Hi from Dave and Sharon # 656 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2009, 12:49 AM   #1
asuperdave20

Default Hi from Dave and Sharon # 656

Hello everyone. We purchased 2003 Newell # 656 triple slide with rear bath and 1/2 bath a year ago. It also has the Valid electric slide and leveling system. We have been rving for 12 years and just recently upgraded from a newmar mountain aire. We split our time between our Outdoor Resorts RV lot on Hilton Head Island, SC and our home in Winter Haven, FL. We also own a RV lot at Florida Grande Motorcoach Resort in Webster, FL.

I am sure I will have lots of dumb questions in the future. I have been lurking on this site for about 2 years before we found our Newell through a private owner. We will also be attending the 2009 RV supershow in Tampa florida on the 16th and 17th, will be at the daytona 500 in Feb. and sebring race this March.

We still work full time so no summer trips for us yet, but look forward to meeting lots of Newell owners in the future.

Dave and Sharon, Newell 656

asuperdave20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:35 AM   #2
tuga

Hi Dave & Sharon, welcome to NewellClassic.com. Glad to have you on board. Feel free to ask any questions and we will do our best to answer them.

We are having a mini rally in Austin, TX this April 19-23, 2009. We'd love to meet you and see your beautiful Newell. We are staying at the LaHacienda RV Resort, so if you can make it just call the RV resort and make your reservations.

Enjoy that beautiful coach!

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:35 AM   #3
fulltiming

A big welcome to Newellclassic.com. Congratulations on your purchase. I know you will be happy with your Newell. We will try to provide answers to any questions you might have or at least point you in the right direction. Let us know how we can help make your travel experience even better.

Having one of the newer Newells, you may be able to help others on this site also as you gain experience with systems that may not exist on the earlier models.

I know that travel time is likely limited for you but I would second Tuga's invitation to come by Austin in April (depending on how long you like to drive in a day it really isn't as long a journey as it may seem). There will be several folks that arrive a day or two early and won't be able to stay the entire time so if you can carve out a few days it might be an interesting experience and a chance to meet a number of the people that post here.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Richard and Rhonda

Welcome Dave and Sharon,

If you've been lurking, then you already know this is a pretty informal and hands on crowd. A few common denominators is my original home is SC so I know Hilton Head well. Vacationed many times there or on Fripp Island. Also, I sold a Mountain Aire to buy our coach. Although the Newmar was a great product, I have never looked back, the Newell is a different animal altogether.

We look forward to hearing about the neat things you discover on your new toy, and also getting to scratch our heads over some new "issues".

If you are ever in the DFW area, please let us know.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
HoosierDaddy

Hi Dave and Sharon,
Welcome...Stop in if you're ever in Indiana....
Dean
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
chockwald

Welcome Dave and Sharon.....seeing your username reminds me of Super Dave Osborne who used to have a cable TV show years ago. Would love to see ya'll at the mini-rally in Texas in April....you would get a chance to meet most of the active members of this website all in one place at one time.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #7
asuperdave20

Thanks for the welcome everyone. We will not be able to be at the Texas mini rally as we have most of our vacations planned for the year. We will be at the National RV Supershow and Rally at the Tampa fairgrounds next weekend and the FMCA Annual event in Perry, Ga in March. I hope there will be some Newell owners at these two huge national events.

After reading many of the posts and using the search feature, it seems the majority of Newell owners on this group have pre 2000 coaches. I guess there were many changes in Newells the past 10 years or so. Since I purchased through an individual owner that was having health issues, I did not get any training. The coach did come with all manuals, receipts, ect.. and I have called Newell on a few occasions, but it would be great to hear from 2000 and later owners who know how the newer systems work.

The coach is in amazing shape. I only had to replace all the tires, and batteries as they were original and 5 years old. I did get the engine/trans/aquahot/generator fully serviced at Marathon Coach in Tampa and they did a great job. Did a full PDI ($2,000) but worth it. I also needed a new backup monitor, and 120v water pump and some audio visual components.

I am sure alot of questions will follow, and we are lovin our Newell.

Dave and Sharon #656
Old 01-10-2009, 12:42 AM   #8
fulltiming

As I recall the water pump used on your coach is either a Grundfos or a Headhunter. If it is a Grundfos JetpaQ water pump, there are several sources on the internet for the pumps and potentially for the parts.

You might take a look at:
http://www.marineparts.com/partspage...and/grund1.htm or
http://www.awqinc.com/jetpaq.htm

There is a manual for the combined pump/accumulator model at http://tinyurl.com/qcjps that includes a troubleshooting guide.

The manufacturer's address is:
GRUNDFOS Pumps Corporation • 2555 Clovis Avenue • Clovis, CA 93612

The Headhunter is a good pump and is currently available but sources for either product is limited and prices are high as they are primarily used on yachts.There are not many sources for Headhunter pumps. You can get one through Newell or contact OceanLink Inc. terri@oceanlinkinc.com who I know carries Headhunter.

Sorry to hear you will not be able to attend the mini-rally.

Most of the changes to Newell's are evolutionary rather than revolutionary. The major styling changes took place in 1990 with the series 2000 model, the change in front caps in 2000, the changes to the 2000i in 2005 and the P2000i in late 2006. Other major changes included going to all electric coaches in 1994, change from 8V92 to Series 60 in 1994, use of slide-outs in 1997, use of air-operated entry door 2001 (may be a couple in 2000), change from HWH hydraulic to Valid electric slides during 2003, change to ZF steerable tag axle during 2004, use of the Cat C-15 with available 10 speed ZF transmission during 2006, use of engines requiring ULSD 2009 (also coach 1229 in 2008).
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 01-10-2009, 01:31 AM   #9
asuperdave20

Thanks so much for the info Michael. I probably should have been more clear on the pump (headhunter) and alpine backup monitor. Marathon Coach in Tampa had them in stock, so they changed it out when I was getting the engine service. The new pump was very expensive ($750) plus one hour labor to install it, but it works awesome. I do like to fix things myself, once I understand how a system works.

Thanks again,

Dave #656
Old 01-10-2009, 03:40 AM   #10
larryweikart

Welcome asuperdave20 to the wonderful world of Newell! We use our Newell in our business of Raceing Hospitality and always provide team hospitality at Sebring. If you get into the paddock at Sebring come into Vanessa's Hospitality and introduce yourself, we'd love to meet you and share some Newell info. Larry
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #11
David and Teresa

Welcome from a couple of newbees. We are also trying to make the Tampa show next week. We're in Orlando, so it's close. You will love your Newell.

David and Teresa
1999 Newell 45' Coach #513
David and Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #12
tuga

Default Rear monitor repair

Dave & Sharon,

Welcome to NewellClassic.com

If you need to replace/repair your back up monitor try http://www.rvcams.com/merchant2/merc...tegory_Code=17 in Baton Rouge, LA. Tim Lazaroe is really a helpful and nice guy. I have heard many good reports on him trying to help people save money on the back up systems.

Look forward to meeting you and your wife one day.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 01-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #13
asuperdave20

Hey Tuga, thanks for the info. I ended up having Marathon Coach replace my monitor since it was an Alpine and worked together with my Alpine passenger GPS system. I will save your post in case my camera goes out. The pricing from them looks great.

I actually talked to you on the phone a few months ago and we exchanged emails when I was looking at your coach to purchase. We sure love the rear bath floorplan!!!

Dave #656
Old 01-13-2009, 02:37 AM   #14
fulltiming

Dave, I will second Tuga's recommendation. I purchased a camera from RVCAMS and the support I received from Tim was excellent. Great folks. So if you do need a camera, check out Tim first.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 01-15-2009, 12:43 AM   #15
tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuperdave20 View Post
Hey Tuga, thanks for the info. I ended up having Marathon Coach replace my monitor since it was an Alpine and worked together with my Alpine passenger GPS system. I will save your post in case my camera goes out. The pricing from them looks great.

I actually talked to you on the phone a few months ago and we exchanged emails when I was looking at your coach to purchase. We sure love the rear bath floorplan!!!

Dave #656
Sorry I haven't answered sooner, have been traveling for the last couple of days and just got home.

Good to hear from you Dave. Does your coach #656 have the rear bath? Wish I could have helped you save some $$$$ on that camera.

Nice to hear from you again.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 01-15-2009, 03:14 AM   #16
asuperdave20

Hi Tuga, Yes it has the rear bath plus the 1/2 bath. Double couches just like yours. We have been looking for that floorplan for a year (in our price range) LOL. It was between the 2003 triple slide we bought, yours, and a 99 in (michigan) with bath and 1/2.

Dave #656
Old 01-15-2009, 01:15 PM   #17
tuga

Dave,

Karen and I just love the rear bath + half bath. We tend to travel with a friend or two and the half bath really makes life easier. Plus when we tailgate for LSU games the half bath keeps everyone from walking thru our bedroom to use the bathroom.

Post some pictures of your '03 if you can. We would love to see it.

Boy, these low diesel prices are really nice aren't they! Makes me want to take a trip to Alaska!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 01-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #18
asuperdave20

10 Pictures of our coach were already up in the 2003 gallery album #3. The previous owner must have posted them here. I was surprised to see them. Looks exactly the same as it does now. I did have the diamond shield front nose mask taken off as it had mold growing under it, but the paint underneath was like brand new.

Dave #656
Old 01-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #19
tuga

Dave,

Thanks for identifying your pictures in the gallery. I like the 2 lavatories in the rear bath. Great colors. Look forward to meeting you and seeing your Newell.

Coach #512
2005 Pilot