Hello All! McCowans - 1973 Newell - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
McCowans

Default Hello All! McCowans - 1973 Newell

Hello All!

My husband Michael and I own a 1973 Newell Private Coach. It's had 2 owners - 1st owner in military with great record-keeping skills then my father. My father owned it for 7 years and put less than 100 miles on it. It was not running until his 6th year with it. My father-in-law rebuilt the 391 engine, my father did a number of mechanical replacements to it - heat pump, brakes, transmission, rebuilt carbeurator, etc. Since we have owned it (June 2007) we have added 6 new tires/rims, remodeled the interior (see our pics, before/afters coming soon, thousands invested!), new Peninsula windows, new Peterbuilt windshields, replaced A/C, vents, new fridge, new furniture, flooring, awning, etc... We plan to replace plumbing lines and paint her in the fall. I am in the process of tracking down rear-view mirrors (heated, light) and marker lights (all are rusted). She is in great shape and drives like a dream!

We just took our first road trip from Stevensville, MD to Assateague, MD for 8 days. We got it out of the remodelers the week before - that was a close call. We had minor issues - brake smoke (adjusted shoes to pads), backfiring, brake lights went out - overall had a great time. We will work out those issues soon.

Please say hi when you get a chance and look forward to learning from others here. We are 30-somethings and plan to just RV locally on the weekends. Glad to be here!

Marcey McCowan

McCowans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:13 AM   #2
fulltiming

Welcome Marcey. You must have been an inspiration for Tom. Both of you have almost completely redone the interiors of your coaches during the past year.

Glad to see you are taking a positive attitude about the shakedown problems.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
chockwald

If you have time to post some before and after pictures we would love to see them. Welcome to our community, and enjoy your travels!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:44 PM   #4
zcasa

Welcome, as well, Marcey:

We are all 30 somethings with our Newell toys. I'm 39 and holding, holding, holding. LOL
We, too, are enjoying our Newell, and are finally, after three years of ownership, taking our first extended trip for 7 weeks. Everyone on this site is extremely helpful and forthcoming with all of our benefits and issues that arise.

Continue to post all of your experiences in upgrading and updating your Newell.

David and Denise
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #5
HoosierDaddy

Welcome Marcey,
I'm starting on my second Newell resurrection experience...Lots of fun! I love the Classic Newell look. It's great to see "youngsters" like you getting into the lifestyle.

Dean
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:46 PM   #6
encantotom

welcome Marcey,

i got my 90 newell june 07 and have done a complete updating of it as well. we are on a 5 week trip in it right now and am staying at fort langley BC tonite.

i would love to see or hear about what you did. i have put a ton of pictures and posts about all the things i have done to ours.

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:00 PM   #7
McCowans

Thank you for the warm welcome. I will certainly get those after pics posted. Before pics are in the Gallery under 1973 - Dk Brn/Black.

We just updated the plumbing to the head, replaced the head floor and added a new toilet. The we took our 3rd trip back to Assateague for a long weekend. Needless to say, we know that the blk water tank has leaks now (found out the hard way) so this will be replaced in November.

We have put a lot of work and money into her and it is slowing down finally. I know we have work that will come up and it will stressful. Hopefully our travels will be safe and not leave us stranded. It's time to get it on the road and have fun.

We get estimates for paint in November. May strip it and paint later, as paint on it now has chipped badly and cheaper option now. Then would paint it later. Hopefully I am pleasantly surprised with the estimates and can get it painted this year.

take care
McCowans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:45 AM   #8
KimnKim

Marcey:

Echoing regards of the others...welcome. You'll find this site to be very helpful, both in terms of quality of information and enthusiasm.

Toured your coach photos in the Gallery. Good for you guys.

Several folks in this Newell community undertaking partial or complete renovations. Seems an endless source of time and money consumption, but very therapeutic, I find. Check out my '87 interior renos in the Gallery, Album #4.

Again, welcome.

Coach #186
1987 Wide Body - Transplanted Texas Longhorn, eh!
KimnKim is offline   Reply With Quote