Ignition switch - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
Bikestuff

Default Ignition switch

Guys,

Am driving back home after a brief vacation at the factory in Miami. I stopped at a rest stop and turned off engine and turned on the generator. So far so good. But, when I tried to start the engine again, nothing. Turn the ignition switch and no response at all.

I talked to folks at Newell and now think that the ignition switch is at fault. (I can start the engine using the switch on the engine). I am now camped in a nice park outside of Jackson Mississippi.

Where do I go to get this fixed? Is this something that I can do myself? I have never let anyone other than the factory work on my coach so am at a loss.

Cheers,

Bill

Coach #653 2003 powered by C12 Cat, BMW R1100GS, FJ Cruiser
Bikestuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:28 AM   #2
prairieschooner

Bill,
Not sure about the newer coaches but ours is a FORD part and I would guess that yours is as well. Chuck at Newell parts should be able to ship you a new one if you do not want to hunt down the part on your own.
This most likely is something that you can fix yourself. Tank some pictures of the switch and the wiring BEFORE you take anything apart and then Label the wires as you take them off. If you are not comfortable with the repair then ..........maybe it is best that you turn around.

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:17 AM   #3
encantotom

on mine the ignition switch is on the dash. if yours is the same that makes it a ton easier to change.

on mine the leather cover over the switch is held on with the same plastic door panel grippers that the upper dash is.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:30 AM   #4
RussWhite

Bill,
It's always somthing! I cannot offer any advice other than what Tom as said. His coach is closer to yours that mine. Cynthia and I just wanted to say we are thinking about you and Baxter and hope you get it worked out soon. I wish I could be more helpful. Good luck!
Russ and Cynthia
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
encantotom

i would have to believe since the switch is on the dash that it would be easy to hot wire to get you where you needed to go. you might ask newell what wires to jump and allow you to get to home.

tom

Old 06-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
Bikestuff

Thanks gang! We can crank and drive using switch on engine. Since switch is on dash it will be easier to replace. My key says GM so think it should be a common part. I'll call chuck and see what he says.

Bill
Old 06-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
Bikestuff

Russ, hope you guys are having fun on your adventure. Baxter is helping me fix the coach. He puts his nose on the back of my neck just as I am probing for voltages. Bzzzzzzzzz!

Got the switch replaced. Turns out it is from 70s era GM truck. Same symptoms. The guys at the factory are going to call me back with more ideas.

I am in rural Mississippi and am enjoying the stay except for the banjo music in the distance!

Cheers,

Bill
Old 06-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
encantotom

hi bill,

please post the part number for the ignition switch.

isnt there a fuse or cb in the kick panel in front of the passenger seat for the ignition switch?

tom

Old 06-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
Bikestuff

There are two pieces. 1). The lock cylinder that has the key hole in it. Napa part number ks66491 and the ignition switch housing (holds the lock cylinder). Napa part number Ks6603.

To remove the switch housing first pull on the surrounding trim piece. It is held on by those little tree thingies.

Next you need the key in ignition. Locate the tiny hole next to where the key goes in. Put a paper clip in the hole and gently giggle the key. ( I am not sure if the key needs to be in position 0, 1, or 2. But you should be able to feel a little button depress. When you get it right, the entire lock cylinder along with the key will come out.

Now you should be able to spin off the bezel. Be sure to hold the back piece cause you could spin the wires on the back into a knot.

When the fron bezel comes loose, you will be able to extract the switch housing from the back. The wire connector is held on by a black tab on either side. (these tabs are tough to get loose so take your time)

I will follow up with a few pictures.

Cheers,

Bill
Old 06-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
Bikestuff

Ok I have a solution.

The symptom is that you turn the ignition key switch and nothing happens. It acted just like a completely dead battery except I could start the coach from the engine bay. Once started from engine I would have power in the front (gauges, etc).

The problem was that the IGN ST relay had failed. Jim at Newell had me swap that relay with the AC / heat relay (another single throw) and the key magically started working. The relay is below the glove box behind an access panel. The start relay is in the second column from left third from bottom. Just below the headlight low beam mini breaker.

I replaced the broken relay and all is now working.

Thanks for all the help and well wishes! And, if you run into my dog Baxter, please don't tell him that I fixed the problem. I told him that he fixed it.

Cheers,

Bill
Old 06-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
RussWhite

Good job Baxter! Thanks for the follow up post that will no doubt help someone else in the future when they search for why their coach won't start. I hope you got a treat from Bill for your efforts :-)
Russ
Old 06-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #12
Bikestuff

Default Pictures

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-2.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	2317Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-3.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	2318Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-4.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	2319
Here are some pictures. The first one is the connector on the back of the switch. The second one shows where the bad relay was (it is removed in picture) and the last picture is the back of switch and the front and back bezels.

In discussing this with Newell, they said that some of the coaches have individual connecters on each blade. (Not one giant connector that includes all the conductors). If you see a bunch of individual wires on your switch, you might want to talk the factory and get their recommendation.

Cheers,bill
Old 06-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #13
RussWhite

Bill,

Looks like when the realy is plugged in, the label is hidden. Thanks for posting the pictures.
Russ