Do you agree with "Selective Reasoning"? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
NewellCrazy

Default Do you agree with "Selective Reasoning"?

What is your opinion on campgrounds that have a "selective reasoning" enforcement? Do you feel it is justified in most cases or ridiculous? I have heard many folks for and against this reasoning and was curious what others opinions are on the subject/topic.

For those who don't know what "selective reasoning", it is a campground rule that enforces age limits on all Recreational Vehicles. The average age I have seen is no RV more than 15 years old. A lot of those same parks are the ones that don't allow pets now too!

Sean

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
larryweikart

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1634.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	2993It's America and those campground owners have a right to set their own rules and restriistions. However, they are missing the beauty of some of the older coaches that have been restored or well maintained such as the one we recently parked by in a rest area As far as pets go, I'd rather spend time in a campground that allows pets and bans children. Just my personal thoughts!

1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
MrE

I agree with Larry that the campground owners have a right to set their own rules and restrictions (even if they are wrong and ignorant). I also kinda agree on his thoughts on pets and children, but I believe that is controlled by the adults. For the most part trailer trash adults are going to have like pets and kids, responsible adults are going to have like pets and kids. As far as ride, comfort, safety, class, etc. I'll put my old Newell up against anything that Fleetwood has ever had roll off their assembly line.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:15 PM   #4
Neweller

I have to agree with all the statements thus far and of course to a certain extent. If a park is private, then it is their business how they apply rules. If it is a park opened to the general public, I think rules should follow some sort of a standardized guideline set-up by a national governing council of sorts... The funny thing is how people change their minds and attitudes over the years as to what they prefer or don't. JMSHO

Larry, that is one nice restored conversion.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
JustDustin

I think the campgrounds have the right to have restrictions or policies. There will still always be the parks that allow...the things that other parks don't. So there is always a place for someone.
JustDustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #6
Gimpy

It is my opinion that a campground operator should be at liberty to impose ANY limitation he sees fit to enforce unless of course they are against discrimination laws. It is HIS campground so why can he not run it as he sees fit.

Gimpy

Franco Filipovic

2001 Newell Coach

Detroit Series 60 HP 500

Allison 6 Speed HD4060
[TABLE="width: 260, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Gimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:29 AM   #7
fulltiming

I concur that the campground owner can impose whatever restrictions they see fit. If they do have an unusual restriction, and at this time a no exception RV age limit is still an unusual restriction, they should make sure that it is stated when someone inquires about reservations. I would be mighty ticked off if I made a reservation and then when I showed up, I was then told that my Newell was too old and I wasn't welcome.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

The places where I have run into this have all been KOAs.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
prairieschooner

We had reservations at Pelican Point RV in Northern California. When we got there I was told that I had a Bus Conversion and not allowed to stay. I had to let them know that we were not and actually a Newell, I wished later that we had just moved on! They imposed a $2.00 fee for everyone that came to visit, even if they walked in.
There were numerous other problems but let me simply state that I would rather not stay at those places anyway.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
MrE

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
We had reservations at Pelican Point RV in Northern California. When we got there I was told that I had a Bus Conversion and not allowed to stay. I had to let them know that we were not and actually a Newell, I wished later that we had just moved on! They imposed a $2.00 fee for everyone that came to visit, even if they walked in.
There were numerous other problems but let me simply state that I would rather not stay at those places anyway.
Them telling you that you had a bus conversion certainly supports my 'wrong and ignorant' comment above.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #11
Cheri Smith

We try not to stay at fancy parks because we don't like the prices they charge anyway. I don't want trash or kids that aren't looked after or dogs that people let bark and they don't pick up after. We have only had a few problems with this at places we've stayed. So we usually stay and then leave the only time I can remember this happening is when we are out traveling during a holiday. Those are times when a lot of people are traveling and people of all kinds come out of the wood work.

A $2.00 fee for every person that came in to visit, even if they walked in? Wow! That's a new one! How could they even keep track of who's walking in and out? They would have had to had cameras or were watching like a hawk! I would never stay there or anywhere like that if I knew they did that. I don't want to support parks like that.

1979 Newell Classic
Cheri Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:17 AM   #12
1993Newell

Any park that treats people that way won't ever get my business!

1993 Newell Coach Motorhome
1993Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:39 AM   #13
WessH345

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post

I can sort of relate to the same situation, except I got a little mad and never stayed. I owned an 1987 Newell at the time and guess I just couldnt reason with the folks. Down the road we went. So all I can say is to heck with Pelican Point RV Park.