Wow! Nows the time to buy a Newell! - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
Neweller

Default Wow! Nows the time to buy a Newell!

I was over looking at pre-owned coaches on the Newell factory site and they just dropped prices on a few. Anywhere from 50-300 g's off. Big Spring Sale !!

Here's the direct link: http://www.newellcoach.com/preInventoryList.php

Ken W.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:00 AM   #2
afrench45

Ken,
Your right, there are some great deals on there! I think you should go pick one out!

afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:47 AM   #3
Neweller

Very true. I have been eye-balling a couple on there and the one I thought I could afford is now sold. I bet they get wiped out on some inventory at these prices.

If I just had a little more spare change.

Ken W.

Got to keep the dream alive!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 06-09-2010, 03:03 AM   #4
Neweller

The wife says #1261 is the coach for her. The only problem being I would have to do a complete sell-off and go to the bank.

Hmm....maybe I could wait for a few more years and get it off the next guy? Can I keep the dream alive that long? The saga continues.....

-Bob Marley
Old 06-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
afrench45

Ken,
Your wife has wonderful tastes! #1261 is beautiful! Hmm maybe try the lottery?
Old 06-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
prairieschooner

Nope, that one is way too nice! besides I am not sure that I could even afford the taxes!
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
Neweller

I hear ya Steve on the taxes.

How about the drop in price on #801? Almost 300K. It's a beauty too for the price, if your in that range? Maybe the mileage is higher to reflect that low of a price, direct from Newell Coach on a P2000i.

Ken

-Bob Marley
Old 06-11-2010, 03:05 AM   #8
prairieschooner

hey, I am happy with our Prairie Schooner! I like the 8' width and 38' Length because we stay at State Parks and can tell them Lies about our Length and we do Boon Dock. I love the newer coaches but I am very happy with our old bus!!!! besides we own it and I want to be retarded like some of you guys.
PS our '82 has 110K miles and we put 10K on ourselves.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
Stick Miller

Default Time to buy

I sort of like the '76 in the classifieds. Nearer my price range but probably way beyond my mechanical ability to keep it going. Owner sounds a bit squirrely, but who am I to talk? With a name like Stick, I can't be too critical.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #10
Neweller

Steve, I year ya on that. I've been like a roller coaster on what to do. I like the old girl I got, but storage is my biggest issue and I really wanted to go with a 102" WB. Speaking of, is yours actually a 96" or 102"? If I keep my current coach, I will probably remove all LP units and go with roof solar and all electric. And stack a couple nice inverter/chargers. This would free up the large space from the LP tank and needed interior room from the 3 heaters. Plus I'd do away with the oven and just use a combo micro/convection. Then I'll have my boondock ready camper.

Stick, that '76 doesn't look to bad for the price. I don't really care for that engine since I have already had a 555. The best solution for it, is to upgrade it to another engine. Which I've did a bit of research on the '76 I had before in regards to engine upgrades. What are you really thinking you want in a Newell? Are you getting close on buying one? Are you wanting twins or a double bed unit?

Ken

-Bob Marley
Old 06-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #11
Stick Miller

Probably neither-nor (or is it either-or) Actually I'm getting close on a GMC. I've pushed my wife about as far as she is going to go. If I were to buy a real motorcoach, I would like twin beds. I'd really like separate bedrooms so I can snore in peace, but twins would have to do.

A lot of things come into play here. First of all I have a friend here in my hometown who is an absolute ACE on the GMC. He is really a pro with vast knowledge of the coaches. From what I understand I'll need that.

Also the cost is important. When you buy tires for a bluebird or a newell it is $500 per tire. GMC tires are about $100 per. So you see that the costs for most things are quintupled.

I do like that Newell Classic look, though. sm
Old 06-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #12
Neweller

Stick, it sounds like there are a bunch of us folks riding the roller coaster. At least were not alone. The GMC are an interesting unit. I did some study on them a few years back. The ones that were frontwheel drive. It sounds like you may be looking more for something to ramble on the weekends with. Did they offer twins in those guys?

Ken

-Bob Marley
Old 06-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #13
Stick Miller

They did offer twins on the GMC fwd but the one I'm looking at actually has a double bed. Thank Goodness - I can sleep on the sofa in peace!
Old 06-13-2010, 02:39 AM   #14
Wally Arntzen

Stick, I was into GMC's for 10 years and rebuilt one from the ground up. They are great machines but I can tell you that if you use it a lot they are a lot maintainance and repair. I put more into the rebuild than I paid for my 88 Newell 7 years ago and my Newell is a great coach. I used the GMC for work as I do the Newell and it was always getting repaired by me or a friend who know's a lot more about them than I do.
I would never even think about going back to the GMC because they are too small for fultiming and too much trouble.
I don't pay anything near 500.00 for tires for my Newell and I question the 100.00 for tires on the GMC.

Good luck and I wish you well if you do the change, but I suspect you will back with a big coach soon.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #15
prairieschooner

Ken,
The '82 is 96" wide, a real advantage when on back roads or where there is construction. We have stuffed ourselves into 34' spaces at state parks, yep registered as 34' because that was the longest they would accept (the guy at the gate usually has some thing to say).
We are set up well for dry-camping with the 3 solar panels on the roof and the new Blue Sky regulator. I like having the LPG heaters since we are in the coach during the winter and we use the LPG stove or BBQ for cocking. When dry-camping we do need to limit the TV although the smaller unit in the bedroom is the TV that is used. So far a week is all that we have dry-camped but all of the systems could go much longer. I will be remounting the solar panels later so that I can tilt them.
All in all I feel that our '82 is a great fit. I did spend $500.00 per tire for Goodyear Tires and would do it again.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #16
Stick Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Arntzen View Post
Stick, I was into GMC's for 10 years and rebuilt one from the ground up. They are great machines but I can tell you that if you use it a lot they are a lot maintainance and repair. I put more into the rebuild than I paid for my 88 Newell 7 years ago and my Newell is a great coach. I used the GMC for work as I do the Newell and it was always getting repaired by me or a friend who know's a lot more about them than I do.
I would never even think about going back to the GMC because they are too small for fultiming and too much trouble.
I don't pay anything near 500.00 for tires for my Newell and I question the 100.00 for tires on the GMC.

Good luck and I wish you well if you do the change, but I suspect you will back with a big coach soon.
Wally - you are preaching to the choir. I have wanted a BlueBird from day one and only discovered the Newell a year ago. Either would be superior to the GMC for fulltiming or for long time usage.

I have a beach house where we spend every spare moment. I don't want to full time nor do I want to travel much. I want something we can take 20 minutes to the river and stay with friends or to attend ralleys or to go to the North Georgia mountains for a long weekend.

I'm surprised about the tires. $100 is about what most GMCers pay for tires. You can buy more expensive tires but mine wil be age replaced long before they are tread replaced.

Bottom line is that you might be right. I might come to a bigger coach, but I've never owned either. I've driven a pant load of BB's - never a newell - but the GMC drives as smoothly as any luxury car I've ever driven.

It'll do for me right now - that is if I buy anything.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:47 AM   #17
Wally Arntzen

Stick, for weekend use and short trips they are a super vehicle, and I agree that they are a smooth and comfortable ride. If you never had either a GMC or a larger vehicle and you enjoy your beach home jump on the GMC. When I had one I was convinced that it was the greatest vehicle on the road and I have many friends that feel the same way today. I still belong to the GMC group and go the their rallies.
I assumed that you had a large coach and were going to change to the GMC and I apoligize for the misunderstanding.
Get it and enjoy it and maybe you will jump into a Bluebird or a Newell at a later time.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #18
Stick Miller

Default I feel better

Believe it or not I really value you guys' opinions. Without owning a motorhome of any type I feel like I have absorbed so much knowledge just by participating in this and other forums.

I think my wife will enjoy the GMC. I would rather have a diesel Newell or Bluebird, but I think this will be her introduction to something that will become a part of our retirement. She is not a good passenger and I think the luxury of being able to sit on a sofa or at a dinette will mean a lot to her. She is type A and I am Z. She just wants to get there and I enjoy every inch of the trip. I enjoy "there" too.

The key is going to be the people we meet. We both like meeting people and have an active social life here at home and at the beach. I think once she gets into attending rallies it will all make sense for her. At that point and after I'm retired and have some time, I believe we might move into something bigger.

I do know people that moved from Diesel Pushers (SOB's) to the GMC and wouldn't go back. Frankly, I'd like to have one of each.

I'm close on a GMC that seems to have been done right. I know there will always be things to go wrong. I just didn't want to start out with a piece of junk.

My dad had a new GMC when I was first out of college. Man, did we have fun with that.

Thanks again for the advice and counsel. Who knows what will happen. One thing is for sure...I'm not going to buy someone else's junk. I'll just keep on driving the old Caddy.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:33 PM   #19
afrench45

Hey Ken,
Im going up to Newell on the 28th. I would be more than happy to pick #1261 up and deliver it to you!
Old 06-18-2010, 02:50 AM   #20
Neweller

Hey Andrew, that would be fantastic. I appreciate you being so kind and generous to offer this. I have a loss for words.

Ken

-Bob Marley