Distilled Water For Wet Cell RV Batteries - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
GypsyCliff

Exclamation Distilled Water For Wet Cell RV Batteries

Ok fellas,

So, I go to the auto parts store to get new wiper blades for the coach just in case; got 'em.

The salesman noticed that I had distilled water on my list so I asked him if they had it so we could put it in our batteries. He told me that the new (for the last 10 years) wet cell batteries should be tapped off with sulfuric acid instead of distilled water. So, I bought a container name "Battery Acid Water"; then promptly went to the grocery store and bought distilled water. I saved the receipt so that I could return the container of sulfuric acid. BTW, the box says it's sulfuric acid and water.

I'm not sure it's worth the $8.95 I paid for it or if it's really any better. The salesman's stated that by adding distilled water you dilute the electrolytes.

Need some advice,

Cliff

1976 Newell Coach W/Cummins Engine
GypsyCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:44 PM   #2
NewellCrazy

Every battery manufacturer has always recommended topping the batteries with distilled water only.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
prairieschooner

Agreed take the acid back. When the Batteries are being Charged they do what is called Gassing and water is gassed off leaving the acid behind. Distilled Water is still recommended to help keep unwanted minerals out of the cells. Here is a copy of a search and the link to the entire page; Charging Information For Lead Acid Batteries

Watering

Watering is the single most important step in maintaining a flooded lead acid battery, a requirement that is all to often neglected. The frequency of watering depends on usage, charge method and operating temperature. A new battery should be checked every few weeks to determine the watering requirement. This prevents the electrolyte from falling below the plates. Avoid exposed plates at all times, as this will sustain damage, leading to reduced capacity and lower performance.
Exposed plates will sustain damage, leading to reduced capacity and lower performance. If the plates are exposed, immediately fill the battery with distilled or de-ionized water to cover the plates, and then apply a charge. Do not fill to the correct level before charging as this could cause an overflow during charging. Always top up to the desired level after charging. Never add electrolyte as this upsets the specific gravity and induces rapid corrosion. Watering systems eliminate low electrolyte levels by automatically adding the right amount of water.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
The Newell

The electrolytes don't boil out, just the water. I also agree, Take it back.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
Dom Ferris

When the water is subjected to the charging process it will become acid.

Dom & Fay Ferris

Logan,IA
Dom Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
Ron in South Dakota

Distilled water you get at the supermarket,, Usually near the Tide and Clorox but may be in the bottled water isle now days.

When a flooded wet cell is shipped it is usually shipped in a state that is called "Dry Charged" this means the battery itself contains no liquid (IS DRY) and the diluted Sulfuric Acid is shipped in a normally plastic bottle in the box with the battery.