Tech Talk Archives 12 - Page 6 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Go Back   Luxury Coach Lifestyles > Forum Archives - closed > Archive Three
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Log in Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2012, 05:40 AM   #101
Neweller

A
1608 6/29/2005 11:47:42 AM 7/16/2005 Bob Brandt brandt@dtnspeed.net Pictures My wife and I are the fourth owners of a 1974 coach. We are updating inside but leaving the exterior in its pristine classic look. I am excited about your website and as soon as I conquer this confuser (computer), I'll share some photos. Good Luck.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:41 AM   #102
Neweller

A
1609 6/30/2005 12:21:06 AM 7/16/2005 Tim Durham timdur@cox.net Newell Rattles David, the only thing I am aware of that Newell states in regards to rattles is found in their current brochure on page 8 under "Interior Excellence." "The beautifully contoured interior cabinetry is specially secured from floor to ceiling to prevent squeaks & rattles for the life of the coach." I think that we need to put some things in perspective. I own a 2000 Newell 45', two slides, with 140,000 miles. I am the second owner of this coach, but this is my first Newell and I couldn't be happier with it. I drove many miles in "high-end" bus conversions from all the major converters over all types of road surfaces. They all rattled, or squeaked, or popped, or made some kind of noise at some point - whether they were new or used. Then I drove and bought a Newell. I previously owned a 33' Fleetwood Pace-Arrow that would shake you until your stomach was upset.

If you find a coach that doesn't make some kind of noise when driven over a "cobblestone-like surface," it's a first for the industry. It is my opinion that the older "vintage" Newell's could not be as tight as the newer models, and a newer coach might be "more desirable" as it would most likely tend to have less rattles or other noises. However, think about all of the components in the coach. The engine, transmission, axles, wheels, and tires produce some vibration. The cabinetry and the items you put in those cabinets will make some kind of noise at some point. That short list only barely scratches the surface of the components that make up the coach. If you've never seen a coach being built, you should go see how a Newell is fabricated.

The Newell is a very quiet coach and as Bob pointed out, "... it is very difficult to eliminate all these little gremlins." My 10 year old house sits on a solid concrete foundation, but if you turned off the water, gas, and electricity so that nothing is running, it still pops and makes some noises at times because the earth underneath it moves. If you put wheels under my house and drove it down the highway at 70 miles per hour, it would fall apart. The Newell or any other coach becomes your house on wheels. At some point, you will have a minor noise to deal with. Mine has a few noises at times, but is a very quiet coach. When I encounter a noise or rattle, I find it and fix it. I believe this is true of any motorcoach or motorhome. This is my personal opinion and I believe you can't go wrong with a Newell. I hope this helps. Tim.

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 10-29-2012, 05:41 AM   #103
Neweller

A
1610 7/1/2005 2:07:20 AM 7/16/2005 Cam sickjohnson@hotmail.com Newell P-2000i I see there is a new Model, "Newell P-2000i" available today. I was intrested in finding out when information on the Newell P-2000i will be availble on the website? I am also wishing to maybe see a video clip. Keep up the impressive work!!! Cam

-Bob Marley
Old 10-29-2012, 05:41 AM   #104
Neweller

Q
1613 7/5/2005 4:53:43 AM 7/16/2005 GEORGE TOWELL GLTOWELL@MSN.COM Turning Radius WHAT IS THE TURNING RADIUS OF A 40 FT. SINGLE AXEL 1991 NEWELL. I HAVE COACH #260 AND IT TAKES QUITE A BIT OF ROOM. IS THEIR SOMETHING I CAN DO TO SHORTEN THE TURNING RADIUS?

-Bob Marley
Old 10-29-2012, 05:41 AM   #105
Neweller

A
1617 7/6/2005 10:00:56 AM 7/16/2005 Don Koenig donkoenig@juno.com Brake shoes & shocks How many miles should one expect to get on brake shoes & shocks when driving a 1984 40'Newell classic coach? What was the original manufacturer of the shocks? Do the front brake shoes wear out first? Can the rear shocks be changed without removing the brake drum? (Looks tight) THANKS DON

-Bob Marley
Old 10-29-2012, 05:41 AM   #106
Neweller

Q
1619 7/7/2005 8:45:00 PM 7/16/2005 Clay G. thistlepuss@yahoo.com Wanted: 70's, early 80's, coach I'm looking for a 70's, or early 80's Newell coach (diesel) in excellent condition....

-Bob Marley
Old 10-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #107
Neweller

Q
1620 7/8/2005 7:10:43 PM 7/16/2005 Mike & Jean Mertz jeanmertz@netscape.net Noisy Air Conditioner Our unit is a 2001 with the air conditioners located underneath. This is our first Newell. The front air is exceptionally loud (in our opinion). When it comes on we have a hard time hearing the tv. Is this normal?

-Bob Marley
Old 10-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #108
Neweller

Q
1621 7/11/2005 8:02:58 AM 7/16/2005 Alan & Becky Jones flywithbeckalan@msn.com '86 Newell Generator Compartment door The 4 latches on the generator compartment need to be replaced and the original latch maker doesn't exist anymore. Does anyone know a latch (4) that would be a replacement without doing body work and a new skin. Thanks

-Bob Marley
Old 10-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #109
Neweller

Q
1622 7/13/2005 7:32:53 AM 7/16/2005 Steve Shepard drshep1@bellsouth.net HYDROGEN FUEL CELLS A hydrogen fuel cell is still far off. In ordeer to power a motor home it will be necessary to develep the electric motors and the transmission system to go with them. This is going to be a great problem. Also the hydrogen economy has to be developed so a ready supply of hydrogen is available to the consuming public. It would be great if it were readily available.
The current Newell powerplants are among the best and most efficient units available.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #110
Neweller

A
1624 7/16/2005 8:46:29 AM 7/16/2005 Rich Farr toptin@cox.net Older Newell Coaches - Costs Cathy - We have a 1979 Newell 38 foot that have owned for 5 years. We bought it in excellent shape and keep it up. It lives inside and have had almost no actual problems. I do like to tinker and stay ahead of the maintenance curve however, so keep it serviced; also did major service on the generator; new brakes; repaired 3 awnings; new tires; etc. Owner/s should be capable of service type work and/or locate a good mechanic shop with reasonable prices. The older coaches are non computerized and much easier/cheaper to work on. It is therapy for me to polish and do light maintenance. We hope to upgrade to a 1988/89 Newell in next year or so(last of the classic models). We travel regularly with friends who have new 5th wheel with 3 slide outs. Tow vehicle is 1 ton Ford diesel. 5th wheel is new/fancy, but we all spend most time in the Newell at the campsites. Air cond works much better and it is simply a superior RV.
Send an email if would like more rhetoric\humor..

-Bob Marley
Old 10-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #111
Neweller

A
1625 7/16/2005 9:25:55 AM 7/16/2005 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Diesel Engine Swap Diesel powered Newells were relatively compact V6 or V8 engines until the introduction of the Series 60 Detroit Diesel in 1995. As such, these engines were considerably shorter in length, and providing room for a rear-mounted radiator. To accommodate the longer straight 6 Series 60, the radiator was moved to the side. While it would not be impossible to retrofit a more modern in-line 6 into a coach originally built with a V-type engine, the modifications required would be extensive and most likely not cost justified. A less expensive (still not "cheap") alternative would be to retrofit a max-power version of the 6V92 Detroit (used or remanufactured are the only available 6Vs). However, this would still require a significant upgrade to the cooling system as well as a higher capacity transmission if going from an engine in the 200 hp range. Perhaps a trade to a later model coach would be the most economical approach, particularly considering that the cost of an engine retrofit on an older coach would very likely not enhance the resale value nearly as much as the costs involved.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #112
Neweller

A
1626 7/16/2005 9:37:29 AM 7/16/2005 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Newell P-2000i A rendering of the new P-2000i is on the home page of the Newell website. The first P-2000i is undergoing final completion as of this moment. We expect to be able to complete the coach, then do the photography and post the material to the website within 30 days. For clarification: the P-2000i is an exterior update, with major modifications to the body from the front axle forward. The design and engineering was done on contract with Porsche Engineering, and we were extremely pleased with all aspects of Porsche's contribution to this project. The interior, other than the enhanced visability out the front one-piece windshield, was not involved in the project, and in fact, evolves continually, changing from coach to coach based on each customer's preferences and special requests. The P-2000i completes the exterior update begun with the introduction of the new styling of the rear cap and roof last year.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #113
Neweller

A
1627 7/16/2005 4:05:52 PM 7/16/2005 Joyce D'Hondt kayakusa@yahoo.com Older Newell Coaches - Costs Does anyone know the ballpark price of repairing dash air conditioners? Are they really needed for over the road hauling?
This is an older Newell and seems in good condition except for the air.
Thanks.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #114
Neweller

A
1628 7/16/2005 8:20:11 PM 7/19/2005 john leuenberger jeleuen@cox.net Older Newell Coaches - Costs Probably too expensive to justify repairing engine a/c when one can run the diesel gen for less than 1 gallon per hr to power both roof a/c's. Plus it's good for the generator to give it some use. If the coach is over 15 yrs old, probably needs pretty much everything starting with the compressor. My son's '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee needed $1500 for this repair. Probably costs at least twice as much for the bus.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #115
Neweller

A
1629 7/16/2005 11:06:41 PM 7/19/2005 Don Swartzbaugh mownlawns@yahoo.com Preowned Newells, through 1992 1992 newell 8v92 excellent cond. low miles white with blue stripes new tires always serviced,to many extras $150,000 obo.or trade ? call 562 577-8302 or email mownlawns@yahoo.com

-Bob Marley
Old 10-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #116
Neweller

A
1630 7/18/2005 5:00:52 PM 7/19/2005 Marilyn mward@fhtm.us Checking VIN # for Newell Diesel Pushers Can anyone tell me how to check out a VIN # on internet. My brother is looking at a 97, 45' Diesel Pusher and would like to check it out.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #117
Neweller

Q
1631 7/19/2005 1:08:59 PM 7/19/2005 Mike Donahue Mikydon@aol.com I'm looking at a 76 Newell I am looking at a 76 Newell with a blown Cummins 555. What do you suggest I put in there? I am looking at a Detroit V6 92. I'm not sure what to do. Will the radiator have to be replaced?

-Bob Marley
Old 10-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #118
Neweller

Q
1632 7/19/2005 4:53:35 PM 7/19/2005 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com I'm looking at a 76 Newell Installation of a Detroit Diesel 6V92 engine would require extensive modifications, including an upgraded transmission and a higher capacity cooling system. A successful conversion is possible, but it will require skillful planning and installation, and this would be an expensive repower, particularly compared to the value of a 30-year old coach. The expense of the repower could easily exceed the value of the coach after completion. A rebuilt or used Cummins 555 or Caterpillar 3208 would reduce the cost considerably. But we recommend that as you evaluate your alternatives, you compare the expected cost of each to the value of the coach upon completion.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #119
Neweller

A
1633 7/22/2005 10:13:55 AM 7/27/2005 Bill Bartels bartels@bellnet.ca WANTED 1990-91 Newell, must be like new, perfer single axle 38ft. or 40ft. tandem. Cell 905-971-9738

-Bob Marley
Old 10-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #120
Neweller

Q
1634 7/25/2005 10:36:50 AM 7/27/2005 JWeBJamin@cox.net 1981 Newell For Sale do you have interior pics and is bus still for sale?

-Bob Marley