Detroit Diesel Series 60 Tuners - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
encantotom

Default Detroit Diesel Series 60 Tuners

hi gang,

i have an f350 powerstroke. i have used tuner chips for years to get increased hp and torque. i have a bullydog 4 bank chip in it now. it is amazing.

bullydog, illinois dyno and a few others sell similar tuner modules for the series 60. with the one in my truck, i get increased hp, increased mileage, increased torque on the moderate settings (moderate meaning +10% hp).

i drive with my truck on the setting that gives +50hp all the time and it gets about 1-2mpg more. at +100hp, it is a hot rod and i can "smoke" most cars. if you have one you know what i mean by smoke...

illinois dyno is saying that with up to +80hp on the series 60 there are no EGT issues and with the moderate settings increased mileage.

have any of you used or played with the tuners for the series 60?

i used to manage the team that did fords EEC4 engine control module. i have it in my genes to not leave things alone.

they are pricey....between $1600 and $2800.

tom the geek.

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
Richard and Rhonda

Tom,

You want to go over to this site and search around. There are a lot of people out there hot rodding Series 60 engines.

http://www.dieselenginetrader.com/di...es.cfm?catid=9

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
voyager1

Default re detroit series 60 tuners

Quote:
Originally Posted by encantotom View Post
hi gang,

i have an f350 powerstroke. i have used tuner chips for years to get increased hp and torque. i have a bullydog 4 bank chip in it now. it is amazing.

bullydog, illinois dyno and a few others sell similar tuner modules for the series 60. with the one in my truck, i get increased hp, increased mileage, increased torque on the moderate settings (moderate meaning +10% hp).

i drive with my truck on the setting that gives +50hp all the time and it gets about 1-2mpg more. at +100hp, it is a hot rod and i can "smoke" most cars. if you have one you know what i mean by smoke...

illinois dyno is saying that with up to +80hp on the series 60 there are no EGT issues and with the moderate settings increased mileage.

have any of you used or played with the tuners for the series 60?

i used to manage the team that did fords EEC4 engine control module. i have it in my genes to not leave things alone.

they are pricey....between $1600 and $2800.

tom the geek.
------------------------------

Tom - re Detroit Series 60 tuners:

Pittsburgh Power has a device that can add mucho hp & torque to your Series 60.

Up to 225 additional horsepower and up to 500 additional ft/lbs of torque, an average of 0.3 MPG improvement and improved engine response all on demand with a turn of the dial - they call it the Pittsburgh PowerBox.

See:

http://www.pittsburghpower.com...73ce6d9f96759cef91de

http://www.pittsburghpower.com...618ddade1b846f161119

http://www.pittsburghpower.com...73ce6d9f96759cef91de

http://www.pittsburghpower.com...618ddade1b846f161119
voyager1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:38 AM   #4
folivier

How about our 8v92s?
Ok, ok, I'll go back to sleep now....
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
paultracy3

has anyone on the forum ever used or had one of these tuners ? i am very interested but would like to hear some feedback on power gain , temp gain ?
paultracy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
encantotom

paul,i have asked that on the allison tranny forum and the advice i got was not to do anything. i looked a bit more into it and have seen there are certainly alot of options. gee, why dont you try it for us?

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
paultracy3

are you saying the tranny cant hold the extra power and torque ??? most people i have seen with this box are big rig drivers with 13/15/18 speed manual . show me some knowledge ....
Old 07-22-2012, 12:47 AM   #8
larryweikart

My service center always says the same thing when I ask about tuners, chips, additives, etc. Anything to do with the series 60 brings the same response. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, along with Why? I'm getting close to 300,000 miles pulling a 25,000# trailer with very few issues. Of course, there were times while climbing long 6% or better hills when I wished I had more. But thats so rare. Are you planning on running this at Indy, Paul?
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:20 AM   #9
paultracy3

Nah , im just a performace freak . My last bus was a 99 newell . Sold it at 307k miles and i never had a problem other than a couple alternators and ac pump . I have taled to many truck drivers that were over the 1000000 mile mark without problems
Old 07-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
Richard and Rhonda

Paul,

The weak link is the transmission. As you have said many truckers are turning the 60 way up with no problems. However, none of them are running Allison auto transmissions. When the 60's dried up and Newell went to the higher HP and torque alternatives they first fitted them with the ZF tranny or detuned the motor if fitted with an Allison.

Who knows if you would have transmission problems? You might ask Newell what they learned in later years about Allisons and the higher torque engines.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
The Newell

Bully Dog manufactures a tuner called the bully dog big rig cost is 2800.0

Here are the specs of the tuner.

Detroit Bully Dog Big Rig Power Pup

The Detroit Big Rig Power Pup Downloader is a programmer/tuner that downloads horsepower and economy enhancing software into ‘98-’07 Detroit Diesel DDEC IV & DDEC V engines (it does not yet work on ‘08 vehicles with a diesel particulate filter or on DDEC VI engines).

Due to tremendous improvements in fuel economy, Bully Dog's Detroit Big Rig Power Pup pays for itself in a matter of a few months and continues to SAVE drivers and fleets THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS even within the first year of using the product.

The Detroit Big Rig Power Pup downloader was designed with one goal in mind - to add bottom line profits through lower fuel consumption in big rig trucks utilizing the Detroit Diese Series 60 engines with DDEC IV and DDEC V ECMs. Whether you are an owner/operator, have a fleet of thousands of trucks or somewhere in between these downloaders have been designed for you.
Detroit Big Rig Downloader Applications

The Detroit Big Rig Downloader currently works on the following vehicles:

Detroit Series 60 DDEC IV ECM '98-'05
Detroit Series 60 DDEC V ECM '01-'07

Bully Dog Power Pup Downloader Features:

Improved Fuel Economy
The main benefit provided by the Power Pup is improved fuel economy. This product carries the highest improvements in fuel economy available in the aftermarket for any Class 8 truck.

More Power
Depending on the original horsepower/torque rating of the engine this software adds between 40-75 rear wheel horsepower, which equates to a 15% gain in horsepower across all Detroit Diesel engines.

Internet Updateable
The Power Pup can easily be updated online to account for new Power Pup features, new vehicle applications, and technical support issues. Our online updating program, The Update Agent, makes this fast, easy and convenient. Internet Updates cannot be used to facilitate vehicle transfers.

No Interference with Stock Settings
The Power Pup does not affect any factory specialty settings such as Load Based Speed Control, Gear Down Protection, Idol Control, Rev limiters, or Speed Governors.

Bully Dog enhances engine performance by:

Optimizing Engine Settings across lug curve
Optimizing Fuel Pressure across lug curve
Optimizing Fuel Pulse across lug curve
Reducing Overall Fuel intake
Keeping EGTs in safe range
Remaining in Safe Specified Emission Ranges
More Efficient Burn within the Cylinder
Allowing drivers to maintain gears on grades
Producing less burnoffs with DPF systems

How does the Power Pup work:

Install the Power Pup
The Power Pup plugs into the Data port beneath your steering column.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #12
paultracy3

Click image for larger version

Name:	s1_1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	2528talked to the owner of pittsburgh power last week , turns out he's a old club racer from the mid west and loves racing and thats what led him into the diesel performance business . We worked a little trade out at indy superweek for signage on the car and a couple vip passes to the race for product . i will keep you updated on how things work with the power tunner , and faast fuel separator .
Old 07-31-2012, 07:42 PM   #13
larryweikart

Paul, when you get the chance, could you ask if it would work on my series 60 (94 coach, don't know about engine,year) Thank You (currently sitting at Mid-Ohio race track with some of your old buddies)

thanks

1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote