Air compressor problem? - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2013, 01:41 AM   #21
larryweikart

Click image for larger version

Name:	pole barn.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	4452I may have to do just that Jon, but first I will visit the farmer who farms the land where our storage building is located. He more then likely has a pair laying around that I can use. Hope to get at it tomorrow. Pic of our "barn"

1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:51 AM   #22
afrench45

Was the 05' the one in the Moore tornado?

afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:05 AM   #23
Neweller

Nice barn of course Larry!

Andrew, that sounds like the one. It wasn't all that bad and will be a nice savings if the builder plans on owning it. I was trying to get her for 110k and missed the darn deal. Think it sold for around 130k. Newell wanted like 300k to repair it. ouch!
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #24
77newell

Larry: did you figure out what was going on. I would appreciate knowing what you found so I benefit from improved understanding of how the air system is configured
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #25
NewellCrazy

Any updates Larry? Inquiring minds want to know

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:14 AM   #26
larryweikart

Finally had to have a service come out today and jack the coach up and remove the drivers side tag so I could get to the air dryer. Decided to get a new filter and install, but that was not the culprit. I removed the line going from the air dryer to the bags and there was plenty of air, so I called Newell again and my next project, tomorrow, is to remove the line that goes into the rear manifold. They tell me there is a check valve there that I should check for proper operation. I feel like I'm chasing my tail on this one. I re-hooked up my 12v compressor and it did fill the supply tank, but the 110v compressor won't, so I'm not understanding the correlation between a check valve in the rear manifold and the lack of air in the supply tank from the 110 v compressor. Onward and upward tomorrow! The guys at Newell are doing their best to help me........as usual
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
Old 08-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #27
77newell

Larry: thanks for the update and really sorry about the problems you are having. My guess would be, and you know how much those are worth but here goes anyway, that the 120v compressor feeds into the system prior to the check valve and the 12v pump after the valve and probably directly into the tank you are troubled by. If both the engine compressor and the 120v sources are producing the same result they must have identical routing prior to where the hangup is. Do you have a location of the check valve? And when you get there would you post a picture. I think I may have one too on the sidewall just around the corner and ahead of the rear six-pack.

I would love to come help you but right now we are in the lead-up to the Woodward Dream Cruise, the biggest one day car event in the world. On Saturday there will be about 35,000 collector cars and 1.5 million people here and we live about a block from Woodward. Since it's the 60th anniversary of the Corvette there are Corvettes everywhere of all vintages cruising around already not to mention the thousands of other cars already cruising. For those that like cars and haven't been here yet it is an amazing event. You'all come to Detroit now hear - well actually the event starts in Ferndale at the north city limits of Detroit but that is no complaint about Detroit it's just how it started.
2007 civic toad
Old 08-16-2013, 01:16 AM   #28
larryweikart

I found a valve today, picture 1, that (I believe) has a line coming from the 120v compressor, a line going to the rear manifolds and a line going to the small supply tank. It has 2 shut off valves. I sent pics to Newell and am going to have to wait until Monday to see what they think. I'm not in any rush and I don't want to break anything in the process of fixing the problem. If you're talking about the same thing in picture 1, I checked this today and there is plenty of air going thru, however no air goes from this to the manifolds. Actually, the blue line you can see in the picture that runs thru the frame rail is the line that feeds the manifold, and comes from the valve in picture 1 which is located between the drive axle and the transmission cooling fans
Name:  IMG_0803.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  11.6 KBClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0792.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	4465
I have never been to the Woodward Dream Cruise but it is definitely on my bucket list. Have a great weekend, I'm sure we will meet one of these days
Old 08-16-2013, 03:36 AM   #29
Leeann J

I'm not in any rush and I don't want to break anything in the process of fixing the problem.

Larry that's how I get when it comes to things breaking on our coach. I hope you get it all fixed up soon.

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

There is always, always, always something to be thankful for.
Leeann J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:55 AM   #30
larryweikart

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0863.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	4470Well, we may be getting closer, Mike, at Newell, seems pretty sure the problem is the DOT check valve located above the Transmission cooler.(see pic) It looks like a very difficult area to get to let alone turn a wrench, but I plan on giving it a good shot tomorrow!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:02 AM   #31
Neweller

Larry, you are an ambitious youngster aren't you? And a fantastic picture taker too!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 08-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #32
larryweikart

You're batting 500 Ken, I am a youngster (a relative term), but ambitious? We'll have to wait to see if I can even get to that valve let alone take it off. Isn't it amazing how those little phones can take a better picture than the Minolta cameras I used to take a loan out just to buy! Hoosier Daddy stopped by last night to lend some support and wish me good luck. Newell owners are special people. In hindsight, I sure wished I had put a pit in the floor when I built the building! If you don't hear from me for a while you'll know I went fishing instead.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:58 AM   #33
larryweikart

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  9.7 KBWell, checked the DOT valve today and there is air coming in but nothing coming out. So with the help of my farmer we managed to disconnect 6 air lines and unbolt the valve from the frame cross member. It took most of 4 hours with occasional breaks to let the blood return to our arms and get out from underneath to get other tools. It definitely was not a job for a heavy person but definitely required 2 people. Waiting for the new valve to come from Newell. They sure were helpful, especially Mike Ellis. Here's a picture he sent me of a new valve. Getting this all back together will certainly be another challenge.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:32 AM   #34
MrE

I realize it's been a lot of work and frustration, but if you're anything like me you have to be elated that you've finally isolated the issue.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:53 AM   #35
Neweller

Looking forward to hearing of the completed project and getting that baby back up to snuff.

-Bob Marley
Old 08-21-2013, 03:15 AM   #36
77newell

I've got one of those "DOT check valves" between the engine driven compressor and the Brakemaster 60 dryer on my 93 coach. According to what I was able to find on the Bendix site smaller versions of this valve are used to ensure that an upstream pressure is at some pre-established pressure before it lets air flow through. The idea is to prevent air from passing from critical uses to non-critical uses unless sufficient pressure is present. I'm guessing Larry's valve works the same way though in a larger size that I found listed on the Bendix site.

On my coach's valve near the compressor I'm thinking it is used to prevent the turbocharger air feeding the compressor from blowing out the vent when the dryer is bleeding down. Newer dryers have internal valving to prevent this but the earlier model 60 may not. I'm planning on asking Newell about this tomorrow. I'm switching to a Bendix AD-9 dryer like I installed on my 77 coach (which had no dryer when I bought it). After that installation I never found any water or oil in any tank drains and ended up replacing the drains with petcocks that I checked once per year with no worries about air leaking.
2007 civic toad
Old 08-22-2013, 02:06 AM   #37
77newell

I checked with Newell today and they confirmed my hypothesis about the function of the DOT check valve just downstream from my compressor (see my previous post). That valve is no longer need with the newer dryers.

BTW, I bought a very nice used Bendix AD-9 dryer off eBay for about $80 including shipping. When I bought the metal wrapped Teflon lined hose to go between the compressor and dryer it cost $130, the the hose is NEW so how can I complain: Geez Louise I just got hosed.

2007 civic toad