New owner 426 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2011, 01:38 AM   #1
W. Mark Hellinger

Default New owner 426

Hello Newell folks.

We're the proud new owners of coach #426 ("Delila" as she seems to have been named by the origonal owners).

I just got "Delila" home this weekend. The maiden voyage/trip home of approx. 2100 miles was a bit of a bonding experience... We got caught in a wind/weather event coming up I-25 through S. Wyoming Friday. We seemed to have weathered the experience relatively unscathed. I don't know how much of a side wind it takes to flip one of these things, but I did learn that she'll talk to you went it's seemingly time to duck for cover as the antenna alarm, signaling that the wind is picking up the antenna from it's docking position, will get your attention.

I have quite a bit to learn about the proper care & feeding of our new to us digs and am glad to have found this forum. I'm wondering how to get the generator assemblage to slide out if anyone here has any tips?

Best of wishes from Farmington, WA.
W. Mark Hellinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:03 AM   #2
rheavn

Mark,
Welcome to the site & the Newell family. I'm sure you're going to love "Delila". If your coach is like mine, open the right front bay. Pull the black knob that releases the generator lock. Then pull on the red knob that is the air solenoid to open. On my coach I have to have the engine running to have enough air pressure to open.
Good luck & feel free to ask questions as they come up. You will find the folks here are very helpful & knowledgeable.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:33 AM   #3
W. Mark Hellinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheavn View Post
If your coach is like mine, open the right front bay. Pull the black knob that releases the generator lock. Then pull on the red knob that is the air solenoid to open. On my coach I have to have the engine running to have enough air pressure to open.
Thanks for the reply and advice.

Yes, it appears that our coaches are similar in respect to sliding out the genset. It appears that "Delila's" black generator release knob (cable) is possibly stuck. The air solenoid seems to be functioning... but the release cable doesn't move (with a reasonable amount of effort). I suspect the cable just needs a little TLC and tinkering... which so-far, the few other TLC/tinkering things I've administered, she seems to respond to favorably. Your advice is most helpful to know that the black knob is suspose to pull out to release the generator lock.

Knowing for-sure what something is suppose to do is the first step in getting something to do what it's suppose to do.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
HoosierDaddy

Welcome Mark,
On my '93 the release cable has a locking knob. I have to rotate the knob counter-clockwise before pulling on it. It is much like the engine throttle-up cables used on commercial trucks. Frequent lubrication will aid in proper operation.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
jwe648

Default Info

I looked at a 96' that was for sale south of Dallas.. can't remember the # Couldn't get the gen slide out... Found out that Newell or someone had installes a secondary valve to shut off all air to that contol valve because of leaks.. Had to turn that on then the lock and knob worked as advertized.. The owner had just beel unlocking the lock & pulling it out... (Fact or Fiction?) Fact...
Old 03-16-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
W. Mark Hellinger

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

The cable was stuck. I unstuck it with a little wiggling and some deftly applied PB Blaster... and patience... and persistance. Works like a champ now. When the weather straightens up I'll dissassemble the works and lube it up properly. I suspect things would get complicated if that cable broke in the locked position.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
Neweller

Mark, welcome to the Newell and family and our fantastic member website. Looking forward to someday seeing your fabulous coach.

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
HoosierDaddy

Yes, Mark...If the cable breaks it requires a crawl under the front of the coach..I've been contemplating fabricating a rod mechanism to lock the gen. in place.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
express1

Welcome in Mark, our coach was built 11 steps down the line...#437 sure we have a lot in common. That antenna alarm is an easy fix, most of the time. Just hand bend the "u" shaped bracket that the lever sets in. We've driven thru stout winds out of Santa Fe. and fought the steering but never felt the attempt to "roll"
safe travels..
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote