Tech Talk Archives 6 - Page 3 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #41
Neweller

Q
633 6/13/2002 9:12:16 PM 6/18/2002 Kelly Scott kscott6264@netscape.net 80 Steering box adjustment Does the 80 Coach have this same Ross steering gear?

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #42
Neweller

q
634 6/15/2002 6:27:10 pm 6/18/2002 buzz waid ewaid@aol.com graphics i recently painted my 91 and am looking for someone to do some graphics design. Please point me in the right direction

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 10-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #43
Neweller

A
635 6/17/2002 6:27:39 PM 6/18/2002 Bob Marlatt InsideGolf@cablespeed.com 1972 Newell Motor Coac h Leon, the Jake Brake you refer to is actually a transmission retarder. It is essentially a series of fins that spread out in the transmission and works against the transmission fluid. On your dash is heat-gauge for your transmission which is quite important when using the retarder because of the heat build-up from the friction between the fluid and the retarder fins.
Your's may actually work. The next time you're coasting down a hill, press the peddle and hold it for a while, it's slow in taking ffect, and see if it has an effect. I also have a '72 and have found this device to be quite a blessing coming off mountain passes.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #44
Neweller

A
636 6/17/2002 6:34:41 PM 6/18/2002 Bob Marlatt InsideGolf@cablespeed.com Carburetor for "69 Newell Coach Mark, I have a '72 coach and have a 4bbl Holley on it. I also have a book, of sorts, that shows the carburater in an exploded drawing with a lot of small part numbers but I can't find a part number for the whole assembly. If you like, I can fax you a couple of pages from my loose-leaf book. My fax # 360-379-4092

-Bob Marley
Old 10-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #45
Neweller

A
637 6/17/2002 9:05:21 PM 6/18/2002 alex graham alex2839@charter.net Used Checklist An engine and transmission oil analysis will give an indication of an internal problem developing. I think www.birdconnection.com used to have a checklist for checking out a used coach.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #46
Neweller

A
638 6/18/2002 9:06:43 AM 6/20/2002 lewis stowers lrmrstowers@webtv.net Replacement Air Valves I have a 90 coach with air valves made by KIP Inc. # 6X325X and replacement by Newell was very expensive. Rebuild kits by McElroy MFG
Inc in Oklahoma are twenty dollars and it doesnt appear to be that complicated.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #47
Neweller

A
639 6/18/2002 3:00:47 PM 6/19/2002 Dennis trishoreyachts@attcanada.net Replacement Air Valves I to own an 87 newell that needs a new valve to release the air for leveling I have not found a replacement please let me know if you have found a solution.If i find out first i will e-mail you.I am surprised that newell cannot recoment something.Do you know if the same valves are used for drive level control.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #48
Neweller

A
640 6/19/2002 8:37:42 PM 6/20/2002 Bob Scott thescotts@proaxis.com Overheating We have an 86 coach and it would heat up on a long hard pull. It had a spray system installed by the previous owner. In looking the cooling system over it was obvious the radiator was bad. I took the radiator to several repair shops for their recommendations. The route that I went was to add another row of cooling tubes (the top and bottom tanks are large enough to accomodate this increase) and went to a tube that has rippled walls. This feature slows the flow of water through the radiator and allows the air a better chance to cool. I also rebuilt the spray system as the old one did not disperse water over the radiator at higher engine RPMs. We have about 20,000 miles on this rebuilt radiator in all kinds of weather and mountains and as yet have not hooked up the spray. I have to run real hard to get the temp up over the 180 mark. Also keeping it clean cannot be over stressed. I hose it down after each major trip. Good luck.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #49
Neweller

A
641 6/20/2002 3:28:05 PM 6/20/2002 Tech Talk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Replacement Air Valves We'll weigh in with a couple of comments. The correct model KIP valve will replace the original Skinner valve. Also, the rebuild kit is a good choice if you do the work yourself. However, if you have to pay shop labor, here or elsewhere, to do the rebuilding, the economics of the rebuild option go away.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #50
Neweller

A
642 6/23/2002 10:21:14 AM 6/24/2002 Dick Quirk quirkrjiii@cs.com Overheating Charles, Good to hear from you. I too have been concerned about temp in our '78 (6V92T). Our engine temp will get to 210 on grades, and it makes me quite nervous. I've had trouble getting a consistant answer as to what is too high, and have heard from other owners who experience same temps. Some at Newell have stated that such a temperature is within reason. I've even gotten differing words from Detroit service centers. I too would like more definitive word on where the red line is.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #51
Neweller

