Seeking Information - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2010, 04:17 AM   #1
CalvinReformed

Default Seeking Information

Hello

I would like some helpful information on the advantages or differences between a Newell shell built from the ground up and a Marathon or Liberty using a Prevoust shell. Also how that effects the construction of the components inside the bus such as elctronics and funishings. I would be interested in hearing from people who have had the experience of owning other buses as well as Newell and what they believe are the major differences or advantages. One of the things that seems to be a better situation to me for Newell is that they do not have to send the shell to a different company to equip the bus with slide outs which would seem to be an advantage in production costs savings.

Thanks
Tony

CalvinReformed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
express1

Someone said "Because sometimes a Bus is not good enough "

if you think my spellin is bad, you should sea my handwritten. #437 w/flex toad (STAY AWAY FROM LARRY BELL aka larrynjeri) he is a lier and a lock picker.
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
chockwald

One of the advantages of the Newell method of frame construction (they call it bridge construction) is that the frame is built around the systems, whereas in a Prevost all the systems must be installed around the existing frame. Bridge construction allows each coach to be unique as to its layout, placment of appliances, systems, etc. There are others here that are much more qualified, and knowledgeable about Newells, and who have also owned other diesel pushers. I'm sure they will chime in at some point! Welcome to our forum!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
folivier

Welcome. Clarke pointed out a nice feature. One of these advantages of the Newell's construction is when repairing/replacing items (and things do break or wear out). I've been impressed with the ease in accessing items, such as the water heater. I've heard horror stories of other brands needing to dismantle walls or closets to replace the water heater. Of course mine is a '93 and had the Raritan heater, but it was very easy to replace.
One thing to consider about the various Prevost conversions is that some are out of business and have no factory support.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
tuga

Tony,

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you aboard. I have looked at Prevosts, driven Prevosts, and talked extensively with owners of Prevosts. I my opinion Newell is a better value for the dollar. Newells are built stronger and the systems are very simple for a tech to work on. Newell has a 24/7 emergency hotline that you can call anytime and ask any question and it will be answered by someone who actually works/has worked on coaches. Newell has a 2 year-24,000 mile written waranty on USED coaches & Prevost does not. Newell's slide outs are very dependable and again simple to operate and work on. Newell's hourly rate is presently $95/hour and I believe that Prevost is around $115/hour.

Prevost makes an excellent platform and Liberty and Marathon convert more Prevosts than the other converters. They both do an excellent job of fit and finish inside and out. But when it comes to engineering and ease of maintenance Newell is a better coach. Prevost looks like they go out of their way to make things complicated with 24 volt electric systems and automatic everything. I know of a couple of guys whose automatic water fill system failed and they burnt up a 120v Headhunter water pump. Those things aren't cheap. In order to set the valves on a Prevost you have to tear the bedroom closet up - Newell's with rear baths have a trap door in the floor. Better engineering!

Hope that I have answered some of your questions. Give me a call 985 381 6613 if you would like to talk more in detail.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
Neweller

Tony, first of all welcome to NewellClassic.com. Glad you are searching and seeking out a quality coach. For the most part, you should obtain great information here in the forum.

This topic has been addressed on the forum a couple of times. I know for one, I could write for hours on the differences between a “bus conversion” and a “Newell Coach”. A bus is that, a bus! And a Newell Coach is a ground up designed, engineered and built motorcoach or motorhome. At Newell Coach, they engineer and integrate all systems to function together for their designed purpose. I for one, like many other members here, have been down the same road of research it sounds as if you are on. I actually have a history with Marathon and respect the company very much. They build a great conversion and exactly that, a conversion. Myself, I can’t find a real comparison between a converted bus and a factory built Newell Coach. There have been some improvements with companies such as Prevost and MCI building shells with slides for converters like the ones you mentioned. But, they are still a conversion.

Best of luck to you and hope you too find all the greatness in a Newell. Please take advantage of the information here. I’m sure many will add their opinions and thoughts.
Ken W.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:46 AM   #7
prairieschooner

Welcome, I am sure that after you do your due diligence you will decide on a NEWELL. After all you almost answered your question yourself.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:53 AM   #8
Erika

Hi Tony,

Glad to see you went ahead and joined the forums here! As you can already see we have a wonderful bunch here who can be very helpful in giving you input on the Newell Coach and I am sure many others will hit this topic with some helpful thoughts as well.

Below I have linked some past topics here that may help.

Why did you buy a Newell Coach?
http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48

Are we ready for newell
http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=769

benefits of newell vs. prevost and blue bird
http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=556

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote