Ems - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
cdat

Default Ems

Since I've had a chance to read and review the documentation that came with our new to us 91 Newell, I to say I'm a little stunned at the quality of the components, ie: inverter, charger, etc. I've never had this level of equipment to play with, and try to understand. That said, with the built in EMS do I still need to run a surge protector? How many of you feel the need to run a surge protector ahead of the EMS.

Thanks
John

cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
MrE

Hate to be trepidatious, but read the product documentation that came with a 1991 computer. Check out this post for an idea of what you should have to protect your coach. http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...mp-ground.html

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:04 AM   #3
WessH345

I would definitely suggest going with either a hanging surge protector or if you have plently of room, hardwire one in. I have used both types over the past few years. I have owned RVs with both SurgeGuard and Progressive Industries. I believe the Hardwired units are of better quality and I never had a problem with either brand.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
Texas Pete

There are a lot of Newell's as with many other dated coaches that don't have built in surge protectors. My current coach came with one and my previous Wanderlodge had not. I used a pole mount type or hanging is another term and it worked well for a number of years until my coach was involved in a big storm while at an rv park camping site hooked to 50 amp power. This unit got fried and so did many others with and without surge protectors. Those without appeared to have received much more damage.

In everything I have done. I discovered, the only person who limits you is yourself.
Texas Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:33 AM   #5
Neweller

Here are a couple of pictures of ones folks are currently using:

The Smart Surge 240V/50A provides 5-mode, 1650 joules, and 45,000 amp surge current rating. The built in surge status indicator notes the condition of the surge protector.

Additionally, the dual line circuit tester checks for: Reverse Polarity, Open Neutral and Open Ground prior to use. Sleek, compact, portable design makes it easy to use.

No installation required. Designed for outdoor use. This is the most economical safe way to go:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SSP50new.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	3234Available HERE: Progressive Industries SSP50 Smart Surge

Or you can go with this hardwired model with inside remote by Progressive Industries Inc.. The better much more expensive option:

Click image for larger version

Name:	EMS_HW50C.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	3235Available HERE: Progressive Industries EMSHW50C Surge Protector

High/Low Voltage Protection:

Whenever AC power falls below 104 volts, or rises above 132 volts, the EMS automatically shuts down power to the RV. The EMS will monitor the power and once the AC power rises above 104 volts, or below the 132 volt level, the time delay indicator flashes for the preset time and then automatically restores power to the RV.

Time Delay for A/C Compressor:

If the AC power is interrupted, or the EMS detects a fault condition, the built-in time delay is activated. There are tow settings on the EMS: one is 136 seconds (02:16), and the other is 15 seconds. Consult your air conditioner manual to see if it has a time delay built in. If so, use the 15 second delay, if not; use the 136 second delay. The factory setting is 15 seconds.

5-Mode Surge Protection:

This feature provides full surge protection L-N, L-N, L-G, L-L and N-G. Total Joule rating is 3,580, 88,000A surge current. Response time of <1 nano second.

Surge Indicator:

In the event of a power surge, and the surge protector circuit is damaged within the EMS, L-N or L-G, the digital display error code will read E-10. This indicates the EMS needs to be serviced.

Reverse Polarity Protection:

If AC power is a reverse polarity condition, the EMS will not allow power to the RV and the error code will read E-1.

Open Neutral Protection:

If AC power has an open neutral condition, the display will not light, and the EMS will not allow power to the RV.

Open Ground Protection:

If AC power has an open ground condition, the EMS will read an error code of E-2 and power will not be allowed to the RV.

AC Frequency Protection:

If AC power frequency deviates +/- 9 hertz from 60 cycles per second, the EMS will shut down power. An error code of E-7 will be displayed when the frequency is high; and an error code will be displayed when frequency is low.

Accidental 240V Protection:

If 240 volts is detected when plugging into AC power, the EMS will NOT allow power to the RV. If this condition occurs while power is applied to the RV, the EMS shuts off power instantly. The display will read the voltage and E-3 for the error. (NEVER BYPASS THE EMS WHEN THIS OCCURS.)

Remote Display:

Continuously scrolls all of the AC power information, including voltage, current, frequency, error codes and previous errors. Each reading is displayed for two (2) seconds.

Previous Error Code:

This feature tells the user what the previous error was and why power was interrupted to the RV. To read a previous error code, put a "P" in front of the "E" code. This is only displayed if an actual error occurs. The error is deleted when power is disconnected from the EMS.

Bypass:

This switch is located on the remote panel, and allows the user to bypass the computer circuit in the EMS in the event of computer failure, thus allowing AC power into the RV. This does not disable the surge protection portion of the EMS; however, all other features are disabled.

Modular Design:

Replacement parts are designed for simple plug and play, making repairs extremely user friendly.

Microprocessor Controlled:

The computer is driven by a state-of-the-art microprocessor that is programmed with software to drive the entire EMS.
[TABLE]
<tbody>[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: blank"][/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:00 AM   #6
cdat

Really appreciate all the info, think we will go with a hanging surge protector for right now.

John
cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

I have been using a hanging surge protector, but recently noticed that there is a surge breaker in the breaker box. The breaker cannot be reset, but has to be replaced, which I did. Question, with the surge breaker, do I still need to use the hanging surge protector?

2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote