1982 Newell with DD 6V92TA Engine Oil pressure - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
Paul Wilbert

Default 1982 Newell with DD 6V92TA Engine Oil pressure

I Need help,

I have an 82 Newell Coach with a 6V92TA & allison trans. We've owned our newell for 3.5 years now and thought I was a lone when having to repair our newell until another owner gave us this website adrress. When I first got the coach the oil pressure ran about 15lbs @ Idle and 45 to 50 lbs @ hiway speeds. I run Rotella 40wt oil. I noticed last year my oil pressure increased to about 25 lbs @ idle and 65 to 70 lbs Hiway speed. This past sunday as I was driving Hiway speed I almost freaked out the oil pressure was about 85 lbs. Anyone have any Idea. I'm going to change the oil & filters to see what happens and besides its time. I change it once a year I drive about 6500 to 8500 miles per year. Also the first 3 years the engine was clean no noticable oil leaks but the last 6 months the engine has oil leaks.

Thanks,

Paul Wilbert

Paul Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
speedingsport

Do you have a gauge at your engine? If so do they match? If you don't I'd suggest a gauge on the engine to check pressure.

speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
prairieschooner

Paul make sure that the Oil you use is Approved for a 2 Stroke! I use DELO 100 but others are using ROTELLA. Please make sure that the Oil is Approved for a Two Stroke Diesel!!! The Oil is different......................
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
77newell

Paul: I agree with getting a mechanical gauge back at the engine. My engine and instrument panel pressures are about 12psi different, sometime a bit more. When you say your engine leaks more oil, do you know where it is leaking from, is it from places that are under direct oil pressure or from places that are experience crankcase pressure. If it is the latter it could be that you have a blocked breather. I will be interested to know what difference changing oil and filters makes. Unless the filter was completely blocked to the point that the bypass in the filter was triggered I'm guessing the change won't make any difference. Even then I can't see how that would match the symptoms of gradually rising oil pressure. Unless the engine is showing other signs of distress and it's not the breather, then it may be that the oil pump pressure control valve has gotten stuck somehow, that is rare but it happens.

jon
77 coach with 6V92T
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
77newell

One additional comment about oil. After extensive research I'm choosing to use full synthetic Rotella in my 2-stroke Detroit Diesel. As I understand the problem, multi-viscosity oils have suffered from low shear viscosity compared to the approved 2-stroke oils. It seems the the full synthetic Rotella meets the shear viscosity requirements of Detroit Diesel while the dino version multi-viscosity Rotella does not. The synthetic version will never be approved for 2-stroke service since the certifying agency has lost the engine (a 6V92) used in the certification process and a bulletin has been issued declaring the end of certifying oils for this service.

Each of us needs to figure out what oil we are comfortable with and this just happens to be my choice. Hopefully the thinking behind my choice will be helpful.

Jon
77 coach with civic toad
Old 09-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
voyager1

Helpful information on oil for your coach:

Detroit Diesel 2 Cycle 2 Stroke Engine operating Oil Tips

http://truckroadservice.com/barth_at...AnalysisII.pdf

All good wishes,

voyager1

-----------------------------
voyager1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
Gone Busing

Jon how long have you been running this synthetic Rotella? Is this a straight weight or multi-vescosity? I would like to know more. Thanks.....

Comparing Luxury Motor Coaches
Gone Busing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
77newell

Jay: the synthetic Rotella is mult-grade and I've been using if for about 15,000 miles. I had the engine overhauled recently and the mechanic stated that the engine showed lots of miles but nothing else unusual. The engine replaced a Cummins 555 that was originally in the coach and was obviously a very used one. The mechanic told me that based upon what he had seen of the engine he saw no reason to change my oil type, but as the saying goes he could be wrong.

jon
77 coach, civic toad
2007 civic toad
Old 09-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
77newell

Voyager1: I've seen and read Tejas's stuff and used their experience with sulphated ash levels as part of my research into alternatives. Rotella synthetic meets the criteria. Add to that the shear viscosity capabilities of the Rotella and I'm comfortable with my choice. All I'm doing is sharing my thinking and not making a recommendation for anyone else. The oil issue has become ambiguous since there is no operational testing being done for 2-stroke oils and there is no way to know for sure that any current oils meet the the 2-stroke standard. All I did was take the specifications for the approved oil and find a more readily available alternative that met them. Others may not think that is sufficient. I have no problem with others' choices, we each are making a bet with our choice as to how it will turn out.

jon
77 coach

2007 civic toad