A
643 6/23/2002 11:23:29 PM 6/24/2002 Perry Burney paburney@bellsouth.net 1980 Newell Coach After running regular oil for sometime, I wouldn't change. In some instances, synthetic oil will clean an engine that has used fossil oil and cause trouble, I have also seen new engines burnt up because you can't mix synthetic with fossil oil in some cases.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #52
Neweller

A
644 6/24/2002 4:53:23 AM 6/24/2002 Tech Talk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Overheating A Detroit 92 Series engine will run at 210 degrees without a problem. However, that doesn't leave much "headroom" for additional heat such as might be generated on a long, steep hill in the summer. An engine running at 210 is okay, but let it run up to 215 and start to look for either an automatic shutdown or, if the shutdown system doesn't activate, trouble.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #53
Neweller

A
645 6/24/2002 1:05:12 PM 6/25/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com 1980 Newell Coach I have had the best results with Delo 100 40wt. Shell Rotella 40wt., and Delo 400 40wt., have done fine, but the Delo 100 seems to have provided the best pressure and oil consumption numbers. If you go to the Detroit Diesel lubricant web pages, you will find all three oils are acceptable with the Delo 100 coming closest to their low sulphur requirements I have an oil analysis done with each oil change and I can't tell a difference (trend) in the numbers. I have nothing against synthetic oils except the price and I use them in my transmission where the price per mile traveled seems more realistic. Newell has been using synthetic oil for years and I highly endorse their recommendations.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #54
Neweller

A
646 6/25/2002 9:14:16 AM 6/25/2002 Tech Talk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com 1980 Newell Coach John makes a good point about synthetic lubricants. We are convinced that the Mobil synthetics are excellent products, among the finest lubricants available. But they are pricey. In a new or late model expensive coach, we think they are justified, so that's what we use for initial factory fill (when we are paying the bill) and in the factory service department unless a customer specifies differently. However, it may not make economic sense to use some of these products in older coaches. We also agree with John that the transmission fluid falls in a different category. Not only can the drain intervals be extended without concern, but the synthetic fluid can sustain higher temperatures without breaking down. This might save an older transmission with a minor problem that causes an overheat from a consequential breakdown of the ATF and a total failure.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #55
Neweller

A
647 6/25/2002 9:36:20 AM 6/28/2002 Gary Carter gcarter@usinternet.com 1980 Newell Coach Assuming a Detroit Diesel two stroke, you should not use any multi-weight oil. DD calls for straight 40W (CF-II) for most applications.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #56
Neweller

A
650 6/27/2002 3:37:19 PM 6/28/2002 Brian Hunter bhunter@new.rr.com Wastewater tank leaking? I have a 1987 Newell 40ft. It has plastic holding tank and also plastic waste tank. Can you tell me the size of each in gallons. Thanks

-Bob Marley
Old 10-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #57
Neweller

A
651 6/28/2002 8:39:12 AM 6/28/2002 Tech Talk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com 1980 Newell Coach It is correct that, as a general rule, multi-grade oils should not be used in Detroit Diesel Series 92 engines. However, Delvac 1 synthetic is an exception. We have used multi-grade Delvac 1 backed up by oil analysis for twelve years. It is an excellent oil for a 92 Series engine. However, the anti-multi-grade culture at Detroit is strong, and the "Newell/Mobil" exception to the general rule is not well known in the trenches. Detroit now offers a straight weight version of synthetic engine lube, a choice that many of the old-time service people are more comfortable with.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #58
Neweller

A
652 6/28/2002 9:00:15 AM 6/28/2002 Tech Talk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Wastewater tank leaking? The standard tanks in 1987 were 120 gallons fresh water and 125 gallons holding tank. If you need to be sure, the tanks should be measured to confirm.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #59
Neweller

A
653 6/29/2002 10:36:59 PM 7/3/2002 Perry Burney paburney@bellsouth.net Overheating I crawled under my 89 the other day and discovered my short blow by tubes were clogging my radiator, lengthen if necessary.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-21-2012, 05:59 AM   #60
Neweller

A
655 6/30/2002 4:47:43 PM 7/3/2002 chase blairihc30@aol.com Replacement Air Valves the air replacement valve you are looking for is a parker valve. you can call 1-800-511-0100 or type in skinner valves and it should take you to a list, just click onto parker/skinner valves. hope this helps.

-Bob Marley