Tech Talk Archives 12 - Page 5 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Go Back   Luxury Coach Lifestyles > Forum Archives - closed > Archive Three
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Log in Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2012, 05:04 AM   #81
Neweller

A
1583 6/9/2005 1:11:53 PM 6/9/2005 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Turning Radius The turning radius for a 39' Newell would be approximately 30 feet.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:05 AM   #82
Neweller

A
1584 6/10/2005 8:39:11 PM 6/13/2005 Eric Crinnian ericcrinnian@cableone.net Entertainment I was browsing through the catalog for the 2006 models and was checking out the entertainment options, and had a couple of questions: what brand of 42" plasmas are mounted in the Newells, and how are they mounted? From the one picture I saw, it appears they are on a motorized lift, is that correct? Also, are there any other surround systems available beside the Marantz? Thanks a lot!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 10-29-2012, 05:05 AM   #83
Neweller

Q
1585 6/11/2005 7:56:18 AM 6/13/2005 Tuga Gaidry tugagaidry@bellsouth.net glide outs I am curious to know if any of you have had problems with your glide-outs? Are they expensive to maintain? Specifically, what problems have occured? Are the problems operator-error or manufacturer design? I have a '93 and I am considering buying another Newell with glide-outs. I would also appreciate hearing from Newell tech staff regarding HWH glides vs. Valid glides. Thank you!

-Bob Marley
Old 10-29-2012, 05:06 AM   #84
Neweller

Q
1586 6/13/2005 5:29:44 AM 6/13/2005 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com glide outs Motor home slide outs are complicated devices, and Murphy's Law subjects slides to a variety of possible issues. That said, if there is a problem, it typical manifests itself in the first year of operation and is corrected. While we expect some maintenance and repairs on the slide-outs as the coach ages, our experience has been very good, with surprisingly few problems. Further, our experience with both HWH hydraulic slides and Valid electric slides has been good. The Valid system is more sophisticated, with large machine bearings reducing friction and therefore the force required to move the slides, but the HWH slides have proven to be quite reliable.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-29-2012, 05:06 AM   #85
Neweller

A
1587 6/13/2005 5:38:23 AM 6/13/2005 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Entertainment We use a variety of flat screen monitors, depending on the specific interior we create with our customer, as well as the customer's preferences. We typically currently use Zenith enhanced definition or LG high definition 42" plasma monitors in the living room area, and a variety of of brands, either plasma or LCD, as well as a variety of sizes, in the bedroom area. We have also installed small LCD flat screens in the rear bath area. While we often use Marantz surround sound home theater receivers, we occasionally install another brand to meet a customer's request. We occasionally install a motorized lift or ceiling tilt down mechanism, although most monitors are installed fixed to the wall or cabinet.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-29-2012, 05:06 AM   #86
Neweller

Q
1589 6/14/2005 3:16:56 AM 6/15/2005 Peter Kent kentps@aol.com Totally Impressed I recently toured the Newell manufacturing facility. I remain totally impressed with the "Family" feeling exuded, while touring. The Quality orientation, and attention to minute detail in each phase left me spellbound. Few workplaces exist today, where Pride of Accomplishment overtakes the pressures of scheduling. Congradulations to you all. Were I younger, I would like to work there.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-29-2012, 05:07 AM   #87
Neweller

Q
1590 6/14/2005 7:38:43 PM 6/15/2005 davidmbrady dmb993@earthlink.net Newell Rattles I'm very interested in Newell coaches but am puzzled by one thing - can these coaches really be rattle free? I have experience with other high-end coach manufacturers, specifically bluebird and prevost, and have found that these coaches are not rattle free. They are wonderful to drive on smooth highways, but over cobblestone-like surfaces the do make some noise. How is it possible that Newell's don't rattle? Are even the older "vintage" Newells this tight? On another note, is there a prefered model year or range of models that are more desireable? Thanks in advance.

David

-Bob Marley
Old 10-29-2012, 05:07 AM   #88
Neweller

Q
1592 6/15/2005 12:30:40 PM 6/16/2005 Doug Potter Doug.potter@cebridge.net Preowned Newells, through 1992 For Sale, 1986 Newell 40' 8v92TA 475HP, jake, A740, loaded nice paint. $80,000 email me at doug.potter@cebridge.net. I don't check email every day but I will respond as soon as I see your message. DFW Texas area.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-29-2012, 05:38 AM   #89
Neweller

