How to rinse holding tank? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
folivier

Default How to rinse holding tank?

I can't find any (water) hose connection to my holding tank. How do you guys rinse your tank when you dump?
I've seen a fitting that allows a hose to connect to the dump fitting, but don't know if it's the right size for our coaches. Would just running water into the sinks add enough water to flush the tank well enough? Should I add any detergent when doing so? What is your procedure for rinsing after dumping?
Thanks.

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
HoosierDaddy

Hi Forest,
My holding tank is gray/black combined. I just dump it then flush the toilet a couple times with the valve open. Hose connections and "in tank" sprayers are sometimes employed for systems with black water only tanks.

1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
folivier

I have the same system. Took the coach out a couple weeks ago for a drive and dinner. Had quite an aroma for an appetizer! So I want to make certain that I clean it out well next time I dump. I wonder also if the p-traps for the sinks, shower and washer could have dried out and allowed odors to back up? Sealand toilet holds a good seal. I'll try running water in the sinks before I drive it next time.
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

Old 10-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
HoosierDaddy

I'm thinking a trap is dry....You probably can't clean it good enough to rid it of odor.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
Old 10-08-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
chockwald

My tanks are divided....a 60 gallon black tank, and a 100 gallon gray tank. There is a hose fitting on the black tank that I can run water in to flush the tank really well. Usually fill it twice after the initial dump, and then dump two more times.....no smell....EVER!!!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:02 PM   #6
express1

Talking ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chockwald View Post
My tanks are divided....a 60 gallon black tank, and a 100 gallon gray tank. There is a hose fitting on the black tank that I can run water in to flush the tank really well. Usually fill it twice after the initial dump, and then dump two more times.....no smell....EVER!!!
What are you trying to say? Yours doesn't either!!
I thought we were alone in that area!!
if you think my spellin is bad, you should sea my handwritten. #437 w/flex toad (STAY AWAY FROM LARRY BELL aka larrynjeri) he is a lier and a lock picker.
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:14 AM   #7
Richard and Rhonda

On my tank, there is a connection on the curb side that has a clear sight tube for doing a manual check of the tank levels. A previous owner added a simple hose connect fitting and a permanent hose there. I can connect the hose and rinse the tank during the empty and afterwards. It is a simple add on, and fairly effective.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:21 AM   #8
folivier

Richard, I have the same sight glass. Is the hose fitting on the top?
Actually, I bought some new hose since mine is yellowed and I plan to replace next time I dump. I may add a hose fitting to that to rinse. That may be the easiest solution.
Thanks.
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

Old 10-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #9
chockwald

Very funny Matt.....LOL!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 10-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #10
encantotom

again, interesting how each one is a little different. mine has a not so clear now and soon to be replaced tube on the drivers side. and a place to attach a hose to spray inward to the tank as part of that same connection.

i have to tell a story to show how an engineers mind thinks.

the first couple of weeks we had the coach we went on a 5k mile trip. during the trip a bottle of formaldehyde septic chemicals that i didnt know was there broke under the bathroom sink. this made a smell that was unbelieveable and we spent hours cleaning it up thinking we wouldnt survive the toxic fumes. so we vowed we would never use a harsh chemical in the tank.

so i went on a quest. i ended up buying a bacteria based stuff that is made and sold by a family in Louisiana.

i got it right before the trip to creede a few months ago. it had instructions that you should clean the tank to get anything that might kill the bacteria out before you used it. it suggested emptying the tank, then putting a little water in it and a few bags of ice cubes. the ice cubes would slosh around and act as a rough cleaning agent and eventually melt and then you could empty it all out.

well, it was 110 degrees the day we left, so the engineer said to me, more is better. so we stopped at mcdonalds and got 30 bags of ice, thinking we would just quickly dump them down the toilet and be off to drive with them in till we stopped that nite.

well first of all, mcdonalds is not set up to easily sell an individual 30 bags of ice. we went there because ice is cheap there. it took an half an hour with a cart to get them to the coach. and it was so hot that they formed big ice balls. so we had to break each bag up.

then, the neck of the toilet isnt big enough to take a whole bag of ice. and it got immediately plugged. now i took a stick and started pushing the ice down to no avail. then the crook on the stick i was using got stuck in the tank and it took me 15 minutes to get it out.

after about a hour we got all the ice in.

if it helped, i dont really know. but in this case, i am not sure if more is better.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #11
express1

Default Classic

Tom, thats one of the funniest yet......I have one or two from our trip...I will bring up a little later.....
if you think my spellin is bad, you should sea my handwritten. #437 w/flex toad (STAY AWAY FROM LARRY BELL aka larrynjeri) he is a lier and a lock picker.
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #12
chockwald

Here are picutrres of my setup....the first shows the large tank divided into two tanks (black and gray). Note the macerator pump hooked up to the gray tank....not sure why not hooked up to both??? The second is a closeup of the water connection leading into the black tank. I keep it hooked up to a hose all the time so it is easy to flush it out. On the passenger side, which this view is of, there is a separate sewer connection for tank. On the driver's side, not shown, there is only one sewer connection that both tanks funnel into.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DIGI0040.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	483   Click image for larger version

Name:	DIGI0041.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	484  
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 10-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #13
madson95

i just have one tank. about 3 to 4 times a year when i'm starting a good drive [ 50 miles or so]
I pour about 6to 8 oz of liquid DAWN in the toilet and flush it into the holding tank, tank should be about 1/3 to 1/2 full, then after the drive i juat dump the tank. all nice and clean. first time i got a bunch of gunk out but now just normal sewer no harsh chem and on oder real simple. I like real simple.

85 widebody 40' single ax
8v92
vw bug diesel toad
iowa in summer,texas in winter leaving for tx tomarrow first freeze tonight in iowa
madson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:51 PM   #14
tuga

The Dawn works very well - I agree.

There is also another product that works very well. It is called "Always Fresh" and it really works great. I would recommend using the Dawn to clean out the tank initially and the Always Fresh to maintain it!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:51 AM   #15
GORDON HUMMEL

Default How not to rince the holding tank

About a week after getting my Newell, I had arranged for some people to come to the shop to inspect the undercarriage & drivetrain components. It had rained for a couple of days & the pad it was parked was quite muddy. As I was driving out it got stuck! I tried a couple of tricks but to no avail.
I then remembered reading a post on this forum, that some coaches had a locking differential, activated by a switch on the dash.
Well there was an unmarked switch directly infront of the steering column, so I figured that must be it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WRONG
I THINK YOU ALL KNOW WHAT THAT SWITCH DOES; IT IS NOW DISCONNECTED
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:57 AM   #16
HoosierDaddy

ROFL Gordon.....I put a piece of tape over that switch when the grand-kids visit!!! Been thinking about one of those Military-type switch covers if I could find one.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #17
zcasa

Crazy switches.... Well, we were in Canada and I had just started up the Coach to warm it up and the tag caution bell continued to ring. At 8 AM I phoned Michael, because I had read that you couldn't drive the coach more than 5 miles an hour with that warning chime activated. So happy that Michael in his usual upbeat self answered the phone and quickly told me about the switch on the dash that must be in the wrong position. Denise admitted then, that she had dusted the dash the day before and inadvertantly activated the switch. After I made a few choice words at exactly the wrong time, I am now in charge of cleaning the Coach. A word to the wise.

David
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #18
chockwald

David....will you be wearing a French maid's outfit?
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Old 10-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #19
Wally Arntzen

I made a bypass manifold of the air lines in the bay where the air dump valve is located. I put in a T and ran separate lines for the air dump valve, the air operated toilet and the air operated slide that goes over my steps inside the coach.
I keep the air line to the dump valve on the off position so nobody can activate it at the switch on the dash or the switch next to the dump valve without turning on the air valve.
I also fliped the switch next to valve and got my shoes and pant legs loaded with the brown stuff, not nice at all and never again.
I never tryed the dishwasher stuff in the tank to keep it clean but I like the idea.

1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote