vehicle may return to ride height. NOTE: On the Newell panel with the "TRAVEL" button, pushing the "OFF" button will not put the system in the travel mode.

NOTE: On a Newell pushing the "OFF" button will only turn the system off.

Hope this info is helpful.....................
Old 11-17-2011, 01:47 AM   #7
encantotom

how do i know what leveling system i have? do i get it on the hwh control box? i have to find it first.

i have manuals for virtually everything except the hwh leveling system and the hwh slide extension control. my slide control panels have two indicator lights on them. a red and a yellow.

thanks

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
Richard and Rhonda

Tom,

I have noticed a couple of times when reading the HWH manuals that are a couple of places that HWH comments that Newell does it a little differently.

Be on the look out for those exceptions.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #9
lbrachfe

Call Randy at HWh and give him the number on the sticker which is on the side of your main control box in the compartment below the driver. He was very helpful to me when our whole system went down a month ago. He spent an hour with me on the phone diagnosing every possible problem. I removed and sent in my main control box which was not communicating with the touchpad and it was a .35 cent part replacement. They are honest too ! I changed out my 4 ride height control valves at Newell last August and reccomend this to prevent leaks.

Larry Brachfeld
2003 #646
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #10
tuga

We (Francis & I) just changed the Ridewell Control Valve on the front today. I guess I should have asked this question BEFORE we changed it.

Is the front RCV different from the drive axle RCV? I used Ridewell part # 6300 BFAB13 on the front.

Assuming that this is the correct part number for the front, does anyone have a lead to where I can buy a spare at a good price. I GOOGLED Ridewell and found a list of dealers. I was hoping to find some on eBay, but I can't seem to enter the correct description so the results are zero!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:21 AM   #11
HoosierDaddy

Hi Tuga,
On my '93 the ridewell HCV's were the same except for the length of the brackets. I used most of my existing brackets.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #12
Richard and Rhonda

Tuga,

The Height Control Valves are the same front and rear. Google Height Control Valve instead of ride height valve.
CoMotion Tandem
Old 12-23-2011, 12:35 AM   #13
tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard and Rhonda View Post
Tuga,

The Height Control Valves are the same front and rear. Google Height Control Valve instead of ride height valve.
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the info. I found listings when I GOOGLED Ridewell. However, the eBay search turned up zero. I tried it again tonight on eBay and nothing!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:57 PM   #14
Richard and Rhonda

Best on line price I found was Ryder truck parts.
CoMotion Tandem
Old 12-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #15
encantotom

hi gang,

here is a picture of my ride height valve. it appears to be from the looks a barksdale 52321 valve.

how do i know if i need a dump or no dump valve? this one appears to not be a dump valve.

the guy i buy my led lights from has this valve quite inexpensively. ron skeen i think has bought some. ron, is this the valve you used?

thanks

tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9644.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1322  

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:57 PM   #16
Richard and Rhonda

Tom,

I don't think that's a dump valve version. The dump valve has three ports. One is air in, one is air out to the bags, and one is valved to a dump solenoid. I only see air in and air out on the picture.

CoMotion Tandem