advice on air conditioners in hot weather - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2007, 01:36 AM   #1
encantotom

Default advice on air conditioners in hot weather

hi, i am looking to buy a late 80's newell 40 foot coach and i live in the phoenix area. do coaches with 3 basement airs of 13.5kbtu's work well enough to cool at 100-110 degree's? i want to be able to use it in the summer and don't want to die of heat stroke. have any of you with the 3 basement airs had experience in very hot weather with them and can give some advice on how well they work? are there late 80's that have roof airs and if so how do they work with in the hot summer weather? thanks for your advice!

encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:59 AM   #2
The Newell

Default Re: advice on air conditioners in hot weather

Oh yes!! you should have no problem cooling a Newell with 3 A/C units. I have 2 units and they cool it to the max. Plus considering how well Newells are insulated they keep the heat in the winter in and cool in the summer. Oh man do I love my Newell.

Joseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by encantotom
hi, i am looking to buy a late 80's newell 40 foot coach and i live in the phoenix area. do coaches with 3 basement airs of 13.5kbtu's work well enough to cool at 100-110 degree's? i want to be able to use it in the summer and don't want to die of heat stroke. have any of you with the 3 basement airs had experience in very hot weather with them and can give some advice on how well they work? are there late 80's that have roof airs and if so how do they work with in the hot summer weather? thanks for your advice!

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
encantotom

Default more clarification on A/C in phoenix in summertime

Hi, thanks for the previous response. I am looking for someone who has experience with the basement airs and the roof top airs in temperatures of 110-1120 degrees and if they cool sufficiently. i am also concerned about if the basement airs are as efficient and reliable as the roof top airs.

thanks for your comments.
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:14 AM   #4
khpaladin

Prescott Valley

encantotom wrote:
Hi, thanks for the previous response. I am looking for someone who has experience with the basement airs and the roof top airs in temperatures of 110-1120 degrees and if they cool sufficiently. i am also concerned about if the basement airs are as efficient and reliable as the roof top airs.

Encantotom,

Wyn and I own the 1981 Newell Winter Demo Coach. Our understanding is that Newell initiated the basement A/C units with this coach. There is a 14K BTU unit in the living room and galley, and an 11K BTU unit in the queen island bedroom. We spent some time in the Sun City West/Phoenix area a few years back with 3 digit temperatures. With only two of the units running we were extremely comfortable. We have no experience with Newell roof airs, however, we suspect they are just as efficient. Hope this helps.
https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forum/members/khpaladin-albums-1981-newell-40-6v92-ta.html
khpaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:26 PM   #5
tuga

I had a 1993 Newell 44' with 3 basement ACs. I found that I was able to get the inside temperature about 20 degrees lower than the ambient temperature while parked in a campground. Example: if it was 100 degrees outside, I could get it down to 80 degrees inside. Not exactly comfortable.

On the highway the dash AC never did work after 3 repair jobs; it would not hold freon. It took 3 fans running inside to keep the coach cool while driving in 100 degree heat. Without the 3 portable fans, it was not comfortable inside.

Presently I have a 1999 Newell with 2 SCS double compressor AC basement units. The dash AC in the 1999 works fantastic; a 10,000% improvement over the 1993 model. With the dash AC + the 2 basement ACs it is about 75 degrees inside the coach with an ambient temperature of 100 degrees. When in a campgrouond the 2 basement ACs have a difficult time cooling the coach. With ambient temps of 95 degrees, 75 is about the best that you can hope for. Keep in mind that the window awnings have to be extended to help the AC units.

The return AC duct is located in the stairwell in my 1999 Newell. IMO that is a poor choice for it. Each time the entrance door is opened hot air comes in from outside and the AC units have to work harder. The return air ducts should be located somewhere else inside the coach.

I love my Newell, but the AC in the dead of summer leaves a lot to be desired. Please keep in mind I am discussing a 1999 Newell and you asked for info on a 1980s vintage. I owned a 1987 Newell 40' with 3 roof ACs and the story was the same; marginally comfortable in very hot weather.

If you ask any AC repairman he will tell you that a 20 degree difference between inside and outside temps is about the best that you can hope for with any AC system. I just want you to understand that you will not be freezing inside with outside temps in the 100s.

Parking under a tree or shelter will do more to help cool the coach in those kinds of temperatures. Hope that I have helped you.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote