Two 50 amp connections - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
greatriver

Default Two 50 amp connections

Do some Newell's, especially the newer coaches have two 50 amp connections (cables) requiring connection to two 50 amp outlets? I know this is fairly common with large yachts and in the back of my mind I thought this was the case with some late model Newell's but now I'm not sure. If so then from my very limited knowledge of electrical matters I believe this would give the coach access to 200 amps.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:36 AM   #2
chockwald

Larry...I believe that is true, but Michael is the expert on this, and I'm sure he will report shortly....

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:17 AM   #3
Wally Arntzen

I have never heard of any coach having two 50amp power sources. It would be difficult to use two 50amp power sources at any RV park without taking two spaces. I don't think that there is any question that Newell has the ability to power all of the equipment in there coaches as they have for many years with the 50amp's supplied to the coach.

I am not an electrical engineer but I suspect that with 50amps coming into the coach and the inverters that are in the new coaches they can exceed the 100amps from the two legs of power if needed for short periods of time.

The people who design these coaches are expert at distributing power usage throught the coach to prevent overloading the power source. If anyone has had any problem with using all of the equipment at the same time I would to hear about it.

I can run all of my air conditioners, electric water heater, etc with the 50amp pluged in or with the generator running and have never blown a breaker or had any type of power problem.

I think its time you get the Newell that you want and enjoy the comfort of a great coach with no power problems.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
fulltiming

I am not aware of Newell making a unit with 2-50 amp power connectors. Some of the newer high-end parks are installing a few 100 amp power services. My Newell has a 60 main breaker and I recall that by 1995, they had 70 amp main breakers. IF the power cord were sized to carry 70 amps per leg and there were a 100 amp breaker at the pedestal, you would have up to 140 amps available (theoretically). Newell used the larger main breaker to take advantage of the 17.5 kw and 20 kw gensets.

La Hacienda RV Resort, the site of the first Newell mini-rally, is installing 100 amp circuits in a few sites.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
greatriver

Somewhere in the recess of my strange mind I seem to remember something about a coach with two standard 50 amp leads, but I can't recall what or where. What prompted the question was someone made a post on the RVnet forum asking about 100 amp hook ups he had seen. I told him of my two 50 amp lead theory but got to thinking where that came from. Also, since Newell started making all electric coaches in the mid-90's (I believe) with 240v Aqua Hot, W/D, and cooktops, and they only had one 50 amp connection something didn't add up.

Well as so often happens on the RVnet forum the original question was ignored and an argument started over 50 amp circuits. Finally a rv park owner posted that someone with an '08 Newell stayed in his park and rented two spaces because he had two 50 amp cables. He did say that in addition to what we would consider standard Newell features the coach had a standard radiant oven. He also stated that the coach had 12 glass mat house batteries and I've never heard of that. Anyway, that's the reason for the question.

Wally, you are right, I should move on with a purchase but we built a plan around selling our home and that is proving to be a struggle. I never thought I would see the time when residential real estate was in this fix. Anyway we have reason to think that things may be finally moving ahead by the first of the year. I keep a pretty up to date file on all available Newell's in our price range so we'll be able to move when we get a contract.

Our best to all for a wonderful holiday season.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatriver View Post
Somewhere in the recess of my strange mind I seem to remember something about a coach with two standard 50 amp leads, but I can't recall what or where. What prompted the question was someone made a post on the RVnet forum asking about 100 amp hook ups he had seen. I told him of my two 50 amp lead theory but got to thinking where that came from. Also, since Newell started making all electric coaches in the mid-90's (I believe) with 240v Aqua Hot, W/D, and cooktops, and they only had one 50 amp connection something didn't add up.

Well as so often happens on the RVnet forum the original question was ignored and an argument started over 50 amp circuits. Finally a rv park owner posted that someone with an '08 Newell stayed in his park and rented two spaces because he had two 50 amp cables. He did say that in addition to what we would consider standard Newell features the coach had a standard radiant oven. He also stated that the coach had 12 glass mat house batteries and I've never heard of that. Anyway, that's the reason for the question.

Wally, you are right, I should move on with a purchase but we built a plan around selling our home and that is proving to be a struggle. I never thought I would see the time when residential real estate was in this fix. Anyway we have reason to think that things may be finally moving ahead by the first of the year. I keep a pretty up to date file on all available Newell's in our price range so we'll be able to move when we get a contract.

Our best to all for a wonderful holiday season.
Larry,

I am no electrician but I think I know what you are talking about.

I had a Bertram 38' sportfish back in the early 80s, and it had 2 - 30amp power cords. The larger boats had 2 - 50 amp power cords. One was for the air conditioners (2) and the other power cord was for the other electrical needs on the boat. I don't understand WHY the boats were wired like that but they were.

As I understand it (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) our Newells have 2 - 120V lines; L1 & L2. Each leg can carry 50 amps; therefore, we can run a total of 100 amps without tripping the breaker at the power pedestal in the RV park.

During the summer months, if you watch the amp meters you will see what I am talking about.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
greatriver

Tuga:

I think you broke the code so to speak. I had a 37' Tiffany sport fisherman about the same time you had your Bertram. It had a 50 amp cable on a Glendinning reel. However the larger Tiffany's had two 50 amp cables and that is what has probably been in the back of my mind. Of course that doesn't explain the '08 Newell the park owner spoke of but of course with Newell being so custom most anything is possible. I just wonder how the energy management system worked.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:37 PM   #8
greatriver

As a follow up to my last post I just saw that Karl Blade made a post on the RV Net forum thread in question and cleared up the issue. Newell did build a coach for a Texas customer who carries show dogs. The coach has five A/C's and they are run off of one of two 50 amp supplys. However, the coach only has 6 AGM 12v batteries and not 12 - 6v as stated. Just another example of the versatility Newell offers its customers.