Winterizing - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2008, 03:33 AM   #1
hlfdzn

Default Winterizing

I'm just curious to what extent those of you in the northern climates (that aren't fortunate enough to have indoor heated storage) go to winterize your rigs. Do you just keep them plugged in all winter? Are you running your electric heaters or propane furnaces? Have you drained the water lines/hot h2o tank & blown air and/or added anti freeze?

Presently it's just plugged into a 20 amp outlet and running the propane furnace in the rear and a little electric heater blower up front along with the one in the bay with the tanks. No draining of anything yet. I will be wiring in a 30 amp outlet this week and will then probably run the electric heaters.

The '93 manual doesn't recommend winterizing, but I seem to recall reading on their old tech page that they have changed that position.

'93 45' #320
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
hlfdzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
Richard and Rhonda

It doesn't get as cold here in Texas, but it does get cold enough for water to freeze, so here is what I do.

First I made a little device that connects to a quick disconnect air fitting on one end, has a pressure regulator in the middle, and a male garden hose fitting on the other end. I set the pressure at thirty pounds, and hook that contraption to the water inlet. I use the compressed air from the bus for supply. I make two complete rounds through the coach running water from each outlet until very little water is blown out. Make sure you do the frig and washer too.

Then I pour the pink antifreeze in sinks, tub, and potty to keep the traps from freezing.

I use the manual disconnect switch on the house batteries.

Takes about 15 minutes.

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:37 AM   #3
2dogs

we do the same as richard & rhonda but it gets -20 to -30 here in idaho, I remove the filters (aquapure) to the ice maker and blow out that line seperatly,then i drain the water heater, jumper the hot and cold at the w/h and then i disconnect the 12v pump on the inlet, stick a short hose into a gallon of r/v antifreeze, turn on the pump and pressurize it to 25 to 35 lbs. and open faucets till pink flows (this also takes care of the traps) usually this takes about 1 1/2 to 2 gallons. then i drain the holding tank. and leave the faucets open. in the spring i flush the lines and then hook-up the w/h. sounds like alot but we haven't froze anything yet! dont forget the windshield washer box if it gets this cold. also any canned goods,liquid soaps,aerosol cans ect. dry-z-air also helps on moisture control. hope this helps. brian
87 Newell Tag 40'-8v92TA-HT740 #139
2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote