Power awning won't retract any more - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
Newellin Thunder

Default Power awning won't retract any more

I've got a power awning that worked great up until about a yesterday. It started having trouble retracting when we were boondocked, so I assumed that it was caused by low voltage. Fired up the generator and it retracted. Now it won't retract even when hooked up to shore power, so I know its not low batteries.

It extends fully without any trouble. When I hit the retract button the motor runs (can hear it) and the awning starts to move, but doesn't seem to have enough power to start retracting. It will start to roll up about an inch, then drop back down, then repeat. I can get it to retract by grabbing the center of the awning and hand-twisting it for the first couple of rotations, then it continues very slowly on its own. Once fully retracted, it continues trying to roll up, again moving about an inch, then slipping, then moving again. I have to turn off the power to the awning to get the motor to stop.

Anybody have this happen to them? Could it be a bad (weak) motor? Not enough tension in the roller arm? Would appreciate any input from the forum members before I have to call an awning repairman.

2005 Newell Thunder
Shakin the open road!
Newellin Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
lbrachfe

I had motor issues that I resolved after rebooting and fiddled with the 2 adjustment screws, first all the way in and then out. Motors will shut down quickly when overheated so your slow roll up maybe something else like something hanging it up that may be stuck in the fabric or around the internal gears. Online at Girard is a troubleshooting guide if you have a model 2000.

lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
GringoPhil

It sounds to me like something in the motor assembly has slid out of position. Something is not engaging as completely as it should. Don't use the awning until you can get it looked at. And see if you can find a way to secure it so it will not unfurl when you travel.