Air System Leaks - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2007, 05:32 AM   #1
fulltiming

Default Air System Leaks

I was visiting the Newell Service Center last week having annual maintenance performed. One of the major items on my to do list was locating and eliminating a significant air leak. I thought that the potential sources they checked and what they found might be of interest.

They started by checking the connections and fittings at the leveling control valves (six packs) under the front of the coach and in the engine compartment. This resulted in locating two leaks at fittings in the front six pack that controls the front suspension during leveling. These were repaired and the search continued. A small leak was found at the air chuck in the engine compartment and this fitting replaced. My air brake systems had begun to leak down with the supply system so the check valves were removed and both check valves replaced. The continued search included the valves for the travel mode for the air leveling system and the air slide in one of the bays, the air operated dump valve, the generator air slide and the air slide over the stairwell. These locations did not seem to display additional sources of leaks. All of the air brake lines and fittings were checked and a couple of small leaks at the fittings were found and repaired. The search then went inside the dash. Another small leak was located and repaired in the fitting to the Supply Air gauge on the dash. The vacuum pot, air brake and emergency brake release were checked without locating additional leaks. The major leak was found in the left rear travel valve. It was not leaking at a fitting but through a crack in the side of the valve. The leak was severe enough that there were no bubbles showing when the valve was sprayed because it was literally blowing the water away from the valve. Replacing the cracked travel valve was the major key to success but each leak that was repaired was playing a role in the loss of air.

The success of Newell's efforts is a system that holds air much better than when I purchased it used 18 months ago and is much safer with the sticking check valves replaced. Locating air leaks is a time consuming process and Newell handled the job with the skill and determination that they always display.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote