Liberty Coach Adds Eco-Friendly Batteries lithium iron phosphate battery system - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
NewellCrazy

Default Liberty Coach Adds Eco-Friendly Batteries lithium iron phosphate battery system

I am curious to know if Newell Coach will make the same jump that Liberty Coach made and change over to Lithium Batteries.

Liberty Coach has announced that it will be incorporating an eco-friendly battery system into all newly constructed motorcoaches.

After exhaustive testing and research with the new battery system in Liberty Coach’s H3-45 triple slide, Frank Konigseder, vice president and co-owner of Liberty Coach, said in a news release, “We are happy with its performance and have made the decision to incorporate it into all our new models.”

With the introduction of a lithium iron phosphate battery system, several environmentally friendly advantages have occurred. The new system uses a non-toxic disposable battery that also has a much longer lifecycle than the previous battery system. Also, because fewer of these new batteries are required to power the various on-board electronics and other systems, there is a tremendous weight savings as well, making the coaches more energy efficient.

“By changing to the new lithium iron phosphate battery technology, we were able to eliminate 1,150 pounds of total weight from our H3-45 triple-slide model,” said Konigseder. “Additionally, whereas the older batteries typically would last about three years, these new batteries have on average a 10-year life cycle.”

While Liberty Coach is very happy with the performance and environmental benefits of this new system, the initial expense is more than traditional batteries. However, some of this additional cost is offset by the battery’s increased life expectancy which also helps save money when getting a coach ready for resale.

Many high-end motorcoach owners trade in their coaches every two or three years. Up to now, when a coach was being made ready for resale, typically the batteries were one of the first things to be replaced, which may not be necessary going forward.

With this new system, all batteries communicate on a proprietary network which continuously monitors each battery cell. The status is displayed on an output monitor that enables Liberty Coach to utilize the generator automatic starting system more efficiently by controlling the start/stop of the generator based exclusively on amp hour usage.

“The history of each battery is maintained in a non-volatile log which can be retrieved at any time,” Konigseder explained. “This may eliminate the need to replace batteries on used coaches in the future since we now have an accurate way to determine the need based on the actual usage of the batteries in each coach.”

Liberty Coach continually researches and tests new systems, materials and components to make sure the most reliable, user-friendly, and technologically advanced systems are being incorporated into their products.

Later this summer, for example, Liberty Coach will introduce the Apple iPad into their built-in, on-board electronics. The iPad will be integrated into every coach’s Crestron Control Touchpanel system which controls seven zones of audio, video, lighting, HVAC, shades and even the outdoor awning, in addition to monitoring and managing the fresh water and waste water, power generator, air doors and locks. Additionally, the Moritz Octoplex system controls the air conditioning circuit breakers and more than 100 dimmable and programmable DC breakers for lights, valves and other mechanical systems.

The company has facilities in Stuart, Fla., and Chicago.

For more information about Liberty Coach please visit www.LibertyCoach.com or call (800) 554-9877.

Article Source:Liberty Coach Adds Eco-Friendly Batteries | RV Business

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
folivier

Hoping my batteries last a few more years. But when they need replacing these are on my short list. The specs look incredible. You can save a lot of weight and space. The biggest factor is you can safely draw these down to about 20% of capacity rather than the 50-60% capacity of lead/acid batteries. Basically you won't need as many amphours of batteries. And they charge much faster.

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
jack14r

Liberty made the change to LI batteries around July of 2010,you can go to the Liberty site and read about the benefits of these batteries,at the top of the home page click on NEWS and scroll down to the article from 2010.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
Starvin Marvin

I agree that is the only way to go. I wonder if we would have to change anything on our wiring to run the Lithium Ion batteries. The weight savings is a huge plus for me, that is why I had one fuel tank removed and I gained some greater needed storage.
Starvin Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:26 AM   #5
Newell Attack

Cool stuff, My only question is this: Lithium Iron or Lithium Ion?

Jeff & Leann Shackly
Newell Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
smagown

What do they cost?
97 #458 w/3 roof airs, 07 997 GT3, 62 Vette,67 SS427 Chevelle, 02 Boxter, 74 GMC mtr hm, 88 Mastercraft 190 Prostar, 86 Ski Nautique 2000, 02 Baja Islander 212
smagown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
lbrachfe

have heard some horror stories from coach owners about many different things. It may appear that it will take a few years to get the bugs out and the price reasonable
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
NewellCrazy

Here’s a list of all the advantages of LiFePo4 batteries:
  • Safe technology — will not catch fire or explode with overcharge
  • Over 2000 discharge cycles life compared to typically around 300 for lead acid
  • Double the usable capacity of similar amp hour lead acid batteries
  • Virtually flat discharge curve means maximum power available until fully discharged (no “voltage sag” as with lead acid batteries)
  • High discharge rate capability, 10C continuous, 20C pulse discharge
  • Unlike lead acid batteries, can be left in a partially discharged state for extended periods without causing permanent damage
  • Extremely low self discharge rate (unlike lead acid which will go flat quite quickly if left sitting for long periods)
  • Does not suffer from “thermal runaway”
  • Can be used safely in high ambient temperatures of up to 60C without any degradation in performance
  • Maintenance free for the life of the battery
  • Can be operated in any orientation
  • Does not contain any toxic heavy metals such as lead, cadmium, nor any corrosive acids or alkalies thus making LiFePO4 batteries the most environmentally friendly battery chemistry available
  • LiFePO4 cells are of solid construction — there are no fragile/brittle plates made of lead which can be prone to failure over time as a result of vibration
  • Can be safely rapidly recharged — when fully discharged can be brought to a state of over 90% fully charged in 15 minutes

Old 12-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
NewellCrazy

I agree Larry, Once all the bugs are worked out this will be the only way to go.

If you have the time here is a great read on Lithium Ion/Iron RV Batteries

Lithium Ion Batteries for RV House Systems / LiFePO4 | Technomadia

Old 12-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
NewellCrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smagown View Post
What do they cost?

Steve,

Check out the following link it has lots of good information including prices.

Cost Analysis of Lithium Ion Battery Systems for RVs | Technomadia

Old 12-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #11
Neweller

That is some pretty impressive statistics. More than likely will be the trend of the future until the next break through in battery technology. Those are pretty cool looking for what it's worth. I with those on the weight saving advantage as I am on the rapid charge rate. Incredible compared with what we have had to live with for way too long.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #12
DavidBall

Depending on cost I would be interested in switching battery types.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
lbrachfe

Nice links Sean... I hope that when I need new Batteries that these will be my replacements, but I want a few more years to see if they get the bugs out...
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #14
jack14r

Liberty uses LI batteries from Mastervolt,they use 24 volt batteries with a 24 to 12 volt converter,at the present time the batteries are about $6000 each but as we all know that will change with time.Liberty thinks that the batteries will last at least 10 years which makes them cost effective with 6-8D AGM batteries from lifeline,the weight saving from the batteries as well as the weight saving from the additional cables is well over 1000 pounds.The batteries have a pannel that shows the condition and history of the batteries,this is really valuable when a coach is resold because the new owner knows exactly how many cycles the batteries have been through and how much life is left.