Added Seat Belts - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
77newell

Default Added Seat Belts

Up until now it has just been the wife and me, but now the grandkids are requesting to travel with us occassionally. While the driver and navigator seats have minimal seat belts, something I would like to improve upon, the rest of the seating is sansabelt. To keep the kiddies safe I need to add a couple belts. I'm wondering what other Newells have in the way of passenger seat belts, locations, and how attached to the coach.

Any help will be appreciated.

travel safely and with style
jon - 1977 Newell

77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
Richard and Rhonda

Jon,

Mine has none except the driver and passenger. I have two couches in the front, and I could not install belts with actually slicing into the couch covering.

What kind of layout do you have? If you have chairs in the front, it shouldn't be too difficult to run bolts through the floor for belts. Of course the holes would have to be placed strategically, and also anchored to something besides the floor.

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
77newell

Default Added Belts

Richard, Rhonda and Family:
Thanks for your reply. We have the couch on one side with heaters and drawers underneath. On the other side are two swivel chairs.

Since the kids are still small I need to secure booster seats if not full car seats that tie into either belts or snaps. It would certainly be easier, I think, to do as you suggested doing with the chairs. I could probably leave an anchor eye sticking out of the floor for connecting a strap to the top of the kid's car seats.

I previously owned an Airstream M/H that had belts up through the joint between the back and the bottom cushions of the couch. It had two sets of lap belts. That M/H also had the swivel seats that may have had lap belts too but the kids preferred the couch for travel.

Anchoring the belts is little problem given the access through the storage bins.

I'll work on it more and let everyone know what I come up with. We are not going to travel without the grandkids being fully secured.

jon
Old 03-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
fulltiming

If you have a booth dinette, that might be an easier location to install additional seat belts Jon.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
77newell

Default Added Seatbelts

Micheal, Georgia; We have a booth and you're right that installing belts there would probably be simpler than the other places because you can slip them up between the seat cushion the the back cushion. What a concept, thanks folks