brake air leak - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
papabear

Default brake air leak

hello, my coach air brake pressure is leaking when parked for 12 hr gauge shows 0 pressure is that normal

papabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
rheavn

Charlie,
No that is not normal. You have a leak some where in the air brake system. When I bought my coach I too had a braking system air leak. I had a fitting leaking on the air brake pedal valve. It was a simple fix. The air brake valve is connected to the brake pedal under the dash. Another place to give a close inspection is the air tanks. If the previous owner did not drain the water out of the tanks they can develop air leaks. I found an air leak on one of the air tanks & was able to stop it with JB Weld. If you are going to try to find the leak yourself I used an ultra sonic leak detector. It saved me hours of looking. With the leak detector I found both leaks within a couple of hours. This was after spending many hours with soap & water---which the only thing I accomplished was getting wet!

Good luck.....................

Old 09-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
rheavn

Charlie,
You might want to go to the CHASSIS & SUSPENSION section & find Ron Skeen's thread on "How to find air leaks in the supply system" dated 1-8-2011.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:22 AM   #4
Richard and Rhonda

Charlie,

That is not normal. You could have a leak in your brake system, or the check valves between the brake system and the general air system could be leaking. You have two needles on the brake air guage. Are they both leaking down at the same rate?
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
express1

Only time I've ever saw low brake air was when my Air Dryer went south leaving Newell.
if you think my spellin is bad, you should sea my handwritten. #437 w/flex toad (STAY AWAY FROM LARRY BELL aka larrynjeri) he is a lier and a lock picker.
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
rheavn

Charlie,
I went in my coach yesterday & checked the brake air supply gauge. My coach was last started & run three weeks ago & the gauge still reads 110 psi on both needles.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:30 AM   #7
papabear

Default brake leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheavn View Post
Charlie,
I went in my coach yesterday & checked the brake air supply gauge. My coach was last started & run three weeks ago & the gauge still reads 110 psi on both needles.
steve i spent most of the day draining water seperator and air tank full of water, compresor on the generator what does that supply air to
Old 09-25-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
rheavn

Charlie,
Hopefully you located all of your air tanks & got them drained. On my coach I have 8 air tanks to drain. Since your tanks were full of water I would check all of them with an ultrasonic leak detector to make sure they have remained air tight. You haven't filled out your profile so I don't know where in the country you are located, but if you are near Branson, MO I could check them for you.
Part of being a new owner of a Newell is learning how no two Newells are the same. I do not have an air compressor in the generator bay. My 110V air compressor(marked as a Jun-Air 500) is located next to the generator blower in the 1st basement bay on the passenger side. Yours may be located in the generator bay. I haven't plumbed the pump out, but I believe it provides air to the entire air system. I base this on the fact that when I had the leak at the air brake pedal valve my 110V compressor ran every ten minutes. Once I fixed the leak my compressor runs about twice in a 24 hr period. How often does your 110V air compressor run? This will give one an idea of the severity of a leak problem.

Hope this helps......................
Old 09-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
RussWhite

Steve,

Would you post the locations of your eight? I have not been diligent in finding and draining.
Thanks,
Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
papabear

compressor goes on about 2 times 24 hr not to bad. i have not done my profile or posted pic i did what you told me cant get pic to post
i am not computer lit, i live in new bedford ma summer time
port saint lucie fl winter time i have an apple computer mabe thats the probleam
Old 09-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #11
rheavn

Russ,
The eight air tanks on my coach are located: #1 is in the first bay on the passenger side. Sits above the generator blower. #2 is in front of the right side drive wheel in the wheelwell. #s 3 & 4 are the two large air tanks under the front of the coach above the front suspension. #5 is under the rear of the coach just in front of and above the cooler with the two electric fans. #6 is located up high about where the tag axle is located. #s 7 & 8 are within what appears to be one tank that sits above the transmission. On my coach there was a petcock on the left side, but a plug in the right side. I replaced the plug with a petcock. I know it appears to be one tank, but there is a divider on the inside and both sides need to be drained.

Charlie,
I'm not Apple computer literate so you may be right on my directions not working. Maybe some one with an Apple can chime in. I must admit that I'm confused why your brake air gauge would bleed down so quickly, yet the 110V compressor only cycles twice in 24 hrs. Sorry you are so far away.

Hope this helps........................
Old 09-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #12
papabear

steve
thanks for your help. it must be to much water in the tanks,
so far i dralned only 1 tank, do i get to the rest from under the coach, i drove by branson 2 weeks ago coming from newell to bad maybe we will see you i fl
Old 09-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #13
rheavn

Charlie,
Sorry I missed you as you went right by. Could have had you stop by and maybe helped you out.
All the tanks need to be drained and then I would replace the air desiccant filter. It is a spin off, spin on filter and is located in the back of the left rear wheel well.
Tanks #1 & 2 can be reached without raising and going under the coach. NOTE: Not all Newells of our vintage have the air tank I have in the first bay on the passenger side which I call #1.
Tanks #3,4,5,6,7 & 8 all Newells of our vintage will have. All of these tanks have to be accessed from under the coach. Raise the coach using the HWH raise function, then BLOCK the coach up in the raised position BEFORE going under the coach. Then locate each tank & drain. Their locations are laid out in post #11.

There is a 9th tank that I just remembered that is round & located just in front of the transmission. It doesn't have a petcock, it just has a needle valve for draining.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #14
RussWhite

Default Draining water from air tanks

Steve,

Thanks for the tank locations. This is a subject I would like to discuss and get some opinions from the forum members.

I did the block and crawl routine and found the front tanks before a piece of dirt fell into my eye It's full goggles next time, if there is a next time. What I don't really understand is why Newell, as careful as they are about most everything, would expect routine draining of the tanks and make it is extremely difficult. Really, how many people are going to crawl under their coach and be able to do this task. Only one of the front tanks is reasonably accessable, the other I am not sure I would ever reach. Could it be that if one follows the proper procedure for maintaining the air dryer there is no need to drain these tanks?
If the tanks truly need periodic draining, how often is the interval? If so, there are ways it could have been made so much easier. Two thoughts come to mind. One would be remotely located operaters connected to drain valves via ss cable and one could pull the handle/ring and exhaust some air/water. Or, electrically with some kind of valve and heater.
Maybe I am just trying to rationalize because I don't want to do.

All thoughts appreciated. Thanks! Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #15
rheavn

Russ,
I'll give you how I handle this & then let others tell us how they do it. I drain my tanks every time I lube the chassis. Every 5000 miles. For me that is three to four times a year. I also replace the air dryer annually. Once I found all the petcocks it is a quick job. Also I cut large wooden blocks that I can just slide under the coach to support it, so that too is quick. Using this method I seldom get any water. Oh and by the way there is a 9th tank that I just remembered that is round & located just in front of the transmission. It doesn't have a petcock, it just has a needle valve for draining.

Works for me..........................
Old 09-27-2011, 12:17 AM   #16
Ron Skeen

Russ,
I have used these valves on my main air tanks with great success. I bought off ebay for about $40 each. Non-Heated DV-2 Automatic Drain Valve. Bendix# 281923 Hope this helps
On the small tank front of pass side drive axle wheel well cable pull drain valve.
1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Ron Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:52 AM   #17
chockwald

Ron, is this what it looks like?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BENDIX.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	1162  
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:17 AM   #18
Ron Skeen

Yes: but I think mine had a 3/8 male outlet on the unit instead of female. I know all I did was take the drain pitcock out and screw this one in which was the same size. I did this serveral years ago. I will try to look up what I bought if I can find the record and will post.

1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Ron Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote