Tech Talk Archives 2 - Page 3 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #41
Neweller

A
503 2/19/2002 9:08:10 AM 2/19/2002 Gary Reddick greddick@earthlink.net TV SET REMOVAL I need to remove the 32" Panasonic Tv from the overhead to rewire the sound system. Are the two retaining brackets at the top of the enclosure the only retainers? I can't find any obvious method of securing the TV at the bottom.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #42
Neweller

Q
504 2/20/2002 7:46:36 AM 2/21/2002 otto burleson bigdog1930@yahoo.com Check Engine Light Ref staff respon 7/31/01 - as of today - 2-20-02 - DDEC I is not showing ANY errors and the check engine light has been on many many times for as much as 3 to 8 minutes. Long enough to register.

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 10-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #43
Neweller

A
505 2/21/2002 7:52:02 AM 2/21/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com TV SET REMOVAL Typically, the bottom of the television is secured with screws to a plywood base. The plywood base is then placed into the cabinet cavity and screwed to the floor of the cabinet..

-Bob Marley
Old 10-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #44
Neweller

A
506 2/22/2002 10:36:39 PM 2/24/2002 Raul Cortez raulcortez@aol.com towable vehicles I tow a 2001 Chevy Suburban behind my 1995 w/series 60 engine. I use a Remco drive shaft disconnect and haven't had any problems. I can't even tell that I am towing anything unless I look in the video monitor. Engaging and dis-engaging the drive shaft must be done as instructed. If not, you will have problems. Vehicle must be on, and in Neutral, then turn off ignition and pull cable. To engage: Vehicle on, and in Neutral, turn vehicle off and engage cable, it will catch the drive shaft as it slows to a stop. Good Luck, email me if you have any other questions.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #45
Neweller

A
507 2/24/2002 10:56:19 AM 2/24/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com 1979 Newell Replacement heaters are made by Qmark, 470 Beauty Sot Road, East Bennettsville, SC 29512. Call Carrol Appliance Parts at 800 654 3545 for parts. Grainger also carries their heaters, but they are about 25% more costly.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #46
Neweller

A
508 2/24/2002 7:35:31 PM 2/25/2002 Colby Phillips phillco_us@yahoo.com license WHAT KIND OF LICENSE IS REQUIRED TO DRIVE A COACH, (I.E. FOR MY SELF OR FOR SOMEONE ELSE). THANKS

-Bob Marley
Old 10-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #47
Neweller

Q
509 2/25/2002 5:35:53 AM 2/25/2002 TechTalk Staff techtalk@newellcoach.com license Typically, an ordinary motor vehicle driver's license is all that is required. A couple of exceptions we are aware of: California's new regulations extending the legal length limit to 45 feet has some special requirements for an endorsement allowing the operation of vehicles in excess of 40 feet. This requirement extends only to operators carrying California motor vehicle licenses. Out-of-state drivers can operate coaches up to 45 feet in California without special licensing. In addition, in all states, if a coach is being operated commercially, such as a corporate hospitality coach, a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) may be required. However, under most circumstances, a valid basic operator's license is all that is required. In addition, we have never seen the CDL requirement enforced. Attempts to require additional special licensing have been consistently defeated based primarily upon the excellent safety statistics for large coaches, with much lower accident and fatality rates than passenger cars. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

-Bob Marley
Old 10-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #48
Neweller

A
510 2/25/2002 6:24:10 PM 2/25/2002 Leon A. Goldstein metapsych@earthlink.net microwave toilet I found this concept intriguing too. This sarcastic report is the only thing I have found.
http://www.sonic.net/~paul/humour/msg00176.html

-Bob Marley
Old 10-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #49
Neweller

A
511 2/25/2002 8:58:44 PM 2/26/2002 Raul Cortez raulcortez@aol.com Aqua Hot digital reading.. My Aqua Hot is registering weird temperatures. The water is hot and the heaters are heating, but the reading is very low. It used to read 200 max. And would fluctuate when hot water was used. Gary in parts recommended changing the sending unit. I will try that when I get it. Any hints on where it is located? And I don't see any coolant in the overflow reservoir. Should I add some coolant? What is the proper amount to add if needed? Should I be able to see coolant in the reservoir when hot? All advice is appreciated from fellow Newellies and Tech support.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #50
Neweller

Q
512 2/26/2002 10:19:24 AM 2/27/2002 D. Wolfe dennis.wolfe@nordstrom.com How Much Trouble Are They? We are considering purchasing a 1987 38' coach, DD 8V92 engine and 4-speed Allison. I've read in several MH forums that 'you have to expect things to break on something that old'. But how much trouble are they, really? Do you have problems every trip or once-in-awhile? Are the problems fairly minor or major? I'm not expecting THE answer, just want to hear your experiences. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but I don't want to get in over my head. Thanks.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #51
Neweller

Q
513 2/26/2002 8:45:05 PM 2/27/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com '78 Newell Fuel Tank Leaking I had the the same problem several years back with a 1979. My problem was finding someone who removed fuel tanks and did welding. I finally gave up and lined two garbage cans with several heavy duty plastic garbage bags and using an old shurflo water pump transfered the 60 gallons of fuel into the cans. It was than pretty easy to pull the tank and haul it to the local welding shop. Be sure they weld around the mounts and the fitting. Also make sure to flush it with a little diesel before installing. Now, using the same pump, put the fuel back in. An old water hose, a used water pump(from your rig?) and some hose clamps is all you need.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-12-2012, 06:18 AM   #52
Neweller

A
514 2/26/2002 8:48:15 PM 2/27/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com Cruise Control for a 78 If you have a vacuum powered model like I did, I suggest you upgrade to the King control. It will reduce the workload on your compressor.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-12-2012, 06:18 AM   #53
Neweller

A
515 2/26/2002 9:16:43 PM 2/27/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com ANTI-LOCK BRAKES? The good news is, you have great front brakes, the bad news is, your front tires are now out of round. On a more serious note, you might want to check your rear slack adjusters to insure your rear duals are doing their job. If all the stuff/junk in your cabinets slid forward and your wife was screaming at you, your brakes are probably fine. Stopping 30,000 lbs real quick is not an option. I owned a 79 for 8 years (140,000 miles) and never had to lock the brakes. I did reposition (back to front)assorted items within the coach on several occasions (following to close or not paying attention, according to my wife). Anti-skid brakes are possible, but the cost will probably equal the price of a new low end coach, and you will still not stop as fast as you would like.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-12-2012, 06:18 AM   #54
Neweller

A
516 2/26/2002 9:19:32 PM 2/27/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com Replacing curtains Try Camping World 800 626 5944 or if your willing to switch to blinds- Lowes or Home Depoy

-Bob Marley
Old 10-12-2012, 06:18 AM   #55
Neweller

A
518 2/27/2002 5:29:46 PM 3/1/2002 Rich Farr toptin@aol.com How Much Trouble Are They? Dennis,
We have a 1979 38 1/2 foot with 6V92DD and Allison 5 speed.
It is very well made and we have seen a few approaching 500K miles. It is wise to keep them under roof and on cement to avoid rust on undercarriage. Ours has 105K and we have had no major problems - just small stuff like awning springs, heaters, light bulbs, etc. We did have to change our power converter (battery charger) and our air leveling system is NWR. I change my own oil, filters, etc. We especially love the fact that nothing is computerized - so it makes things more friendly for the do-it-yourselfer. One thing we would love about a 1987 is the 102" wide. If it has tag axle, that will give you better braking, but you still need to slow down descending hills. Tag axle also requires class B driver's license (in this state). The 8V92 has more power (probably a 475HP) Ours is 285HP and a little anemic in the mountains - but for 10+MPG we can live with it. We cruise very comfortably at freeway speeds. As you can see, we like to talk Newell. Let us know if you would like additional conversation. Thanks.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #56
Neweller

A
519 2/28/2002 8:17:16 AM 3/1/2002 Lee Davis leedavis@zebra.net Sun Shades Where can I find the electic windshield sun shades like used on the 96. Perfer white instead of black.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #57
Neweller

Q
520 2/28/2002 8:54:38 AM 3/1/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com How Much Trouble Are They? I have owned Newells for the past 12 years. I suggest you stop by the factory to see how they are built, it is truly amazing the amount of steel they put into the unit. Unless your unit has over a quarter million miles on it, you should be ok engine and drive train wise ( I have 250,000 miles on my 87 and have only had to replace the starter (Alaska '00)

You can expect to work on the air ride system due to the number of valves and wires, but if you keep the connections clean and use it on a regular basis the cost will be minimal. Newells are kind of like helicopters, the more you fly them, the less things leak and break. If something does go wrong, stop and think (KISS),I have wasted more money replacing things that were not broken than I care to think about. Always check your grounds and fuses first, and be sure to give the item a 'little' love tap, before replacing it. One of Newells major strengths is the use of laminates inside, they are easy to clean and last forever. We have found that wood just doesn't hold up to long time use. I also like the metal exterior and Imron paint. Compare an '87 Newell exterior to an 87 fibreglass counterpart (outdoor parking) and you can definitely see the difference.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #58
Neweller

A
521 2/28/2002 9:00:50 AM 3/1/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com 1978 Newell purchase I owned a '79 and loved it (now own an '87) Dick and Rich did a great job in answering your question and I agree 100%.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #59
Neweller

A
522 2/28/2002 9:08:22 AM 3/1/2002 John Clark jvclark02@cs.com license If you are a Texas resident you will need a Class B non-CDL (over 26000 lbs). It will require a short drive and an RV related written test (plus $24) The examiner is checking to see that you can handle a 40' vehicle, without climbing onto sidewalks and backing into buildings.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #60
Neweller

A
523 2/28/2002 1:32:04 PM 3/1/2002 Chuck Cawthorne Cawthorne@Cox.Net Purchase 86 Newell I am considering the purchase of a 1986 40' Newell. The coach appears to be in good condition needing only cosmetic improvements on the interior. Can you give me information about the reliability of the basement air system?

-Bob Marley