A
1593 6/16/2005 8:51:50 PM 6/17/2005 Bob Scott thescotts@proaxis.com Newell Rattles David, when I saw your question posted I just had to respond. I hate squeeks, rattles or bangs and even wind noise when driving any vehicle. This is especially true of a high end motorhome. The lack of all these irritating noises is a major reason for driving a Newell. I have owned several brand X's as well as converting a couple of buses and it is very difficult to eliminate all these little gremlins. The folk at Newell have about as near a perfect solution as anyone in meeting the objective of a quiet coach. We currently own a 95 and previously owned an 86. Both have been very quiet. I keep telling my wife that if you hear any unusual noise, something is wrong. Doors and drawers need to be properly secured. Blinds need to be properly stowed,etc. One reason, in my opinion, why Newell is as successful as they are is the fact that they build everything from the ground up. The changes that they do make are gradual and are proven as they go along. Some of the other manufacturers introduce completely new models every year and guess who ends up proving whether all the new systems are good and work properly. If your thing is solving someone elses problems buy brand X. If you want something that's ready to use and enjoy buy a Newell. At least that's my opinion. Good luck shopping. Bob

-Bob Marley
Old 10-29-2012, 05:38 AM   #90
Neweller

A
1594 6/20/2005 7:50:39 AM 6/20/2005 davidmbrady dmb993@earthlink.net Newell w/ it's clothes off Folks,

Does anyone have a chassis pic of a Newell with glides? I'm
very intrigued by the bridge style construction and the
ability to add glides w/o compromising chassis strength.

TIA,
David Brady
'02 BlueBird LXi

-Bob Marley
Old 10-29-2012, 05:39 AM   #91
Neweller

Q
1595 6/20/2005 5:41:37 PM 6/20/2005 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Newell w/ it's clothes off To see a Newell in the buff, go to www.newellcoach.com and download the brochure.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-29-2012, 05:39 AM   #92
Neweller

A
1597 6/21/2005 8:10:53 AM 6/21/2005 cary brooks cbrooks@elkhart.net Pictures Great idea! I have been searching the web for ages to build my own collection of Newell's as they have changed. But unless they are listed for sale photos are hard to find.
A gallery of the classics would be an awesome idea!

-Bob Marley
Old 10-29-2012, 05:39 AM   #93
Neweller

A
1598 6/21/2005 12:48:14 PM 6/21/2005 Jon Kabbe jaak93@charter.net Older Newell Coaches - Costs A motor coach gives you the opportunity to choose the size vehicle you will use when your home is parked. Part of the reason I chose a Newell Coach is that I enjoy tooting around locally in a small car rather than the Suburban we used to tow the trailer.

The power train of a Newell or similar coach will be much heavier duty and more expensive to repair than that of a van or pickup tow vehicle. The best protection is to have someone knowledgeable about the power train inspect it thoroughly prior to purchase. You experience with gas engines won't apply to the big diesels. There are no guarantees after a good inspection but at least you eliminated the most knowable things.

While the systems on high end motor coaches are far more complex than a 5th wheel, I've not found that to contribute a lot to reliability compromises. Newell builds durable coach with the coach parts being readily available from many suppliers.

There are two theories regarding long term stays. One is to drive regularly and the other is to mothball the thing. My choice is to mothball it. I change the oil, check the coolant condition and then run it for a few minutes. After shutting it down I cover the engine intake, exhaust and breather pipes with a plastic garbage bag with the bags let somewhat inflated so that with temperature changes the breathing is in and out of the bag. That way no new moisture is added. I do the same with the fuel tanks. Now all I need to do before starting up is remember to remove the bags. I'm not recommending this particular approach over others. It's just what I've done to protect my investment with minimal effort and complication.

I hope this helps

-Bob Marley
Old 10-29-2012, 05:39 AM   #94
Neweller

A
1599 6/21/2005 7:27:05 PM 6/22/2005 Tuga Gaidry tugagaidry@bellsouth.net Newell Rattles David, I also hate rattles. I presently own a '93 Newell 44' and previously had an '87 Newell Classic. I have never owned any other brand but a Newell. Both coaches were very quiet, and for the most part, rattle free. Once a year I have to tighten up the screws on my front TV plywood platform. That's pretty much it! Everything else; doors, windows, drawers, & cabinet slide-outs are rock solid and do not warp or bend. The only noise you will hear is the squeaking of leather rubbing on leather when driving on very rough roads (cobblestone, brick, or Louisiana highways). Ex: The driver's seat arm rest will rub on the window treatment when on bumpy, rough roads. My coach is 13 years old with 160,000 miles and it drives like a dream. I drove a '98 Prevost Liberty, and I must say that it was a very smooth, tight, and rattle free ride. Prevost makes an excellent coach. I have not had the pleasure of driving a Blue Bird. My '87 Newell Classic was also very quite. I have only ridden in one other coach recently, and it rattled so much that the salesman had to wedge a wash cloth in the bedroom door to stop the rattling. We could hear it from the driver's seat! I could see daylight thru the slide-out! Needless to say my friend didn't buy that coach.

I don't know how Newell builds such a quite, rattle-free coach; but, I'm glad that they do! And I am glad that I own one!

