2014 models coming soon ? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
lbrachfe

Default 2014 models coming soon ?

Can anyone explain with good reason why Newell is selling 2013 models now when we are onlt two weeks into 2012 ? Why wouldn't these 2 new coaches be 2012 since they were actually built in 2011 ?

lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:16 AM   #2
fulltiming

As with cars, many are built in a previous year. Where auto manufacturers take less than an hour to assemble a car, it takes months to manufacture a Newell so they tend to move the start of the 'production year' earlier than car manufacturers. Most auto companies start building up inventory for the year 4-5 months in advance and start selling the 'new year model' in September of the previous year although some of those may have been made in July. Newells frequently begin the new model year with models that are available in March of the previous year. The 2011 model which had a number styling and mechanical changes was put into production to allow the first deliveries by January 2010. RV Business quoted Boyd Vanover (Vice President, Engineering for Newell) “We’re jumping the gun by only two months where we typically are,” he said.

Since Newell builds their own chassis this keeps them more compatible with Prevost converters who frequently build a coach on a chassis that actually a model year older than the model year assigned to the conversion.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
Ground Control

Larry, that is a question I use to ask too. It's bad enough that auto manufacturers like to call any model year made the ninth month and later, the next model year. Then, RV manufacturers go back over a year? Doesn't seem ethical, but it is standard in the industry. Which means if you buy a new Newell, it will feel newer that much longer. lol
Old 08-05-2012, 02:19 AM   #4
lbrachfe

Good point Bernie...lol
Old 08-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
tuga

I was always under the impression that any coach that rolls off of the line at Newell on January 2nd or later is the next year's model. I guess Newell has to project when the coach will be completed. I think it takes about 4 months to complete a Newell (I stand corrected if anyone knows differently). So the affected coaches are a small portion of each year's production.

I can see how some folks would be unhappy if their coach is considered another year or two older due to the newest Newell being called a 2014.

But, that's the way it is.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
lbrachfe

I recieved a letter from Newell back in May indicating that new orders could be filled by Fall and if not mistaken would be 2014's.....
Old 08-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
Ground Control

It is amazing to be even talking about a 2014 coach when we are only halfway through 2012. And Newell takes orders as Larry stated in May, delivers in Fall and you have a 2014. My next question would be, how far are they sold into the 2014 models?