89 Newell for Sale - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
rellick

Default 89 Newell for Sale

G'day all, Has anyone inquired about this Newell? I called the guy a couple of times and was thinking of going to Pheonix Az (where it actually is) to take a look. It turns out the coach is not what the seller states in the ad. The first time I talked to him there was nothing wrong with it, the more questions I asked the more things came up, such as needing batteries, tires, he didnt know about airbags, etc. He did say he replaced a rad hose which had me worried about it being overheated in the past, after he sent more pics of it the rear bumper was bent. So i thought for the price it would be worth it to have an inspection done on it at a reputable shop, when I asked him if we could have this done he downright refused and insisted the coach is in good shape. I told him I would NEVER consider buying the coach unless I could have it inspected. There is something fishy going on with this coach. His price started out at 49,000? in the previous ads he posted, then he reposts ads dropping about 10k every week or two.

[h=1]Dist of Columbia, Recreational Vehicles - Post Your Free Classified Ad Today![/h]
[h=2]Buy, Sell, Trade, Barter, Jobs, Events, Personals and more.[/h]

Avoid scams by dealing locally! Never wire funds via Western Union, Moneygram or any other service.
Vehicles > Recreational Vehicles >
Flag Ad |
Please flag with care:

Send to a Friend | Print Ad
[h=3]1989 Newell 40ft detroit diesel pusher[/h][TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="width: 350"]Location: Dist of Columbia, Washington
Posted on: Thursday - December 12, 2013 12:00
Expires: Wednesday - January 01, 2014 12:00
Price: $27000
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Detroit silver eagle 92 450 horsepower
4 speed Allison transmission with only 100k original miles
9000 w diesel generator
Fully fully loaed air suspension air brakes exhaust brakes
Back up camera 24.5 aluminum Akola rims all the way around
100 gallon holding tank's
Fully self contained central air heat
Awnings
body and paint in great condition
Very nice and extremely clean in and out
Everything works great Road ready
Runs drives great clear az titel
originally in 1989 cost $400,000
Must see to appreciate call for more info
480 485 4998

Listing# 1108649542

22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
ccjohnson

Keith, I have a friend in PHX that actually went to look at it. The guy started 8V92 & generator. It will most likely need tires.

XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
ccjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
rellick

Thanks Clint, what was his opinion of it? what worries me is the rad hose issue and the refusal for an inspection. I asked him if the air bags have been replaced, all he would say was "the airbags are good!! the coach goes up and down!" He seemed dishonest. His ad says road ready?
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 12-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
ccjohnson

He said it seemed to be in overall pretty good condition. But he doesn't know much about RV's! He only had about half an hr to look at it. I told him to watch out for tires. He said tread is good but some weather checking. He didn't get date codes. Newell has not seen this coach in Miami at least since 2008 when they went to new records system. The guy was asking 29K on Craigs list. My friend said something about right front brake. May have just been low air when they first started 8V92.
XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
Old 12-17-2013, 03:21 AM   #5
macgrg

I looked at this coach yesterday. It looks pretty good not too many body defects and the interior with the exception of dry leather is good. It needs batteries and tires. The seller jumped the coach with his truck and it started right up, idled fine sounded good. It ran for most of the hour we were there. I stopped and started it several times. The genny has <1000 hours and started up fine and sounded good. The gauges indicated appropriate voltage, the current draw was of no use as he only had two mismatched coach batteries and two junk engine batteries. There was no water in the tank and no hose available to test the water systems. All manuals are present, but no service records other than a recent fuel pump purchase. The seller and a friend installed it. There is a new radiator hose installed and a couple of new belts. The engine compartment and genny were pretty clean for a rig of this vintage. He was really pressing my wife and I to buy it right then. He even called me back today to try another push, but I told him no way without oil/trans fluid analysis and mech inspection. Email me if you would like any more info or my phone number.
macgrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
rellick

Default Bad deal!!

Well folks, it looks like the truth came out on this one!! I called this guy about the coach and knew something was up when he refused a mechanical inspection. Whoever posted this ad, thank-you for saving someone a potential bad deal!!
Newell caution caution
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 01-18-2014, 08:05 PM   #7
ccjohnson

Keith,
I wonder what the engine problem is that is mentioned in the Craig's list post? 2 people said it starts & sounds great. Absent more info I am still conflicted as to what the actual engine problem would be. Oil in water or water in oil would be a definite red flag, but no one mentioned these conditions. Maybe an oil analysis would tell more.
XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
Old 01-18-2014, 10:37 PM   #8
rellick

Clint, the only problem is he wont allow an inspection, I wonder if the new rad hose has something do do with it? Maybe it was overheated? There is definately something fishy going on with it.
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 01-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #9
ccjohnson

Keith,
Here is the reply I got from the Craig's List guy when I asked about specific engine problem:
This motorhome has either injector problems or it has a burnt valve or two. Once you fix that their are other problems.....I talked to the previous owner and he told me he only drove it once, bought it in 05 and drove it to New Mexico where he was pulled over by the police because the motorhome was all over the road...the officer thought he was drunk....the previous owner was a police officer so he guaranteed he was not drunk just could not keep the vehicle in a straight line. The previous owner told me he had an estimate of 28000 to get the vehicle roadworthy...that is why he decided to sell it for so little.....the vehicle still has all of the issues that the previous owner talked about. If you are buying the motorhome have it looked at by a qualified diesel mechanic. Good luck. I posted this for a friend on CL as he was interested in buying it but when we found out all of the issues he backed away and did not make an offer. I have other info if you are interested.
XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
Old 01-20-2014, 01:46 AM   #10
Dave-n-Marjorie

Ok I’m totally confused. Two people said it ran fine in person for an hour plus, now the only problem is that they wont allow inspection. Tires and batteries are a maintenance item. I don’t know the values of these classics, but even if you have to put $15k in it, which is A LOT, $35k total invested seems like a good deal to have a nice classic ready to hit the road. Maybe I’m totally wrong and classics are worth much much less but I doubt it.

Another thing that makes me laugh……Looking over some old posts, there seems to be a few people on here that basically think everything that is a good deal is a scam. Sometimes it’s a typo on the ad, or sometimes the person selling doesn’t give them the hours they want with a million questions. Sometimes the specs are off, or description is off.

Working for a dealer with multiple locations, we sold over 1,000 motorized RV’s last year with units from 1970’s – to 2014’s. Guess how many buyers wanted inspections of the engine, oil samples, ect…zero….none…..nada…..It’s funny that people think that if a coach is on a dealer lot, it must be perfect, but if a private buyer or small dealer is selling at a good deal or super low price on ebay or craigslist, there must be something wrong with it.

My coach was a perfect example. The owner died and his son was selling it at his car dealership. The son didn’t want to deal with the dozens of calls a day, so threw all calls to the used car sales manager. Now how many used car sales managers know about Newells????? People on here thought it was a scam, as he could not answer basic questions. He kept calling it a camper, didn’t know it was a diesel or how long it was, ect…. Those people who hesitated and thought it was a scam, gave me an opportunity. I left within 20 minutes after hanging up the phone with him and drove 12 hours to see it. I wasn’t thinking scam, I was thinking this is a non-educated seller and this is a deal. I was right, and wrote a check on the spot. It was contingent on a few things, but money talks best when you wave it in front of the seller in person, not on the phone. I bought it with non working aqua hot, non working fridge, non working toilet, non working auto level, all of which the seller never told me about before I got there. I negotiated those items in the deal AFTER I inspected it in person. They were all nickel and dime items, but I made sure they would come down enough to cover the repairs….plus!!

Not everything is a scam, and I would never think a buyer is serious until they are there in person or leave a deposit. The phone just doesn’t cut it in this day and age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellick View Post
Clint, the only problem is he wont allow an inspection, I wonder if the new rad hose has something do do with it? Maybe it was overheated? There is definately something fishy going on with it.
1996 Newell #423
47' Bath and a Half
Hilton Head Island, SC
Dave-n-Marjorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:59 AM   #11
rellick

Dave, if you read the ad and talked to the seller, the actual coach and the things wrong with it were two different things, I was just trying to get some more details on the coach that Clint has pointed out. The seller stated it is road ready, and it is far from that.
The seller also stated it was his grandfathers coach, he was lying about that too, is this how some dealers sell their rvs too?
There should be no reason a seller should refuse a mechanical inspection unless they are hiding something like some of the scumbags out there. I know I wont take a chance and have to buy an engine for a coach thats 2500 miles away, never mind taking the time to go there in person when there are inspector's out there that do this kind of thing every day for a couple of hundred bucks. It would be senseless not to imho.
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 01-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #12
Dave-n-Marjorie

Surprising that the dealer would state "inspections not allowed". That right there shows he is hiding something. You are right about this guy.

Most all dealers I know allow inspections by licensed bonded RV tech as long as a DEPOSIT has been put down from buyer. Did he say no inspections if you put deposit down? Or did you not want to put a deposit down and still have it inspected?

Another issue we have with inspectors, they say they are licensed and bonded but when they show up at our facility, they can't provide documentation so they are turned away. It is waaaay too much of a liability for us to let an unlicensed unbonded person on our property going through a coach we still own.

As for a few hundred dollars cost, most mobile, certified, licensed and bonded RV techs charge $100 an hour and a full inspection or pdi, would cost around $500 min, not counting any engine analysis. Doubtful a couple hundred would get you anything reliable.

Once I had to cover for our internet manager when he was out for a month. It was terrible. All these calls, questions, emails, people wanting an inspection, but yet no deposit. I really got sick of it quickly.

I believe there is a HUGE dealer in Texas that won't even talk numbers or inspections until a contract has been written and deposit is taken. They are very successful. That is the way it's supposed to work.

Deposit = serious buyer, no deposit = tire kicker.

Sounds like this guy is a liar, and we all know some sales people will say anything to get a deal, but I always focus more on the RV than the person selling it. Hope this makes sense.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:05 PM   #13
rellick

Dave, he never stated he was a dealer, it was his grandfathers coach and said he actually put about 8000 miles on it himself. He did downright refuse an inspection but would allow someone to come and "look at it"
I have the same outlook as you, I dont mind buying something that needs work, the initial price is less and it allows for new upgrades to be done the way you want it. Some honesty is all I ask for, I would have liked to buy it, put new tires, batteries, air bags etc. then I know what I have. If the engine is bad I would repower it with a 60 series detroit and a 4060 allison trans, but the price would have to be less. I prefer the classic body style, but for this one for me it doesnt pencil out, perhaps if it was closer it might.
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 01-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #14
Dave-n-Marjorie

Sounds good, but I would personally never let distance be a factor in getting a good deal. When you say “if the engine is bad” how can you tell? I’m just wondering. I don’t know about engines at all, was just told by a mechanic no matter what, make sure you get a Newell with a series 60.

So do the engines go bad often on these things? It ran fine for two people and I guess could be test driven, so how do you know? Is the mileage limited on these things? I know of series 60’s on here for sale with close to 200,000 miles. Does that mean it will need a new engine soon? I thought these things were supposed to last?

What about transmissions? How long do they last? There are so many unknowns when buying a used RV of any brand. Should I just assume the worst? I guess if the engine was running bad and misfiring and blowing jet black smoke at idle, I would know the engine is bad, but how else would you know?

Same thing with transmission. I could test drive it 20 miles and it shifts fine, but 1,000 miles later the transmission could just lock up. How do you know?

Should we just “assume the worst” when we negotiate for these things?

1996 Newell #423
47' Bath and a Half
Hilton Head Island, SC
Old 01-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #15
MrE

A common phrase in many ads is "everything works", kind of reminds me of "trust me" and throws up a red flag. The '89 might have been an excellent deal, the pictures looked good, but I'm with Keith on this one.

There's another classic in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that might be worth looking into. They don't give the year, but I believe it's an 85 or earlier based on the shifter (my 86 has an electric shifter) and the lack of a tag axle Newell started putting on the 40 footers in 87.
Click image for larger version

Name:	00m0m_iPIcstLTdo7_600x450.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	4626Name:  01717_apsrzhPGgWM_600x450.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  6.1 KB
Newell motorcoach for full time living - $25000 (DFW area)

Newell coach 40', all standard Newell features plus new couches convertible to single beds, king dome remote satellite receiver and flat screen television. Great for full time living plus you can tow your other vehicle to the next work site. Fully furnished, just bring your clothes.

Contact me for the full list of equipment.
Coach has 170,000 miles on 475 hp turbo Detroit engine, diesel generator, good rubber and new windows
All records available
Coach can be delivered if desired and driving instruction if necessary
Need to sell so give a call
Newell motorcoach for full time living
Attached Images

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:45 PM   #16
rellick

That is why an engine and transmission oil analysis is a good idea, they can tell what is going on inside without physically taking it apart. Sometimes an engine will smoke and misfire and its only a bad injector but the engine is still good. On the other hand an engine can appear to run good but has a bad bearing etc. same in the transmission. It all depends on how it was looked after, it doesn't matter what engine, old or new, or how many miles are on it.
We are just trying to look out for one another on this forum and would hate too see anyone have to do an unexpected engine or transmission replacement, an oil sample can prevent this from happening.
If it does have a bad engine there is a chance the price will come down accordingly, making it feasable for an engine upgrade to the more desirable 60 series dd.
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 01-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #17
Dave-n-Marjorie

I do agree with the oil analysis. After I wrote a $10,000 deposit on my Newell, the sale was contingent on oil and trans analysis. Now the Series 60 only had 65k miles, but I did it anyway. I have never heard of that till I read it on this site and have owned over a dozen diesel rv’s and never had it done. I don’t think our dealership has ever had one request in 5 years and thousands of diesel rv sales including some Newells, Prevosts, and Foretravels. It seems to be more a Newell forum thing than whats normal in the industry.

Nothing is for certain. If someone wants to trick you they will. The DD diesel mechanic told me the easy way to beat an analysis is to just change the oil, or even ½ the oil and trans fluid if you didn’t want to spend a lot of money. That throws the analysis right out the window.

I know we all are trying to protect each other, but also we need to think not everything is a scam. That guy selling the 89 could easily fool and scam us if he wanted too. He could install brand new cheap Chinese tires, new wal-mart batteries, change the oil and trans fluid, and advertise it for $29k and the ad would read “New tires, batteries, needs nothing, full inspections encouraged with deposit”. Some buyer will get all excited and get the analysis done and feel great about their deal. They drive off in the sunset, and never have an issue, or maybe have lots of issues. Who knows for certain. Any used vehicle is a risk, no matter how old or new.

1996 Newell #423
47' Bath and a Half
Hilton Head Island, SC
Old 01-20-2014, 05:00 PM   #18
rellick

Oil analysis is very common in the trucking and heavy equipment industry. Companies will do this on a regular basis as a preventative measure also to avoid costly repairs and downtime. I realize there is legitimate deals out there and scams as well, the only thing we can do sometimes is hope for the best, but with pre-inspections and caution it narrows the chances of a potential scam. Obviously in this case this guy wasn't very good at it or he would have done like you said with the cheap fixes and the oil change deal. Maybe he is mentally ill or something, who knows.
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 01-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #19
ccjohnson

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water!! Nothing wrong with putting a re-manufactured 8V92 back in it if engine is bad!!!! Nothing to modify that way & you get to keep that 2 stroke sound!!
XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
Old 01-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #20
rellick

No offence Clint!! They do sound awsome!! Lol

22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list