-Bob Marley
Old 10-29-2012, 05:39 AM   #95
Neweller

A
1600 6/21/2005 11:40:26 PM 6/22/2005 Ken White admin@newell classic.com Pictures I am in the middle of building a website for existing Newell Coach owners where we can share pictures and information about our Newells. I currently own two classics. We are working some bugs out in our gallery program and as soon as my daughter who is my webmaster gets back from her trip we should have it available for every existing Newell Coach owner to use free of charge. I will also be offering for free an email service for anyone who owns a Newell Coach. What can I say; I love these coaches.[Editor's note: see www.newell classic.com]

-Bob Marley
Old 10-29-2012, 05:39 AM   #96
Neweller

A
1601 6/21/2005 11:56:46 PM 6/22/2005 Ken White admin@newell classic.com Older Newell Coaches - Costs Most of the parts on the older Newells are no problem to deal with. There are thousands of the Detroit engines out there for parts etc. Regarding a radiator, I had a old Kenworth W900A with a very expensive rare radiator which I needed to replace and the going rate for the radiator was $2800 which I thought was crazy. After some addtitional homework I found a reliable core supplier in California that sold me a brand new core replacement for $600 and it cost me about $200 to have the tanks removed and replaced from my old core to the new core. So, for around $800 and my labor to R&R the radiater which was easy I save some money. Anyone that is thinking of buying any older coach should know how to do some of the repairs. It makes logical sense. There are plenty of ways to save on the ownership of a Newell classic. Just make sure that you know plenty of history on the coach you end up buying and realize the value trade off.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-29-2012, 05:40 AM   #97
Neweller

A
1602 6/22/2005 12:05:02 AM 6/22/2005 Ken White admin@LuxuryCoachLifestyle.com HYDROGEN FUEL CELLS I would love to read that article and know more about the subject. I like anything that has to do with renewable energy or any other fuel saving ideas.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-29-2012, 05:40 AM   #98
Neweller

A
1604 6/22/2005 12:20:10 AM 9/29/2005 Ken White admin@LuxuryCoachLifestyle.com Diesel Engine Swap What engines are feasible to install in a late 70s Newell? I own two Newells, one with a 6V92T and another with the Cummins 555. I would love to swap out the 555 for a newer in-line 6 cyl. diesel. I have access for a reasonable price brand to new motorhome chassis with Cummins or Cat engines. These are complete chassis for building new motorhomes. They come with all running gear and electrical components. Anyone taken on this type of swap?

-Bob Marley
Old 10-29-2012, 05:40 AM   #99
Neweller

Q
1606 6/25/2005 7:30:47 AM 6/25/2005 Philip Zerwas philipzerwas@hotmail.com 1981 Newell For Sale 1981 36 foot Newell Coach - Excellent running 903 Cummins turbo diesel and 643 MT Allison 5 speed automatic transmission with 95,000 miles. Jake Brakes, cruise control and block heaters (oil and water). 12.5 Kohler diesel generator with 3000 hrs. Tires have less than 5,000 miles. All systems checked and serviced in May 2005.

Interior: Newer Norcold refrig/freezer and newer Norcold freezer/fridge in basement. Excellent floor plan with walk thru bathroom (closes off to both bedroom and living area) with center isle queen size bed, 2 closets and lots of storage everywhere, stereo system, 2 color TVユs, microwave, 4 burner LP stove with LP oven. Double sink, drinking water filter, central vacuum system, 6 way power Flexsteel driver seat, queen size pullout couch-bed, safe (works - have combination), 2 RT A/C units (rear unit is heater too) 3 gas, 3 electric and 3 off engine furnaces.

Capacities: 49 gallon LP, 224 gallon + 56 reserve diesel tank, 116 gal water and 119 gal holding tank, 10 gallon LP water heater.

Starts with the greatest of ease and everything works. Solid coach at a reasonable price ($47,000). Additional photos at www.flickr.com/photos/pzerwas

-Bob Marley
Old 10-29-2012, 05:40 AM   #100
Neweller

Q
1607 6/25/2005 7:37:21 PM 7/16/2005 Bob Fetters jf3brand@idcomm.com Newell Rattles We too have a 93 Newell (38')and on a trip to visit Bent's Fort we encountered a malfunction of our front axle air ride level valve. The front end went to system pressure and the ride went from smooth as glass to very buckboardish. My mother-in-law refers to our '86 Sportscoach as a bucket of bolts (actually quite quiet as motorhomes go) but admittedly no where near as quiet as our Newell. Even with the jackrabbit ride, we remained remarkably free of rattles. And that was without the blinds stowed (my mother-in-law wants them up to see, but only part way) and the grandkids have to have their's down with a window open inspite of the air conditioning. In my opinion it just does not get any better than a Newell. ~~~ As an aside, we encountered a U.S. Park Service employee at Bent's Fort who it turns out is the son of Newell Motor Coach founder L. K. Newell. We had an enjoyable conversation with the younger Mr. Newell about his father and mother as well as Newell Motor Coaches. If you travel near the area stop and look him up.

-Bob Marley