Broken thermo pane window - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Brad Townsend

Default Broken thermo pane window

Not sure why but for no reason the inside pane of glass in the bedroom cracked in a zillion places. It is still intact. Last night we herd a sound like a mouse trap going off, more like a rat trap. This am I checked the mouse traps in the bays and all was still set. Then Karen (wife) said to look at the bedroom window, I was outside, the outside was ok but when I looked at the pane inside WOW. Anyone ever have this happen and or know why such a thing would happen. It was the sliding section of the window.
I will have to check with Peninsula Glass of Vancouver to see if they have record of it as they are the ones that made it. It is about 5 yrs old.

Brad

1988 40 ft 8v92 TA
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser,1990 Jeep Cherokee 4/WD now a desert rat
25 ft Haulmark trailer
730 watt solar panels, Full timing.
Brad Townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
MarkofSJC

I'm suspecting something small impacted the safety glass. It could be a BB, small rock or something pointed. We had the same thing happen on a car, heard the sound but couldn't immediately tell anything. It took the safety glass a while to "react" and the result was exactly what you're describing. Sometimes you can even find the "point of impact" when you look at the plane of glass from an angle (assuming it's still in one piece)

MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
Hardtrigger

I cannot believe this! Jodi and I were in the rack and the exact breakage happened to us last night! We heard a light pop and the tempered outside pane on the front passenger side cracked in about 3 zillion cracks and continued to crack for about 5 min. This morning I cleaned it all out and need to figure on who deals with tinted , tempered glass pane for replacement! Wow can't beleiv esomeone else posted the same incident at the same time ours happened. Have no clue why this happened but it did.
Hardtrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
Brad Townsend

I contacted Motion windows formerly (peninsula windows), they made the windows and said they would repair the window for about $150 but they want the whole window and frame. Sooo I plan on waiting till I get to our desert winter location in Yuma AZ then take it out and send it off. I pay for the shipping both ways.
Hardtrigger, do you know who made your windows? What year coach?
What a freaky thing, mine is still in tact behind the screen and that is where it will stay unless it crumbles. I may run some clear tape on it to help contain the mess.
1988 40 ft 8v92 TA
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser,1990 Jeep Cherokee 4/WD now a desert rat
25 ft Haulmark trailer
730 watt solar panels, Full timing.
Brad Townsend is offline   Reply With Quote