Flat Screen Sony Half Picture is Fuzzy - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
DavidBall

Default Flat Screen Sony Half Picture is Fuzzy

Hi all,

Sony flat screen TV has started giving us problems. Half the picture is fine and the other half is fuzzy, everything is double and mainly purple color. Another problem, it is intermittent, except for a thin horizontal blue line about 4 " from the top that is always there.

Could the not even 2 year old Sony TV already be on it last leg? Where could we take it to have it checked out?

Any suggestions/ comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David Ball

Old 03-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
folivier

Sony is one of the few tvs that not only are worth fixing but parts can be obtained. Too many of the "lesser brands" are junked because of parts not being available or not being built to be repaired.

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
NewellCrazy

If all inputs are acting the same way, yes the TV could have failed. Suggest looking on line for authorized Sony repair centers.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
MrE

I had a 32" Visio flat screen go bad on me. I called some local TV repair facilities and their estimates were more than a new TV would cost.

I did numerous Internet searches of the symptoms and came to the conclusion that the main board had gone bad. I then did shopping searches to see what I would spend replacing the TV. Next, I did price searches on what I could get the main board for, knowing that I had made a diagnosis based on no real knowledge and it probably wouldn't fix the TV. I found a main board for $56.66 to my door with the shipping and tax. I decided that I would be willing to gamble that amount to see if I was right so I ordered the part. It took me less than 1/2 hour to replace the main board and the TV worked perfect. That was February 2009, TV is still working perfect.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
GORDON HUMMEL

Maybe I should hold on to my broken TV & wait till someone needs the PCB's
It's only a week old !
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #6
speedingsport

You could it sell it for parts. But another thing to consider is if you purchased it with a credit card that offers an insurance on the items purchase. Example: some Discover credit cards offer an automatic insurance (if you purchased the item with the credit card) to cover replacement for an item if it has been lost, stolen or broken for any reason. This is a card I use to purchase such items with and I never buy the extra aftermarket warranties.
speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:51 AM   #7
The Newell

Unless you happened to buy an extended warranty, which IMHO is a waste for a set of this size, the cost of replacement parts, even if you can find someone competent to do the repair, is not worth the effort, particularly on one that is a few years old. The price of TVs has continued to come down and you will find that the new sets are thinner and have narrower frames.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #8
JustDustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedingsport View Post
You could it sell it for parts. But another thing to consider is if you purchased it with a credit card that offers an insurance on the items purchase. Example: some Discover credit cards offer an automatic insurance (if you purchased the item with the credit card) to cover replacement for an item if it has been lost, stolen or broken for any reason. This is a card I use to purchase such items with and I never buy the extra aftermarket warranties.
Good point. Having a credit card for purchases like these are a good idea.
JustDustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:25 AM   #9
GORDON HUMMEL

I filed my claim with Citibank last Monday, still waiting on snailmail for the claim forms. There appears to more exclusions for cars, boats airplanes etc so we shall see.

1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote