Tech Talk Archives 11 - Page 3 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #41
Neweller

A
1378 7/13/2004 5:54:50 PM 7/14/2004 Drew Thueson rmrincdt@msn.com 66 Streamline Windshield I was told the windshield from the early Newells would fit my Streamline. If that is the case, I am very interested in availabilty and cost. Any other suggestions or input would be appreciated.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #42
Neweller

Q
1379 7/15/2004 10:29:09 AM 7/19/2004 Bill Zinn billzinn@pcisys.net 74 Newell "curb weight" and cruise control A friend who is looking at a 74 Newell can't seem to locate anyone who can tell him what the approximate "curb weight" of this unit might be, can anyone give us an approximate idea of the total weight? He's also curious about a cruise control that might replace the existing "hydraulic" cruise that is currently installed. Does anyone know of a good quality "after-market" cruise control that might be utilized in this unit?

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #43
Neweller

Q
1380 7/16/2004 2:15:12 PM 7/19/2004 Jon Kabbe jckabbe@earthlink.net 1974 Newell Ross Steering Box According to what I've been told there is a lot of free play in the wheel with the engine off. On my 1977 coach the Ross steering wheel will move a foot each direction with the engine off, but with the engine on the wheel starts turning the tires with less than 1/2 inch of movement. According to the mechanics that have worked on it there is no problem with the steering gear itself, but maybe they are wrong since I too have a bit of a wander problem. I'll crawl under my coach in the next few days but I believe that the steering gear is an HFB64 series. I have no idea if that would be in your coach or not. The model number is cast into the upper side opposite the pitman shaft on my gear. You should be able to easily see it unless you struggle with bifocals like I do and then nothing is in focus.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #44
Neweller

A
1381 7/17/2004 6:32:37 AM 7/19/2004 Bob InsideGolf@cablespeed.com 1973 Newell Motor Coach Larry I have a '73 with the same engine. The 391 with a six-speed Allison combination is ok, but it would struggle pulling a tow vehicle. FYI we get a bit over 6 MPG driving in the west.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #45
Neweller

A
1382 7/17/2004 6:38:53 AM 7/19/2004 Bob InsideGolf@cablespeed.com Sharing Info with classic owners! I have a '73 Newell and don't have any noticable bounce. I agree with the Tech responseムnew shocks will solve the problem.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #46
Neweller

A
1383 7/18/2004 10:55:58 AM 7/19/2004 Bill wrssr@msn.com Sharing Info with classic owners! Jon,

Saw your message on Newell's tech talk, I own an 1974 Newell Coach and have a BAD wandering problem. I have been working my way towards this problem for two years while fixing other things - I'm finally there. When you message appeared in tech talk you hadn't aligned your Coach yet - if you have, did it help? Mine was aligned and it didn't help. When your engine is turned off does your steering wheel have almost a 1/2 turn of free-play? Mine does. Because of the way the steering box is mounted I cannot get my hands into adjust box. I'm going to remove it and put in my bench vice and try to adjust, or if needed rebuild it. In my mechanic days, very seldom did we have to rebuild them - the adjustment took up all the slack. Besides I could walk right up and tilt the nose on a semi and adjust the steering box - it was all open. Without a model number yet for the Ross steering box I don't have the settings - might have to use my instincts - hopefully there is a model number on the steering box. I don't know how bad yours wanders but mine is all over my lane sometimes. Other than that the Coach is in absolutely beautiful condition. Being able to work on the Coach myself - I just installed quik-snap no glue wood flooring all through the Coach. Appreciate your time and any help you can give. Have a nice day.

Bill

-Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2012, 06:12 AM   #47
Neweller

A
1384 7/18/2004 12:14:47 PM 7/19/2004 john leuenberger jeleuen@cox.net Sharing Info with classic owners! For Rich Farr, the Koni part number is 90 1867, says so right on the box, also "made in Holland." Think it was Gary in Newell parts who provided the number. Also seem to recall the same part number is used on the rear. Apprec Jon's experiences with stiff sliding windows. They slide a lot freer everytime we're in the Southwest due to low humidity. Sounds like no one has a cure yet to free them up without changing the welting. On engine temps, wondering how others are doing with Detroit 92 series at high altitudes on hot days. Rad is a 10 yr old replacement radiator. Still considering removal and having radiator shop give it a full check.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2012, 06:12 AM   #48
Neweller

A
1385 7/18/2004 12:30:43 PM 7/19/2004 john leuenberger jeleuen@cox.net 12.5 Kohler Diesel Generator Ran the 12.5 with and without the muffler. Actually it's just as loud with the muffler connected. Possible that the muffler lost its stuff over the years. If anyone has found a quieter muffler would like to know. Seems to use very little fuel even with both a/c's running. Hr meter stopped at 900 hrs. No idea how many now. None of the gauges seem to work either so have to check oil and water daily when using. The union can be disconnected from above with long arms. Rich, if your gen works great you probably don't need injectors serviced. Seems to be a great product from the Misty Isles. Regards.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2012, 06:12 AM   #49
Neweller

A
1386 7/18/2004 8:31:22 PM 7/19/2004 Ken Masat ken@masatfamily.com Sharing Info with classic owners! I've been driving a 74 Newell for 6 years, over 100k with our family bluegrass-gospel band, so have run into about everything, just ask. Will offer the following:
Front end bounce: Previous owner had 2000# of steel weight installed near front axle. He said he did it because it would throw you out of the seat. It rides great, though I had been thinking of removing same until I read some of your messages. Anyone else on this?
Engine overheat: We have a CAT 3208 turbo. Went through a long process, contacting CAT, Bluebird, etc. Finally installed a 6 blade fan (careful you don't get overcharged for one of these) and added extra 1" diameter to tighten up shroud area. Made big difference. Also, we have a water heater with holes for engine water to circulate. Works great, allowing hot showers while on road, and helps cool engine when needed by just running extra hot water during hard climbing. Also, found out the oil cooler was the small size for aspirated engine. Junk yard provided used larger size which I installed.
Flooring: We also have dark wood paneling, but I finally convinced my wife (who wanted to paint it white) that it is a classic color that is now coming back. We did strip out the old carpet and had new light green vinyl put in that really beautified the rig. Vinyl and installation all for $150.
We have redone about everything in this rig to date, and finally feel it is ready for the REALLY long haul.
(903) 768-2862

-Bob Marley
Old 10-09-2012, 06:14 AM   #50
Neweller

A
1387 7/19/2004 8:31:55 AM 7/19/2004 Barrett J. Wolf bear@bearpaws.com 72 Coach Brakes Lights Out; V2... OK - No brake lights...I found the 'vacuum boost' with what appears to be a brake light sensor on top - just behind the LF wheel in the frame rail. The wires weren't hot, so I followed them back to the dash and it hooked to the Mico-lock switch. Can one of the factory veterans or an owner tell me if this is the correct brake light switch? BTW, the thing just will NOT unscrew from the booster. 508-771-9000

-Bob Marley
Old 10-10-2012, 04:30 AM   #51
Neweller

Q
1388 7/19/2004 11:06:32 AM 7/21/2004 Barrett J. Wolf bear@bearpaws.com 72 Coach Brakes Lights Out; V2... OK - found the brake light switch - comes off the air can just to the right of the LF wheel - Have also spoken with Mico-lock and the inline setup with the switch (referred to above} is the Mico-lock rear wheel brake, which uses a normally-open 60lb. switch to keep the rear wheels locked while stopped.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-10-2012, 04:31 AM   #52
Neweller

A
1389 7/21/2004 6:06:23 AM 7/21/2004 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Windshields Gary Streeter at Newell Parts (1-888-3NEWELL) advises that he has windshields for most vintage Newells in stock. As the coaches get older, obtaining parts becomes increasingly difficult. However, considering the critical nature of windshields in particular, Newell has gone to extra effort to maintain a supply.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-10-2012, 04:31 AM   #53
Neweller

Q
1390 7/22/2004 9:42:07 AM 7/22/2004 Frank Madler bfbooper@yahoo.com 1976 36ft coach I have a 1976 - 36ft Newell and am having trouble with the
house battery. It stays up for about 3 days and goes down. I'm
wondering if there is a short anywhere, or if anyone has a
manual for the camper. We got it but there was no manual or anything to show me how to do anything. I would apprecate anyone who has one--will pay postage for it..

-Bob Marley
Old 10-10-2012, 04:31 AM   #54
Neweller

A
1391 7/22/2004 11:57:43 AM 7/22/2004 LESTER BURGESS LESTERBURGESS@TAMPABAY.RR.COM HYBRIDES AND HYDROGEN OR GREEN FUEL RVS Dean,
Steve has a good point on the hazzards to overcome on hydrogen. I think it will be a while. As far as solar panel: most RV solar panels out today give at best 4.5 -5.0 amp's max. at high noon. To power a coach of todayユs standards off panels offered, it would take about 30-40 panels tied to a major regulator panel to just make out. You would have to fill the entire roof plus panels set all around the coach. There are some major universities working on perfecting solar cells. We need to work on making coaches with all the bennies with half the amperage.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #55
Neweller

A
1392 7/22/2004 12:24:24 PM 7/22/2004 TechTalk Staff TeckTalk@newellcoach.com 1976 36ft coach Unless you know your batteries are good, we recommend you start with a load test of the battery bank. If the batteries pass a load test, then we'd suggest you have the amperage draw checked with everything "turned off." If there still is a draw indicated, removing fuses one at a time until the hidden load is found is not difficult. Unless you have the required equipment and knowledge to perform these tests, you will need to work with a qualified technician, although this diagnosis should not be too time consuming and expensive.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #56
Neweller

A
1393 7/24/2004 8:26:09 AM 7/24/2004 Bill Zinn billzinn@pcisys.net EMERGENCY EMERGENCY EMERGENCY Need part number for outside axle seal for Rockwell rear end in 1974 Newell Coach. Broken down outside Reno. No part number visible on old seal. Cannot identify correct part number for seal. Please HELP HELP HELP. Call Ron Tilton Fernley, Nevada. 775-575-4267. Day or night number. 7-24-04

-Bob Marley
Old 10-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #57
Neweller

Q
1398 7/24/2004 3:05:59 PM 7/24/2004 Steve Saraga s.saraga@att.net Batteries, to go Gell or AGM Well...it's battery time.

I am wondering what the thought's are on gel vs. the newer AGM batteries for a starting/house system with 4 8D's.

The AGM's are actually about $20.00 less than gel's, but with the price that close, price is not the deciding factor, performance is.

I have had gel's for about 5 years, and have not had a bit of trouble, so I'm not sure if the newer AGM battery's have sufficient history to say they are better or not than gell cells.

What is the opinion here?

-Bob Marley
Old 10-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #58
Neweller

A
1400 7/26/2004 5:49:02 AM 7/26/2004 Bob bstone@hbssystems.com Water Pump Does anyone have a Old Style HeadHunter JetPaq Water pump. I am in need of the pressure value. This pump was installed in Coaches until the year 2000

-Bob Marley
Old 10-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #59
Neweller

Q
1403 7/26/2004 1:54:02 PM 7/26/2004 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Batteries, to go Gell or AGM Newell Coach recommends AGM batteries in lieu of the gel cell, and in fact now supplies AGM batteries as
standard equipment on the house bank of our new coaches. From time to time over the last 20 years, we have tried various gel batteries. Each time we tried gel batteries we have been disappointed with their longevity, and each time we discontinued their use due to high
failure rates. Conversly, we have found AGM batteries to be robust and reliable.
The AGM batteries appear well suited to withstand the charging rates of present day high capacity
inverter/chargers. AGM batteries appear to have a significantly longer life than either flooded lead acid or gel batteries. An unexpected bonus appears to be the ability of AGM batteries to store more energy than the same size flooded lead acid or gel batteries, allowing more time between recharging. The only downsides to AGM batteries are cost and availability. Well maintained flooded lead acid batteries give good service, lasting two to five years in a Newell, cost about a third the price of an AGM battery, and are available virtually anywhere.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-10-2012, 04:34 AM   #60
Neweller

A
1406 7/30/2004 11:54:03 AM 7/31/2004 John Wright John.jwright@verizon.net Pneumatic seat Promise not to laugh. I have an air ride seat in my 1992 Newell which is extremely comfortable. I know it will turn around because there is a lever in the front that releases it. However, it hits up against the side of the coach when I try to spin it.
There are buttons on the wall side but I am unable to read them or operate them. I am of the mind that they will move the seat towards the center and therefore allow turning room.

Any help will be appreciated.

-Bob Marley