Hello from Montana - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2013, 06:09 AM   #1
griz

eureka
Talking Hello from Montana

I'm a former BlueBird owner and loved my coach. Still scratching my head over why I sold the old girl.

Now in the research phase to find another top flight coach, but still about 2 years away from a purchase.

Living in Montana, 40 foot or greater coaches and tag axles are not practical. For the most part, the newer coaches are too big for me, although they look great. Of course, money comes into play as well.

Saw an '83, 36 foot Newell a couple of weeks ago that would be dandy for me and the wife. We want to see the USA in a...fine motor coach, equal to my old Bird or better.

So I'm here to learn and eventually get some guidance.

Best regards,
Griz aka Steve

griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Yachts

Welcome, there are many people here who are super knowledgeable about Newell's and are more than happy to share

Yachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
rellick

Welcome Steve, there is a few that are looking for the same thing, shorter quality coaches that are a little more practical for getting into tighter spots, they are not very common, a few of us are working on upgrading some of these, stay tuned...
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
RoDesign

Welcome to the Luxury Coach Lifestyle family Steve. We'll have fun here and hope to share a lot of information. Montana is a great state to live and visit and whatever you may end up with in a Newell or any other pristine type of luxury coach you will be always welcomed here.
RoDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
The Newell

Hello & Welcome Steve,

I hope you are enjoying the Newell Forums, You have just found and joined the friendliest & most informative website pertaining to Luxury Coach Ownership on the web. If you have any questions/answers please feel free to post them or to send one of us moderators a private message. We are all here to help so don't be afraid to call on us!

Welcome Again!

Joseph

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
Neweller

Griz to LCL-Luxury Coach Lifestyle. So glad you found us Steve and we are here to assist you in your quest any way we can. I along with many others around here are also Wanderlodge enthusiasts. You have a taste for extreme classic quality in luxury motor coaches. You will fit in and get along just fine around here. As Rellick state above, there are a select group of us trying to bring some pretty cool offerings in the way of upgraded customized flare to the classics and or shorties. I have been contemplating similar thoughts as I have owned three Newells under 40 feet and have driven others over that including bus conversions and really like the advantages of the shorter models. So, I've been thinking real hard about a classic cruiser converted with a couple of slide-outs.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #7
larryweikart

Welcome aboard Steve. Be a little cautious when chatting with Ken, he's known as a little bit of a tease, ie; his "Name the Classic" contest he's been teasing us with for, what seems like, an eternity, other then that he's a great guy with lots of knowledge about Luxury Coaches. This forum along with Newells 24/7 service line makes Newell a solid choice! Sounds like you have some nice travel plans in your future. Driving a Newell on your adventures would be pleasant as well as sharing your stories and pics, on this forum, with fellow enthusiists. Good Luck in your quest!
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:33 AM   #8
Erika

Welcome Steve it's good to have you! I know you'll enjoy this forum we have a great bunch that are full of knowledge and wisdom when it comes to Newell coaches. Good luck on the hunt for a new coach.
Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
griz

eureka

I am resigned to a long search. 38' pusher with a full basement would be the optimal size, but I've not seen any of those. I don't know how tag axles would do on the roads that I travel.

I'll keep looking...
Old 11-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
folivier

They're out there griz. I just traded a 1993 39' no tag Newell for a 45' double slide.
The 39' was much more maneuverable. I think any Newell 40' or longer will have a tag.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #11
Yachts

Wasn't there a 96 sine axel in New Mexico for sale last month
Old 11-13-2013, 11:55 PM   #12
rellick

I may have one for sale closer to spring if you are interested pm me
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:20 AM   #13
Ron Skeen

First motorhome I own was a 40', then went to 34', then 40', then 45', then 45'8". Going down the interstate the longer with a tag the better and in tight parks, shorter the best. Once you get use to what your driving it become a matter of what you want to do and where you want to stay. I am reducing my 96 from 99K to 95K and the 04 from 399K to 380K. Need to sell one. Email for pictures and info.
ron@skeenrentals.com
1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Ron Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #14
NewellCrazy

Welcome Steve,

What year range are you seeking? I know of a few early to mid 80's for sale.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:45 AM   #15
griz

eureka

The lower priced united is within reach, but not until Fall of 14.

I've expected to learn that a 40 w/tag is better down the road than a 40 w/o tag. However, for my purposes, a 40 may not make it where I go to the edges of the Montana wilderness. I always thought that it would be tough going for a 35' w/3 topside AC units going down the Forest Service roads that I enjoy so much.

If I could support multiple busses, I'd have a little one and a big one.
I can't, so I must make a sound compromise.
That's so easily said….
Old 11-14-2013, 01:05 AM   #16
Yachts

Hey Ron I told a guy looking for a series 60 no slide about yours, told him it maybe best no slide out there..
Old 11-14-2013, 01:52 AM   #17
Ron Skeen

Thanks for the reference. I had installed (stand alone) auto gen start on the 89 with a Freedom modify sine inverter/charger and on the 96 with a Magnum Pure Sine inverter charger and auto gen start. No problem with either. I have a magnum (stand alone) auto gen start for the 04 that I have not installed yet on the xantrex prosine inverter. I have used auto gen start for the last 12 years and have never had any problems.
[h=1][/h]
sin
1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Ron Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #18
77newell

For highway travel handling the longest legal coach will get you there most comfortably. For off highway handling you want the shortest coach you can live with. Since you seem to be most interested in "country roads take me home" John Denver style, it would seem to me you want the shortest coach you can live with for the length of stay you wish to have. For me the length of stay is a large determinant of what would work. I can live in a pop-up for a couple days, though my wife wouldn't. After that I would be really eager to have more of my own stuff. I once had a 28ft Airstream motorhome that we took into some pretty wild places, the limitations were more due to height than to width or length. The other limiting factor is weight, given its weight I took that 28 footer places I wouldn't even consider with my current 39 foot Newell. I love the Newell but it certainly will not reliably go, and return from, places we quite easily went in the Airstream.

Since you appear to highly respect the Newell's quality I would suggest you think about the characteristics of locations you wish to visit, define the motorhome characteristics that best fits those locations, and then determine the highest end manufacturer that makes coaches to those characteristics. Getting fixated on a brand best fits at the end of the selection process rather than on the beginning.. The question is what motorhome is best at doing what I want to do, not that I would like to own. If it does what you want to do you will like it in the end.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #19
MrE

There were no tag axles made prior to 1987 to my knowledge, even on the 40' models. I have seen a few coaches made since then that were shorter than 40' without tags.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #20
bluesky

We just toured through Montana and other states in our 40 non-tag Newell and we had no problems, although there are length restrictions in some of the National Parks. We spent 90 % of our time on the secondary roads at high elevation and tight turns with no problems. 40' is perfect in my mind, lots of room to relax and quite easy to manoeuvre.

Kelowna, British Columbia
Canada
1983 Newell Classic
https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=47
1993 SOB
bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote