VMSpc SilverLeaf Electronics For 1995 Newell Coach - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2007, 03:34 PM   #1
Richard and Rhonda

Default VMSpc SilverLeaf Electronics For 1995 Newell Coach

I just installed the VMSpc system from Silverleaf VMSpc | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc. on a 95 with a Series 60 Detroit. Most of you know that the VMS systems can give you all kinds of engine and transmission data, and it is the system now used in the new Newells.

The coach was origninally equipped with the Detroit Diesel Pro Driver. It was kaput, and the replacement cost was about a $1000. I bought the VMSps to install on my laptop for about $400.

The install went according to the excellent instructions on the VMS website except I did not have the round diagnostic plug at the front of the coach. I had the rectangular 12 pin plug. VMS supplied a wiring diagram, and I was able to figure out the hot, ground, data +, and data - wires pretty quickly. Four wire taps, the kind that you squeeze together to splice two wires without cutting into the first, were used. I was in business in about 20 minutes. I routed the cable to exit so the laptop could ride on the console.

The point is that it's a nice toy, you can easily program it to get the information you want, and the install is very easy.

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
encantotom

I installed the same system on my 1990 and it is great. it was just as easy to install and worked first try. the temp gauge on my coach was very flakey and this makes it a cinch to know exactly what the temps that the ddec2 is seeing. the guys at silverleaf are very helpful and friendly as well.

now i am yet to decide how to have my laptop a little more secure.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:11 AM   #3
fulltiming

I have been using the VMSpc for some time on my 8V92. The digital temperature gauge and digital boost gauge are wonderful and the additional information such as fuel temperature, horsepower, torque, output torque, instantaneous miles per gallon and gallons per hour, etc. are very helpful.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:50 PM   #4
fulltiming

A recent issue with a blown blower gasket on my 8V92 proved the benefit of the VMSpc. I began to notice the digital oil pressure gauge on the VMSpc fluctuating more than normal. Then I watched as the pressure slowly decreased from 58-60 psi to 48-54 psi. I pulled onto shoulder of the interstate and found oil covering the side of my tow car and the right rear of the coach. Without the VMSpc, I might have done significant engine damage before the small analog dash gauge warned me I had a problem.

I have created wav files to give me verbal warnings of dropping oil pressure (50 and 40 psi) or if the temperature has reached certain milestones (190, 195, 198 and 203 degrees). These are informational but attract my eye to the gauge unless I know that the current driving conditions would result in the verbal reminder of the situation (i.e. coming to a stop will result in the lower oil pressure message activating as the oil pressure drops so fast that the higher message never gets a chance to play).

Those with more sophisticated electronic engine controls than the DDEC-2 may not need to quite as careful as the computer monitors and controls the engine more carefully.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 12-03-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
hlfdzn

Just curious what odometer multiplier are you using on VMSpc for your coach? We're presently using 1.16, but this was based on using GPS for an equivalent. Our coach has 24.5 tires.

Michael has demonstrated some great uses for this tool with his turbo issue. How are the rest of you using it? My greatest joy (so far) was confirming the inaccuracy of the engine temp gauge. Rather than being 200 or greater, its showing an average 178-180 degrees.

Paul
'93 Newell 45' #320
hlfdzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:05 AM   #6
fulltiming

16% is one heck of a correction factor. Mine is set for 6% based on GPS and mile markers/stop watch readings.

I find that the temperature gauge on mine is 'variable'. My dash gauge has markings at 180, 200, a hash mark (which I suspect is supposed to be 225), then a mark at 250. At temperatures of 180 on the dash gauge, VMS reads about 178. At 200 on the dash gauge, the VMS reads about 194. Above 200 on the dash gauge the difference grows tremendously. By 203 on the VMS, the dash gauge is reading what I would interpolate as almost 220. Analog gauges are for the birds when it comes to accuracy.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740