new electric heaters - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2008, 04:43 AM   #1
encantotom

Default new electric heaters

hi all,

as part of my updating i am replacing all the electric heaters. the perfectoe under the couch was recalled and was considered dangerous, so i bought an exact replacement and a new thermostat. the one in the bathroom i replaced this weekend. it wasnt quite the same size, but close. i had to cut about 2 inches out of the cabinet and it fit fine.

the old thermostats were daytons and were wired different than the new cadet 4398b that i got. so you need to be sure how to wire it when you put it in.

the cadet rm151 is what i put in the bathroom and will put the same in the bedroom and in the bay. the one i am replacing in the bedroom was malfunctioning and was overheating and had melted the metal grill. i measured it to be pulling 17.5 amps an 2100 watts. that is way over what it is rated and could have caught on fire. i got the heater from prosupply for 105 bucks delivered. thermostat was about 30 bucks.

the new ones have the ability to wire them to be at 500, 1000 or 1500 watts when on. which is 4.17amps, 8.34 amps or 12.5 amps. so if all 4 are on at full power you are drawing a full 50 amps for the electric heaters. i measure the one that came out of the bathroom and it was set at 1500 watts. the bedroom will be the same. i guess the motto is not to run all the electric heaters at once....

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
fulltiming

Tom, do you know if the heaters are all wired to the same leg of the in coming power? If they are split properly, you would only be drawing 25 amps per leg which is not a major issue as that is less than running 2 air conditioners on one leg (I have two basement airs wired to each leg).

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
encantotom

i dont know. that is on my list to check.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote