Gas Furnace - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2002, 06:36 AM   #1
Danny Roccaforte

Default Gas Furnace

I am looking to replace 2 of the gas furnances on my 87 newell. I currently have DUO-THERM model 90120. Does anyone have any suggestions on replacements

Danny Roccaforte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 02:43 AM   #2
TechTalk

Gas Furnace In the Newell Service Department, when required, we replace the original equipment Duo-Therm LP furnaces with an Attwood Model 8516, Newell part number NC-23425. This change also requires a exterior door assembly, Newell part number NC-23427. We have a lead time for ordering these parts of about a week. The parts cost about $500. We recommend this conversion be done by a qualified technician. The hydronic system John Clark suggests in the previous message is definitely a significant upgrade from propane furnaces. We would recommend the Aqua Hot system, which is a complete "kit" and uses a Webasto boiler, over buying a Webasto boiler and then buying the rest of the system piece by piece. The complete Aqua Hot system is well engineered and the components are well matched. It will provide three zones of heat, and the propriatary Newell version includes a 220 volt electric mode. ("Non-Newell" Aqua Hot systems use only 120 volts on electric mode, and this will do little more than "take the chill off--it is not adequate freeze protection.) But either approach to hydronic heating, Webasto boiler plus buying the rest of the pieces, or the complete Aqua Hot system, is going to carry a pretty hefty cost of materials, and lots of labor. By comparison, converting to the Attwood furnaces is relatively quick, relatively inexpensive, and it will keep you warm.

TechTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 03:45 AM   #3
TechTalk

Hi Danny:

Are you pretty good mechanically.? If so, you might consider installing a Webasto heating system. Dick Wright at WRICO in Idaho has all the parts. Your Newell comes with off engine heat in the bedroom and front dash. I removed all three propane heaters and added a heater core under the fridge (with ducting to the bathroom) When I have shore power I use an electric water heater and the factory water pump to circulate the heated water. When dry camped, I use fuel to heat the water and when going down the road the engine keeps the coach warm. By activating a solenoid I can also preheat the engine before starting. This system is similiar to Newell's current system (Aqua Hot), except I use the existing heater hoses rather than dedicated tubing. I control room heat by indivual heater core fans controlled by wall thermostats.

If you ever have to replace an a/c, get a Duo Therm air conditioner with a remote controller. It not only shuts your roof air (fan included) off automatically, but you can control your heaters (propane or diesel heat) with its mode/zone options.
If you prefer to stay with propane, I suggest installing a Surburban gas furnace (Duo Therm no longer makes furnaces). You will have to modify the exterior vent holes, but it is doable. Another option is to cut a hole in the side of your coach and install a Hydroflame furnace. I attended RV Tech school (RVIA) and feel very comfortable with propane installations, pressure checks etc. If you are not familiar with propane heating, I suggest you farm this job out.

Another option is the propane catalytic heater. It is the most efficient device energy wise, but also the most dangerous. You need to use a CO2 detector, keep a window cracked, and turn it off before going to bed and . It also has a tendency to fog over the windows in very cold weather. Some people love 'em and some people hate 'em.
Good luck and enjoy!
TechTalk is offline   Reply With Quote