Yokohama Tires - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
jmacstack

Default Yokohama Tires

Hello Everyone, I am just about to put 8 new(current year) tires on my coach as all of them are over 5 years old. I am looking at Yokohama's. Since I only run in the summer months I don't see the sense in purchasing a more expensive tire since I will replacing them in another 5 years due to age not wear. My cost is $400/tire with new valve stems. I was wondering if you had any thoughts on the quality of these tires or have any other suggestions. Michelin's are running around $600/tire. Thanks, Jennifer

1987 Newell, 40ft #143
DD 8V92 Silver
2010 Cannondale Tandem
No Name Tandem Mtn Bike
1973 Triumph GT6
2012 AWD 4-door Mini-Cooper
3 Ford Trucks
Just another fanatical motorhead
jmacstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
chockwald

Check out Cooper Roadmasters.....I think I paid $350 per tire installed and balanced.

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
prairieschooner

Jenifer,
My advice has always been to buy the best tire that you feel you can afford. I have seen what a tire failure (blow-out) can do to the suspension, and body of our coaches. I posted this question earlier and had numerous opinions. Most of the owners like Goodyear, Michelin and BF Goodrich. I chose Goodyear, but there are numerous different types of tires that each manufacturer sells for the different positions and needs, I chose Steer Tires.
I am sure that there are others like Clarke that are happy with theirs as well. Tires are always a personal opinion. Here is a link to a previous discussion;
http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/s...hlight=11r24.5
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
2dogs

Jennifer, I have been running yokohama's for a couple years and love them just put on a new set of RY617 $400 each and they're made in the U.S.A.!!!!!
brian
87 Newell Tag 40'-8v92TA-HT740 #139
2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:17 AM   #5
tuga

I like Toyo tires; I have used them for about the last 13 years. They hold up well and give a smooth ride. I think that all major name tires are good.

Be sure to weigh your coach front axle and rear axle(s) and buy the tires that will safely support your weight according to the tire manufacturer chart; i.e. load range H. If the tires are rated at 65 mph then drive 65 mph not 75 mph. This is important along with keeping the tires properly inflated. Newell can tell you how much air you should be running and you can cross check it with the tire manufacturer's tire chart.

A tire that has run at 80% of the correct air pressure is no longer considered safe by the tire manufacturer. Put another way if your tire should have 100 psi for the weight you are carrying; if you drive it with 80 psi for any length of time you have ruined the tire! The sidewalls have been compromised. So it is really important to determine the correct air pressure for the weight being carried.

I'm not trying to sound like a know it all - I just want you to be safe.

Have fun in your Newell!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote